+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary work permit and dependent children

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
And how about these tuition fees in elementary schools. I have never known anybody who had to pay those. Do you know how high they are?
Schools are provincially regulated so I really don't know how much, or if any fees would be applicable. The OP would need to contact the school district where the child would be attending to find out what (if any) the costs would be for that particular school.

I'm still bothered by something else here that I need to check out.

aspire

Champion Member
Jul 13, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2009
File Transfer...
29-03-2009
Med's Request
21-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2011(pspt submitted 09-04-2011)
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2011 (passport received 17-05-2011)
LANDED..........
26-06-2011
Leon said:
And how about these tuition fees in elementary schools. I have never known anybody who had to pay those. Do you know how high they are?
Leon,
Yesterday I submitted my work permit application(have job offer and postive LMO). together with my application i submitted as well visit visa (multiple) for my husband and my minor son, 15 years old. This morning they returned the whole application package saying I must use a study permit application form instead of visit visa form for my son and must pay only 125 for him instead of 150. How did they know that there is this intention to enroll my son in any school in Canada? We initially planned that my son will just enter Canada on visit visa and once inside Canada, we will apply for a change of status to "open study permit". It is written in their website that minor dependents of those working visa holders can apply for an open working visa inside Canada. Please shed some light on this. thank you.

aspire

Champion Member
Jul 13, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2009
File Transfer...
29-03-2009
Med's Request
21-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
26-06-2011
rjessome said:
This position is skill level C and chances of her being approved with the children are very, very slim. Only children of workers in skill levels 0, A or B are able to study in primary and secondary school (pre-college and university) without paying international school fees and without study permits. She would have to pay for her children to attend school in Canada and they would also need study permits.
Rjessom,

My NOC class is A. I will be coming to canada on working permit bringing with me my hubby and my 15 year old son. If my son enrolls Grade 11 in a public school in canada, will i be paying tuition fee for my son? Is free primary and secondary education in canada can be enjoyed as well by dependents of valid working permit holder? If not, will i be paying the same amount as what international students are paying when studying Canada without PR or citizenship? Hope to read your reply. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like I said, I never heard of anybody who had to pay tuition for their kids in the K-12 grades. Once they enter college it is a different story.

If you want to know for sure, contact the school district where you will be staying.

silver_lining

Mar 2, 2011
Hi Leon

Thanks for the info.

I know I have to prove that I will be returning back. I have gone through a messy divorce and just want a change of scene for me and kids.
How would I convince the consulate that I intend to return?
Also when I apply for my kids visa do I need to show any custody papers?
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should ask the embassy if you need to show custody papers but I think it is likely that you will either need to show full custody or the fathers signature to move to a different country with the kids.

Reasons for moving back could be ageing parents you have to take care of in their old age and having something to go back to, assets for example, job opportunities etc.

silver_lining

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks Leon!
I have the custody papers.
What websites can I check for local schools and nurseries?
Thanks again.
God bless!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Like I said, I never heard of anybody who had to pay tuition for their kids in the K-12 grades. Once they enter college it is a different story.

If you want to know for sure, contact the school district where you will be staying.
A skilled worker would not have to pay school fees for the children for k-12. That's what's bugging me about this whole thing. I'm missing something to do with the skill level of the WP. I'll do some more research when I have time. Or someone else pipes in because they know what the missing link is here.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
If the parents are on work/study permits, then there is no international fee for the kids. If the parents are visitors, the fee in Vancouver $12K per year.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
silver_lining said:
Thanks Leon!
I have the custody papers.
What websites can I check for local schools and nurseries?
Thanks again.
God bless!
Google the name of your town + Alberta + school district and then you should find some links

aspire

Champion Member
Jul 13, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2009
File Transfer...
29-03-2009
Med's Request
21-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
26-06-2011
Guys,

I called St. James Assiniboia School Division in Winnipeg Canada, this is the division office governing public high schools in Winnipeg Canada. Accompanying minor dependents of temporary working permit holders are not paying tuition fees in Canada up to grade 12. Cheers!

Reactions: Amanjot7

silver_lining

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks guys!
The biggest challenge I face now is convincing the consulate that I will return with my kids.

Anyone know the cost of creche for babies in Alberta.

Thanks all!

rosellyalung

May 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LC1 application vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/08/2010
@silve-lining- are you kids with you already pls update me thank you!

Strikenannies

Oct 4, 2011
http://www.change.org/petitions/live-in-caregiver-program-in-canada-faster-1st-stage-of-approval-after-apply-for-pr-under-the-lcp-in-canada

milleth082002

Oct 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6 2013
Med's Request
Feb 14 2014
Med's Done....
March 7 2014
Hi everyone

Can my 19 years old son could apply for Open work permit in Alberta as dependent by my husband, Skilled NOC B separately from my application as Spousal open work permit? You know me and my daughter 16 years old would apply this month for our SOWP and her study permit. I read an article under Pilot Program of Alberta that 19 to 22 years old dependent children can apply for open work permit. But then, all the documents for me and my daughter is ready for submission this week and my son's requirements not yet finish. My question is, can he apply separately for his own work permit and travel alone if ever that me and my daughter will go ahead? Please enlighten me. Thanks a lot.