Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Bob and Qorax!
Thanks for the upbeat responses!
The items you mention are worth considering no doubt.

My point however was to discourage naive ideas of what I consider most important - job security - especially at a time when the economy is not exactly at its brightest.

I know that IT, accountancy, nursing and physiotherapy are GREAT fields even in these times and one can get a well paying job in a relatively short time. There may well be other professions I have missed.

For the gutsy, of course with capital to invest business is yet another good option.

Most others I am afraid Sirs, will need to go through a grind of updating qualifications and a longish bout of survival jobs in order to "get there." That may or may not be a good thing depending on family support, age, how much savings you have and most importantly attitude.

Yes, for fighters there is always room, (why not?) but equipping yourself with information on how suitable your qualifications are can only be considered wise.

Hopefully intelligent and well meaning persons like yourselves will not counter that. 8)

bsrk68

Dec 15, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/01/1999
LANDED..........
09/12/1999
Honolulu said:
Bob and Qorax!
Thanks for the upbeat responses!
The items you mention are worth considering no doubt.

My point however was to discourage naive ideas of what I consider most important - job security - especially at a time when the economy is not exactly at its brightest.

I know that IT, accountancy, nursing and physiotherapy are GREAT fields even in these times and one can get a well paying job in a relatively short time. There may well be other professions I have missed.

For the gutsy, of course with capital to invest business is yet another good option.

Most others I am afraid Sirs, will need to go through a grind of updating qualifications and a longish bout of survival jobs in order to "get there." That may or may not be a good thing depending on family support, age, how much savings you have and most importantly attitude.

Yes, for fighters there is always room, (why not?) but equipping yourself with information on how suitable your qualifications are can only be considered wise.

Hopefully intelligent and well meaning persons like yourselves will not counter that. 8)
Hi Honolulu,

My intention never was to counter your statements (this should be taken as a healthy debate only). I was trying to further provide facts and address your question as to what value this Canadian set-up brings to your family. Make no mistake...I do get the point you are trying to make.

Having said that, I also firmly believe that learned folks make informed decisions while taking this most important step in life. Ground reality could be far far away from what you may read in opinion polls and articles. Unless you experience this first-hand, you will never know. There's no way in the world that you can ever ration yourself just by researching. Each individual's circumstances are unique. There's nowhere in this World that one can take things for granted or feel that their job is ever-secure. Canada is no different than many European countries or down under.

This forum is all about coming together and help share experiences so that one is benefited in some way. It is also about creating a positive aura and synergy. To me, your topic header "Think Deeply" conveys a Warning rather than encouragement to really think deeply and act (sorry, that's human Psychology)....if you know what I mean. It would be nice if you could also highlight few of the positives that you may have experienced in your short stay in Canada. Mix it up Sir....cocktails are fun !!

bsrk68

Dec 15, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/01/1999
LANDED..........
09/12/1999
qorax said:
Very well said, Dada !

Some more, if u permit:
1. Free Legal Aid [Lawyer] - to represent u in the courts, if need be & u can't afford [where else in the globe?].
2. Assured Pension after 65, whether u worked or not.
3. Prescription Drugs also get to be free after 65 [the time when we need them the most].
4. In medical emergency they'd perform the best surgical procedures & won't let u go home till u r FIT. All for FREE!
5. U can legally challenge a Police Case [incl traffic tkts] - and win it too !
6. Most newcomers purchase their homes in 1-2yrs... many within 6-8 months as well... I did! -think about our homeland, could we?
7. Quality newsprint @ your door - for FREE.
8. TTC Bus @ your door - if u r sick or physically challenged [no where else in the world!].
9. Hefty Tax Rebate for MHA cases [Mental Health].
10. Partial GST [good amount] returned on Tax Filing [which other Govt. would?].
11. About $4-6000 [gifted!] to u, to a newcomer, in one go, after filing the CTB [within 4 weeks].
12. First time home buyer's rebate [which other nation does, incl our homeland?].
13. Unemployment Insurance -- monthly allowance/s being actually disbursed to u!
14. Unhindered access to your MP, if a need so arises - & s/he would actually work for u!

When u need [any of] these, then u know what the value of these mean... how the system tilts towards u - for your cause !!!

Qorax

Thanks Dada, well highlighted. Think positive and act wise is the key.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bsrk68 said:

Thanks Dada, well highlighted. Think positive and act wise is the key.
Yes Dada...
When u need [any of] these, then u know what the value of these mean... how the system tilts towards u - for your cause !!!
Especially taken that - we r immigrants here, not yet citizens, & come from distant soils - miles apart from this land - having nothing in common to the folks of this region - neither culture/traditions, nor their 'color' - yet they offer everything to us as they would to themselves - isn't that amazing?

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
And as I said in another thread...

What's with the thought that -
"Immigrating isn't about Jobs -- it's about Change of Lifestyle - making a New Home - Securing the Future of our Kids & the future Generations?

Qorax

Ps.:
1. No one said that the start will be a bed of roses;
2. No one suggested that there'd be jobs on a platter;
3. No one denies the fact that u'd be treading the 'unknown';
4. Everyone knows that new land makes u a 'nobody' -- we need fresh 'orientation' & determination to succeed
5. Every first-time immigrant faces [immense] challenges - it's the future generations of his who pray & thank him !
6. It'd do us good to make new friends - and hold-on to them [and always look for an opportunity for 'hugs' - offer one if u don't get it !].
7. BTW: This place is full of ppl from Europe & the Middle East - and no one went back, why?
8. Besides, Canada Calling was our own 'call', wasn't it? And we must have [much] deliberated on it before taking that call, didn't we?

*And 'succeed' we will - if we have it in us -- all of us do !

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Furthermore...

If it was [only] about 'jobs' - then why immigrate?
We already had 'jobs' in our homeland/current nation of residence, didn't we? Career progression had other choices/options/strategies, hadn't it? And if the $$$ were calling - there were other methods of getting an overseas assignment - Work Permit & 'temporarily' move, with an insight to return to homeland/comfort zone, once the contract was over - we all did that... many do... I did.

But alas, we sat down, raked our brains - discussed with our family & friends - AND thought of moving 'permanently' to a hitherto 'unknown' nation... w/out a "pre-arranged employment"... surely that didn't come-out for 'jobs'... there were 'other' factors that played a decisive role... and to an extent our quest for 'adventure' !

So, when we come here - where does that brainwave vanish? We did know what we were treading into - then why couldn't we stick to the plan? Which did involve taking our teething-troubles to our stride & look @ the bigger picture - and make deliberate efforts to succeed. Why does the 'not a good job' thing break our heart - so soon - abruptly? We knew what we had to do - before 'landing' -- then what happened after?

Couldn't we hold-on a bit more? Couldn't we realize that it was coming? And we pre-knew what we were onto? What we were supposed to do? Couldn't we go all-out? We did so - while we were applying & waiting, didn't we? What changed? -- Nothing... other than our 'disorientation' - an imminent desperation to make $$$ ! Which, in the first case wasn't a consideration at all !

It'd do us good to realize that 'coming to Canada' wasn't about making $$$ - for that we'd have stuck to our [earlier] career path... coming to Canada was to "change everything" - our life, our neighborhood, our associates, our outlook, our destiny... we came here to "stay"... there is no hurry... we aren't going anywhere from here... this is going to be our [new] homeland... and we better get accustomed to it's environs... make amends... CHANGE !

Over a time everyone gets going... smoothly... things start falling into place... doors do open... it's just that we need to remain 'grounded' - believe in ourselves... and look for that door !

Besides, make friends...
There's immense power in friendship !
All the way !
And yes - then those $$$ WILL start pouring-in too !!!

'Jobs' was never a consideration - have a 'life' & that 'job' will come-by...

Qorax

Ps.: Once again - there r Europeans & M/Easterners here, who haven't gone back... and they aren't a handful - r actually 'plentiful' ! I'm sure they were doing well @ their homeland -- r doing well here as well !

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
The problem crops-up when, as bsrk68da suggested, we do not do our homework well...
Immigration [to any country] is not advisable for Sr. ppl [like me] - senior in age, experience, social status/position etc. Then it gets tremendously difficult to settledown in a new land - especially doing 'starter jobs' - which is an altruism - 'coz, nobody knows us here - our worth - and thus, won't be willing to offer us anything beyond entry level. Exceptions do occur though.

Again, as bsrk68da rightly pointed-out, Honolulu's thread title [as well as its contents] sure aureate negativity... a sense of despair... dejection. And that occurs when one is in that state of life as I described in the previous para. Thus, this movement was a bad decision for Honolulu [purely on the employment factor]... Honolulu to Toronto - while being already well-placed there, in Sr. management/decision making. That position might just not come to the originator for quite sometime - it'd take years here to reach that level, if one could get to, that is.

But, does it mean that Honolulu should go bonkers? His cause is a lost-case? - No, seriously !
There's much to expect here, for him too. His Canada calling was [surely] for the future of his family & kid/s... the child gets to join a prestigious university... would eventually get a good placement - pursue a defined career path... his/her successful future is assured... though the father & mother struggled initially here! And once again, immigration is known to be problematic for the 1st immigrant - it's the 2nd & next generations of his who'd reap the benefits.

As such, Honolulu should rather feel positive about his decision... make constructive efforts... reinforce his synergy & go full steam... it's also important that he smiles(!), makes friends, gets empowered... 'coz, that'd benefit his family too ! They r looking towards him, all the time !!!

Qorax

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Qorax. Always on top of things. :):):)

Nicely done.
Leo

bsrk68

Dec 15, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/01/1999
LANDED..........
09/12/1999
qorax said:
The problem crops-up when, as bsrk68da suggested, we do not do our homework well...
Immigration [to any country] is not advisable for Sr. ppl [like me] - senior in age, experience, social status/position etc. Then it gets tremendously difficult to settledown in a new land - especially doing 'starter jobs' - which is an altruism - 'coz, nobody knows us here - our worth - and thus, won't be willing to offer us anything beyond entry level. Exceptions do occur though.

Again, as bsrk68da rightly pointed-out, Honolulu's thread title [as well as its contents] sure aureate negativity... a sense of despair... dejection. And that occurs when one is in that state of life as I described in the previous para. Thus, this movement was a bad decision for Honolulu [purely on the employment factor]... Honolulu to Toronto - while being already well-placed there, in Sr. management/decision making. That position might just not come to the originator for quite sometime - it'd take years here to reach that level, if one could get to, that is.

But, does it mean that Honolulu should go bonkers? His cause is a lost-case? - No, seriously !
There's much to expect here, for him too. His Canada calling was [surely] for the future of his family & kid/s... the child gets to join a prestigious university... would eventually get a good placement - pursue a defined career path... his/her successful future is assured... though the father & mother struggled initially here! And once again, immigration is known to be problematic for the 1st immigrant - it's the 2nd & next generations of his who'd reap the benefits.

As such, Honolulu should rather feel positive about his decision... make constructive efforts... reinforce his synergy & go full steam... it's also important that he smiles(!), makes friends, gets empowered... 'coz, that'd benefit his family too ! They r looking towards him, all the time !!!

Qorax
ANOTHER LOVELY THREAD BY A NEWBIE:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/this-is-how-you-succeed-in-canada-t29170.0.html

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LANDED..........
December 29th
Honolulu said:
Dear All,

This is not an attempt to block your ambitions or to dissuade those who are young and adventurous.

Globalization is just bringing many opportunities to the Third World and social and psychological benefits of being with a larger extended family are immense.

Let this thread research and expose for the sake of wider undersatnding.
Thanks Bob and Qorax for your insights! Your points are very well taken and definitely to be appreciated.

To bring the thread back in perspective, let me re- quote a line from my first posting

This thread is not an attempt to block your ambitions or to dissuade those who are young and adventurous.

Yes, immigration is all about keeping the spirits high and battling on because of a better future prospect.
Just as important is to be able to fully understand what one is in for.
And to be better equipped for the struggle.

It's good to be surrounded by friends and I feel lucky that you are providing that in the forums and showing people the right way - actually the only way.

For the record, and lest readers think I am here only to highlight a personal cry baby story:

[Bob, I am responding to your call for the good stuff ;D]

1. I did work for a three month period at the University of Toronto as a researcher as soon as I landed.

2. I got a call center job immediately after that - and I hold on to it to pay my bills.

3. I volunteer for three local NGOs - in my field, which is urban forestry - and will most likely get my later long term position in one of these. My new found friends outside of this forum are all there.

4. I am in the last stages of finishing a PhD so yes I will likely be in a university teaching and research career in due course. My spare time if any is mostly engaged in doing that and those of you who have done so know the degree of involvement and intensity it that takes...

If my thread seems like gloomy and unenthusiastic,it should also be taken in perspective since those realities cannot simply be covered up.

Again on a personal note, I remain upbeat but certainly lack the innocence that I began with ;D

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LANDED..........
December 29th
qorax said:
As rightly pointed out one should not dive in without that.

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LANDED..........
December 29th
qorax said:
Furthermore...

If it was [only] about 'jobs' - then why immigrate?

'Jobs' was never a consideration - have a 'life' & that 'job' will come-by...

Qorax
I get the spirit of this post, but jobs I must respectfully state are a very important consideration.
If not, again I should recommend at least 1.5 times the amount that CIC recommends we bring in...

Integration and friendship are an embarrassment for many when their funds dry up..
Just a reality check ;D

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Always Think positive because Negativity leads to Destruction and Nothing else . Grandmaster QORAX has rightly pointed out that it is not only the JOBS for which we are willing to leave our motherland ! It is just for the good cause of our children and their bright future and numerous other issues , such as Health, Education, State benefits, corruption ,Living standard and so on...So My dear friends follow what QORAX has mentioned in his posts - Every first-time immigrant faces [immense] challenges - it's the future generations of his who pray & thank him !Especially taken that - we r immigrants here, not yet citizens, & come from distant soils - miles apart from this land - having nothing in common to the folks of this region - neither culture/traditions, nor their 'color' - yet they offer everything to us as they would to themselves - isn't that amazing?
So my dear friends please Think BIG for the future of your children and be Happy !!!

...Bobby