+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things To Know Before You Go To Canada...really?

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
Baloo said:
The site has two uses:

1 - Read it enough times and you will cure insomnia.

2 - Print every page if you have run out of toilet paper.
AAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAA LOL!!! loves it!

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
I just wanted to toss my two cents in...

I kind if rake issue with people painting Canadians as rude or unfriendly...

Canada has it's own cultural norms just like every other country in the world. Some are glaring and some are subtle. It's those really subtle ones that are the kicker. Sometimes newcomers aren't aware they've crossed some invisible boundary. Sometimes the social cues are as minor as a tone or a gesture. In a lot of cases it comes down to misunderstandings.

I've lived (not vacationed in) a few really different cultures and there always things I would normally consider rude - as well as numerous things I do (or don't do) that are perceived as "rude". What seems rude to one is business as usual to another.

Perhaps some people come from Wnglish speaking countries and assume they won't face those same pitfalls...or others think they have watched enough American movies and tv to understand how Canadians think.

Lynn

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
locolynn said:
In a lot of cases it comes down to misunderstandings.

I've lived (not vacationed in) a few really different cultures and there always things I would normally consider rude - as well as numerous things I do (or don't do) that are perceived as "rude". What seems rude to one is business as usual to another.
You hit the nail on the head for me, it took me a while to adjust to meeting people in Thailand and having them say to me. "oh you really get more fat" then laugh and think I should be thrilled with this comment. When in fact in Thailand it is a compliment, meaning that I am well off enough to eat well and not have to work too hard etc...

Or the touching of anyone on the head is a huge insult..

Or using your FOOT to point at anything like one would never think twice about doing in North America..

The list goes on of course but it is so true that you really must know the culture you are moving to and learn it by living there not reading about it or watching it on TV.

Plus it must be always kept in mind that just because you see something as rude or not, you have to remember you are imposing your PREVIOUS locations sensibility...

RedAlert

Star Member
Jun 8, 2011
Near Montreal QC.
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
23-08-2011
Oh come on guys.....admit that the pyjama pants part is true....ever been to a Walmart?? ;-)))

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
RedAlert said:
Oh come on guys.....admit that the pyjama pants part is true....ever been to a Walmart?? ;-)))
If that guy lives close to a university, it's definitely true! hahaha. Many university students, particularly those in 1st year living in residence on campus, their sole purpose is to ensure their comfort, and pj pants are the best way at achieving that. lol.

Who cares if people want to walk around in comfortable pj pants??!! And he was the one saying Canadians are the vain ones obsessed with how they look???????? HA! Horizons seriously need to be expanded!

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
26/01/2011 (Buffalo received)
Med's Done....
10/2010
I think anyone who is immigrating or is living in Canada needs to make sure they are not trying to paint Canadians with unrealistic standards. are Canadians generally nice and friendly yes :) but unrealistic standards make it harder for you to get to know people and then you become unhappy because others are not meeting up to these standards and your opinion of your home country becomes glorified 'they were so much nicer!' If you're having a hard time fitting in and making friends are you sure its the cause of everyone else?

I also agree with this poster:

locolynn said:
I just wanted to toss my two cents in...

I kind if rake issue with people painting Canadians as rude or unfriendly...

Canada has it's own cultural norms just like every other country in the world. Some are glaring and some are subtle. It's those really subtle ones that are the kicker. Sometimes newcomers aren't aware they've crossed some invisible boundary. Sometimes the social cues are as minor as a tone or a gesture. In a lot of cases it comes down to misunderstandings.
We may speak english but Canada has a different culture and what is acceptable in England or even the US may be perceived as rude here and vise versa. When you move to Canada dont expect people to be the same as they were in your home country and dont hold us to unrealistic standards. Canada is a large country and you can't paint us all with the same brush. :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
shamsia said:
Found this during my surfing escapades: http://www.hotwic.com/view_293__FAQ.html

Yet, I believe it cant be all bad and that Canada has a lot to offer! :)
The article is rubbish -- from my point of view, at least. I find (my fellow) Canadians quite friendly. If they don't answer the telephone at night, it is to avoid telephone salespeople, not to avoid the immigrant who may be calling to arrange a coffee together.

This is not an article; it is a rant -- a rant that says more about the author than about Canada.

Most of the author's views are quite negative; perhaps he has had a bad experience in Canada, and that is regrettable, but he is irresponsible to pretend that his jaundiced views are a balanced report on Canada.

The author reveals his bias my making outright errors of fact. For example: he says that Canadian banks won't offer you a debit card and credit card. Absolutely wrong! I arranged an appointment with a Canadian bank, and came out of the appointment with a debit card already activated. I had no credit history in Canada at that time (having left Canada ten years earlier). The credit card arrived in the mail 4 days later. I have used banks in 5 different countries, and I can assure you that the Canadian banks are at the top of the list.

I am Canadian (even though I left the country 10 years ago) and I can promise you that NO Canadians consider burping and farting in public to be acceptable manners. The author is being silly, wrong, and irresponsible.

I could pick this article apart on many points, but you get the idea: it's a gross distortion, and not worth further effort to refute it.

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
RedAlert said:
Not only is it true... But I am guilty of it myself! Lol!

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
I have seen the kids go to school in PJ's and also wings :)

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I am a huge PJ lover, and have a massive collection of them, but they stay in the house...occasionally they get to the end of the drive to put the trash out but that's as far as they travel. It is tempting to nip to the store in them sometimes though!!!

canuck0469

Nov 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01 Feb, 2010
AOR Received.
Mar 11,2010
File Transfer...
26 Feb, 2010
Med's Request
Nov 22, 2010
Med's Done....
Jan 6, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 17, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2, 2010
LANDED..........
Dec 27, 2010
I was born Canadian and lived here most of my life. I have had the priviledge of working in various other countries and find the views of our new fellow countrymen quite interesting. I do open the door for my wife and Mother, walk on the street side, pull out the chairs etc. In other environments though I find most of the ladies will race to the door to open it first, there is no expectation of being catered to. North Americans have fought for many years for equal rights, equal pay, equal job opportunities and my view is our beautiful ladies may be a bit more modern. Not saying that other countires are behind in this but from an outside perpesctive this may appear rude. My wife who is an immigrant has made a great deal of friends and has created quite a social network. I do get a chuckle out of some sweats and pj's into the local stores, but I have seen similiar in all the countries I have been to. I also see people dressed to the 9's to buy milk etc. It is not different cultures but more individual choices. Some feel comfortable in themselves and do not feel the need to dress up for someone elses benefit. Others take the time to don nice clothes because it makes them feel good, all about personal choices, after all, this is Canada and you feel free to do this without oppression. Those that struggle to make acquantances will adjust and find out what works. Many Canadians and immigrants alike do not have the social networking that is very common in other countries, my wife can spend many hours on the cell or FB, I would prefer to leave my BB at home. This is the beauty of Canada, personal choices

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
canuck0469 said:
I was born Canadian and lived here most of my life. I have had the priviledge of working in various other countries and find the views of our new fellow countrymen quite interesting. I do open the door for my wife and Mother, walk on the street side, pull out the chairs etc. In other environments though I find most of the ladies will race to the door to open it first, there is no expectation of being catered to. North Americans have fought for many years for equal rights, equal pay, equal job opportunities and my view is our beautiful ladies may be a bit more modern. Not saying that other countires are behind in this but from an outside perpesctive this may appear rude. My wife who is an immigrant has made a great deal of friends and has created quite a social network. I do get a chuckle out of some sweats and pj's into the local stores, but I have seen similiar in all the countries I have been to. I also see people dressed to the 9's to buy milk etc. It is not different cultures but more individual choices. Some feel comfortable in themselves and do not feel the need to dress up for someone elses benefit. Others take the time to don nice clothes because it makes them feel good, all about personal choices, after all, this is Canada and you feel free to do this without oppression. Those that struggle to make acquantances will adjust and find out what works. Many Canadians and immigrants alike do not have the social networking that is very common in other countries, my wife can spend many hours on the cell or FB, I would prefer to leave my BB at home. This is the beauty of Canada, personal choices
Well said ;D

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
Bangkokcanuck said:
Or using your FOOT to point at anything like one would never think twice about doing in North America..
?? seriously ?? LOL ... I have never seen this...

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
dair2dv8103100 said:
?? seriously ?? LOL ... I have never seen this...
Me neither hahahah. That's so random!
Maybe the person was holding a lot of stuff in their hands and had no choice but to use their foot to direct someone... In Dominican Republic they point with their lips, even if their hands are free... haha.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
tink23 said:
In Dominican Republic they point with their lips, even if their hands are free... haha.
Wow...thats something I have to see...LOL... hmm I love random excuses to travel to new places :p ;D