+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary work permit and dependent children

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, he can apply on his own. He does not have to apply at the same time as you.

milleth082002

Oct 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6 2013
Med's Request
Feb 14 2014
Med's Done....
March 7 2014
@Leon Thank you for replying to my inquiry. One more thing, I'm afraid that my husband's work permit will expire on August 14, 2012. Can I still apply for my son's open work permit on February 2012? As one of the requirement is the Father's work permit should be valid at least six months prior to application of dependent open work permit. Can he apply on February 2012 even my husband work permit would be six months on that time?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he applies at least 6 mo. before your husbands work permit expires, he might be ok with it.

milleth082002

Oct 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6 2013
Med's Request
Feb 14 2014
Med's Done....
March 7 2014
Thank you Leon, meaning my son need to apply on january 2012 because on Feb 2012 my husband work permit will on the six month already.

milleth082002

Oct 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6 2013
Med's Request
Feb 14 2014
Med's Done....
March 7 2014
@ Leon thank you I will collate now all his documents and requirements.

batchi

Jan 31, 2012
Hello...can someone help me please...my husband has and lmo and contract but is under NOC level C. is there any option i might accompany him in going in canada...help me please what shall i do? thank you very much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
batchi said:
Hello...can someone help me please...my husband has and lmo and contract but is under NOC level C. is there any option i might accompany him in going in canada...help me please what shall i do? thank you very much
On NOC C you can not get an open spousal work permit. You could ask for a TRV and go as a visitor and see if you can get a contract and LMO too. If you do, you can apply for a work permit too, if not, you will have to go home before your 6 months are up.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TRV is just a regular visitor visa to Canada. Just go to the embassy and tell them you want to apply. That is of course only if you need a visa to visit. If you are visa exempt, you can just go but you still can't work without a work permit though.

denissed

Jan 20, 2012
Leon said:
On NOC C you can not get an open spousal work permit. You could ask for a TRV and go as a visitor and see if you can get a contract and LMO too. If you do, you can apply for a work permit too, if not, you will have to go home before your 6 months are up.
I called the Canadian Embassy here in Manila and asked about SOWP. They said even if its under NOC C, one can still apply for SOWP. I also mentioned what I read at the website that only those with NOC O, A and B are qualified for SOWP. I called 4x to clarify this and talked to different reps but they all gave me the same info.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

denissed said:
I called the Canadian Embassy here in Manila and asked about SOWP. They said even if its under NOC C, one can still apply for SOWP. I also mentioned what I read at the website that only those with NOC O, A and B are qualified for SOWP. I called 4x to clarify this and talked to different reps but they all gave me the same info.
They gave you the wrong answer. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/arriving.asp#spouse

Your spouse working in Canada

Spouses or common-law partners who want to work while in Canada must apply for their own work permit. Normally, they must meet the same requirements as you, including obtaining (if required) a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.

However, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for an “open” work permit that will allow her or him to accept any job with any employer if:

You are authorized to work in Canada for six months or longer and the work you are doing while you live in Canada meets a minimum skill level (usually work that would require at least a college diploma). Specifically, your job must be listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification.

lexie_nicole

Aug 13, 2011
in this matter maybe she can apply for SOWP if she's under British Columbia in Canada because they accepted also to apply SOWP even if they are low skilled category...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lexie_nicole said:
in this matter maybe she can apply for SOWP if she's under British Columbia in Canada because they accepted also to apply SOWP even if they are low skilled category...
Only if the spouse has been nominated in the BC Provincial Nominee Program.

denissed

Jan 20, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

They gave you the wrong answer. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/arriving.asp#spouse

Your spouse working in Canada

Spouses or common-law partners who want to work while in Canada must apply for their own work permit. Normally, they must meet the same requirements as you, including obtaining (if required) a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.

However, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for an “open” work permit that will allow her or him to accept any job with any employer if:

You are authorized to work in Canada for six months or longer and the work you are doing while you live in Canada meets a minimum skill level (usually work that would require at least a college diploma). Specifically, your job must be listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification.
I know this already thats why I called 4x because I already read this before. I explained what I read @ the website and they still gave me the same info....