VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zizu said:
Ok.... Better safe than sorry so will get it 30 days prior to leaving....

BTW... Another's question.... In terms of luggage and stuff that can be taken... You know the kind of desi stuff, pots and pans and things like that, that usually people immigrating to canada take with them... will i also be allowed to take it with me on TRV or i need to have proper immigration visa to take that kind of stuff..???

Similarly I read it somewhere on these forums about 'goods to follow' kind of form/ option... Things that u can ship it later... Will I have this option available on this OWP/TRV visa???

zizu
I am not sure about the details of goods to follow. But generally you can take any thing along. There is no difference to temp vs permanent visa category.

However, there would be many things not considered safe from security perspective whose details you can find on canada airlines / visa websites, probably also on this forum as i remember seeing it here too. Also you are supposed to be carrying a paper made list of all items you are taking along to hand over to immigration officer. This includes the cash you are carrying too.

In terms of baggage, i think PIA allows 24 kg per passenger or so. Coupling with other airlines it is around 27-28kg. Plus add 7 kg for hand carry. Some standard items such as laptop does not count towards this weight or unit count so it can travel along. Any thing beyond this, you would be charged a significant cost.

Beware, when estimating they only tell you the cost of weight and latter add duties which makes up significant amounts. So you should also evaluate which item is worth taking along vs can be bought in Canada.

One last thing, generally the winter stuff available here wont work in Canada. I have seen many people wasting a lot of money shopping winter stuff here which was kind of useless there.

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, do you think we should also make a spreadsheet to keep track of the application timelines?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Auone said:
Guys, do you think we should also make a spreadsheet to keep track of the application timelines?
Honestly, from what i have seen since like last dec, the number is too small to be able to generalize. Also the ones that are processed quickly don't even get to the forums :)
It is the frustration with delays and desire to have better visibility that gets some one to search.

Also even if there are threads, they become dead after a while. I saw a few threads from 2011/12 and even posted on them first, but no response then.

In contrast there are tons of student visa applicants, very active, make spread sheets for every session and maintain info.

Here is their spread sheet
http://goo.gl/55cjf

and the main thread
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicants-september-intake-2013-pakistan-islamabad-cic-t146798.2115.html

They have discussed flights, things to carry and what not apart from the usual student stuff. In general most of them got visas with in two months this year, despite all the hype and other stuff.

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
28-03-2013, 01-04-2014, 01-06-2015,05-08-2015
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
fkl said:
Honestly, from what i have seen since like last dec, the number is too small to be able to generalize. Also the ones that are processed quickly don't even get to the forums :)
It is the frustration with delays and desire to have better visibility that gets some one to search.

Also even if there are threads, they become dead after a while. I saw a few threads from 2011/12 and even posted on them first, but no response then.

In contrast there are tons of student visa applicants, very active, make spread sheets for every session and maintain info.

Here is their spread sheet
http://goo.gl/55cjf

and the main thread
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicants-september-intake-2013-pakistan-islamabad-cic-t146798.2115.html

They have discussed flights, things to carry and what not apart from the usual student stuff. In general most of them got visas with in two months this year, despite all the hype and other stuff.
I'd agree with fkl... The turn around time isn't as long as the FSW or PNP... Although I would share my experience here for others to refer to...

I submitted my application online -went trough the pain of scanning every document that was required ... But it's worth as CIC also suggests to apply online so if there are work stoppages, like PAFSO strike, they can move your case from one officer to any other available officer anywhere else in the world... With manual application they can not do that.

I think I benefitted from this, that although I got the medical request in 5 weeks (some had gotten in 4 weeks time when there was no strike)... Did my medicals within 2-3 days via e-enabled IOM ... THey submit your medical results within 48 hrs...

And within 2 weeks. Got the request to send the passport... So all in all it took less than 2 months to go from submitting the app to getting the passport request...

zizu

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zizu said:
I'd agree with fkl... The turn around time isn't as long as the FSW or PNP... Although I would share my experience here for others to refer to...

I submitted my application online -went trough the pain of scanning every document that was required ... But it's worth as CIC also suggests to apply online so if there are work stoppages, like PAFSO strike, they can move your case from one officer to any other available officer anywhere else in the world... With manual application they can not do that.

I think I benefitted from this, that although I got the medical request in 5 weeks (some had gotten in 4 weeks time when there was no strike)... Did my medicals within 2-3 days via e-enabled IOM ... THey submit your medical results within 48 hrs...

And within 2 weeks. Got the request to send the passport... So all in all it took less than 2 months to go from submitting the app to getting the passport request...

zizu
That is like the fastest processing time for PNP that i have ever heard of. Congrats.

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK I guess you guys have got a very good point as far as spreadsheet is concerned......

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
fkl said:
That is like the fastest processing time for PNP that i have ever heard of. Congrats.
My bad if created that impression... My PNP is still in process... The timeline that I shared was of my applying for TRV/OWP after I got tired of waiting for LVO to proceed... :)

zizu

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zizu said:
My bad if created that impression... My PNP is still in process... The timeline that I shared was of my applying for TRV/OWP after I got tired of waiting for LVO to proceed... :)

zizu
Yeah, i remember you mentioned it was somewhat complicated but i wasn't sure of the details and the reference to PNP made me think otherwise. Thanks for clearing that up. Still for twp, it is good timeline though others have had similar ones too. :)

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
Yeah, i remember you mentioned it was somewhat complicated but i wasn't sure of the details and the reference to PNP made me think otherwise. Thanks for clearing that up. Still for twp, it is good timeline though others have had similar ones too. :)
I think CHC ISB is moving a bit faster now......the other day, I was reading on this forum that a guy applied on 29th of July and got his decision I think on 17th of this month.......My application was delivered to CHC on 22nd of July and I got MR on 11th of September.

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
Auone said:
I think CHC ISB is moving a bit faster now......the other day, I was reading on this forum that a guy applied on 29th of July and got his decision I think on 17th of this month.......My application was delivered to CHC on 22nd of July and I got MR on 11th of September.
Yep... U are right...I also applied on 26th July and got decision made on 16th,,, one of the reason for them to be moving faster is that chc ISB is not part of the PAFSO strike...

zizu

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zizu said:
Yep... U are right...I also applied on 26th July and got decision made on 16th,,, one of the reason for them to be moving faster is that chc ISB is not part of the PAFSO strike...

zizu
Yeah the embassy is moving faster now. But there are several reasons to it.

1. September is peak session for student intake for which people apply from march through july. Most of the lot is done by early august. Since student visas have precedence over any other type, you are likely to be delayed for evaluation.

2. Twp rules were revised in April and new policies were enforced. I have followed media during that time and felt that in general across the globe work permit applications were delayed by a good margin during those times and gradually started recovering. I believe stricter rules, newer policies and more scrutiny must be the reasons.

3. There was much hype in news around May for the royal bank of Canada issue. My employer pursued my case with CIC via Member of Parliament office and the response they received around june was. "Your application is in process and under review, the MP representation has been noted and will be considered when this case is evaluated. With the news in media about twp misuse and the general situation of jobs in canada, the process is subject to more scrutiny and hence would take more time".

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zizu said:

zizu
Hey Zizu,

When did you guys go for medicals? Any specific tips related to spouse and kids? Since i have mostly heard from people doing medicals alone or at max for spouse.

Thanks

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
fkl said:
Hey Zizu,

When did you guys go for medicals? Any specific tips related to spouse and kids? Since i have mostly heard from people doing medicals alone or at max for spouse.

Thanks
its pretty straight forward (i went in first week of september)... the only thing you need to worry about is 'waiting time' / time you'll be spending there (i am talking about ISB iOM) - 3-5 hrs.

make surer you (or your family members) take your prescription glasses with you - as it may be required during your eye test.
kids under 12 may not be x-rayed
similarly they may not be blood tested...

zizu

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zizu said:
its pretty straight forward (i went in first week of september)... the only thing you need to worry about is 'waiting time' / time you'll be spending there (i am talking about ISB iOM) - 3-5 hrs.

make surer you (or your family members) take your prescription glasses with you - as it may be required during your eye test.
kids under 12 may not be x-rayed
similarly they may not be blood tested...

zizu
how abt urine test for kids under 5?