+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TEF - French Exam...

DianaB

Jan 24, 2015
Hi guys

My score is 413 right now and I really want to improve my chances...
I am bilingual and I am thinking of taking the French TEF test to boost my score.
Since the test is $400, I was wondering how many extra points did any of you get for including the TEF in your application?

Thanks a lot, and good luck to you!
D.

JB007

Oct 27, 2014
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May
Doc's Request.
24 May
AOR Received.
15 May
Med's Done....
23 Apr
Hi DianaB,

I'm bilingual and have native fluency in English and French with a dual Masters (Modern Languages, English and French literature). I gave the TEF and managed 8 additional points even with a C1 on two of the components. All I can say is, TEF is designed such that one just CAN'T get a score good enough to get all 24 points. It is incredibly challenging and there's negative marking. Also, there isn't much helpful materiel available. It's crazy expensive. I gave it since there was no other way to prove my proficiency and all of my work experience has been bilingual and I waned to substantiate my capabilities. If you do end up deciding to take it, I could share some materiel that I came in handy during my prep. Good luck! x

Reactions: varunvarghese

tiffany123

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 3rd 2015
Doc's Request.
Dec 1st 2015
Nomination.....
Oct 19th 2015 (OPNP)
AOR Received.
Nov 3rd 2015
Passport Req..
March 18th 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 1s t2016
LANDED..........
Inland applicant
JB007 said:
Hi DianaB,

I'm bilingual and have native fluency in English and French with a dual Masters (Modern Languages, English and French literature). I gave the TEF and managed 8 additional points even with a C1 on two of the components. All I can say is, TEF is designed such that one just CAN'T get a score good enough to get all 24 points. It is incredibly challenging and there's negative marking. Also, there isn't much helpful materiel available. It's crazy expensive. I gave it since there was no other way to prove my proficiency and all of my work experience has been bilingual and I waned to substantiate my capabilities. If you do end up deciding to take it, I could share some materiel that I came in handy during my prep. Good luck! x
Hi JB007,

I am currently thinking of taking the TEF test as well. I am starting to study French now so I think my chance of getting 24 pts is really slim. Would you mind sending me the material so I can take a look? Much would be appreciated !! Thanks!

JB007

Oct 27, 2014
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May
Doc's Request.
24 May
AOR Received.
15 May
Med's Done....
23 Apr
tiffany123 said:
Hi JB007,

I am currently thinking of taking the TEF test as well. I am starting to study French now so I think my chance of getting 24 pts is really slim. Would you mind sending me the material so I can take a look? Much would be appreciated !! Thanks!
Sure thing! Where should I share?

Can_US

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Hi JB007,

I will join French language classes in July to increase my CRS scores (second language). my first attempt for French.

Alliance Francaise told I must clear A1, A2 and B1 levels to take TEF for good scores ==>> means delay of atleast 9 mths before I get good marks to improve CRS.

is this correct? or you think a beginner can get good TEF marks at A2 level?

How can beginner like me get good marks in TEF ?

Will be grateful if you give tips and material to all_replies@yahoo.com Thanks

Deccan

Feb 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello DianaB,

I'd like to share my experience with the eTEF in case it's helpful. I took the exam once in 2014 and again in 2015 because results from last year had expired. My graduate work is in French and I have extensive experience with standardized testing. Even though I managed to get C1s and C2s both times (22 in the CRS scale since applying with spouse), I would agree with JB007's comment that it's a tricky test. A correct answer on the multiple-choice section gets you 3 points, but they knock off 1 point for an incorrect answer. There is no penalty for selecting "I don't know", on the other hand.

There isn't much of any preparation material available. If you are planning on taking classes at the AF, you are indeed looking at some time investment before you can be fully ready to take the exam. The eTEF definitely needs a certain level of proficiency.

If you can find prep material for the TFI (test du francais international), you might be able to get some additional practice. While it's not identical to the TEF test, you can get your feet wet.

Good luck!

tiffany123

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 3rd 2015
Doc's Request.
Dec 1st 2015
Nomination.....
Oct 19th 2015 (OPNP)
AOR Received.
Nov 3rd 2015
Passport Req..
March 18th 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 1s t2016
LANDED..........
Inland applicant
JB007 said:
Sure thing! Where should I share?
Hi, thanks for your response. My email is : tiffanyhoang245@gmail.com :)

Alina.Taranenko

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
JB007 said:
Hi DianaB,

Hello!
What kind of TEF ( TEF Canada, TEFaQ or TEF) did you take? And is it the same for EE and for Quebec PNP?
Please could you share some materials my mail: alina.taranenko@mail.ru

DianaB

Jan 24, 2015
JB007 said:
Hi DianaB,

Hello All

Thanks for your advices and response.. I am thinking of taking the exam, at least when I wont get ITA i know i tried everything (sorry for being so negative, kinda lost hope).

Would you be able to send me the materials please JB007? My email address is beedassydiana@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!!
D.

JB007

Oct 27, 2014
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May
Doc's Request.
24 May
AOR Received.
15 May
Med's Done....
23 Apr
Alina.Taranenko said:
Hello!
What kind of TEF ( TEF Canada, TEFaQ or TEF) did you take? And is it the same for EE and for Quebec PNP?
Please could you share some materials my mail: alina.taranenko @ mail.ru
Hi

I took the TEF which if for immigration to Federal Canada or citizenship. It is different from TEFaQ which is specifically for Quebec :). Please refer to my next comment for materiel.

Good luck!

JB007

Oct 27, 2014
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May
Doc's Request.
24 May
AOR Received.
15 May
Med's Done....
23 Apr
Can_US said:
Hi JB007,

I will join French language classes in July to increase my CRS scores (second language). my first attempt for French.

Alliance Francaise told I must clear A1, A2 and B1 levels to take TEF for good scores ==>> means delay of atleast 9 mths before I get good marks to improve CRS.

is this correct? or you think a beginner can get good TEF marks at A2 level?

How can beginner like me get good marks in TEF ?

Will be grateful if you give tips and material to all_replies @ yahoo.com Thanks
Hi,

In my opinion, please. Please don't be very hopeful but one never knows, you might turn out to be exceptionally good. However, practically, it is not possible to score an A2 necessarily in TEF after sitting the A2 exam at AF as they are both incredibly different.

good luck!

JB007

Oct 27, 2014
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May
Doc's Request.
24 May
AOR Received.
15 May
Med's Done....
23 Apr
Hello each and everyone who requested for TEF materiel,

I have the soft copy of one of the two TEF practice books with answers and audios. It's an extremely heavy file so I couldn't e-mail it to you guys but i have written you all an e-mail and shared the link of my public folder on one drive where I've put all the helpful materiel. Please check your mail and spam folder. I've used TEF Practice Materiel in the subject line :). Sent the e-mail to ALL those who shared their id's . I truly hope it's helpful!

Good luck!
JB

Rkhurana

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
JB007 said:
Hello each and everyone who requested for TEF materiel,

I have the soft copy of one of the two TEF practice books with answers and audios. It's an extremely heavy file so I couldn't e-mail it to you guys but i have written you all an e-mail and shared the link of my public folder on one drive where I've put all the helpful materiel. Please check your mail and spam folder. I've used TEF Practice Materiel in the subject line :). Sent the e-mail to ALL those who shared their id's . I truly hope it's helpful!

Good luck!
JB
can you please send me that email as well...where you have mentioned how to access that shared folder.

Heathcliff77

May 2, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa VO
Doc's Request.
13-01-2017
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Passport Req..
28-06-2017