+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Syrian guy here. Just a few general questions about my situation now.

BlueShell

Mar 1, 2016
Hey everyone,

So, I wanted to consolidate all my questions in to one thread to avoid making a new thread for every single thing I tackle along the way. I hope that this thread will suffice.

I have a few questions regarding my situation now, and how my situation will turn out to be if everything goes through.

1- So, I've just started filling out my papers (IMM0008 etc.) and in the generic application form for Canada, under education, it asks for the number of years of education in total. Where I completed my school years, that amounts to 12 years so I know that for a fact but for my university years, I've studied at a university for 2 years (2006-2008), dropped out, had 1 gap year (2008-2009), then enrolled in another university from 2009-2016 (had gap semesters due to financial issues but was always a registered student). How many years in total should I note down as number of years of education?. My program is a 4-year program.

2- In the generic application form for Canada, should I list Current occupation as unemployed since I've just graduated a month ago? Also, should I list my intended application based on my program's degree?

3- How long will it take until I receive my PR card should everything work out?

4- Am I able to start working as soon as I receive my PR?

Would really appreciate any responses. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. 12 years.
2. Yes - unemployed and then your intended occupation in Canada.
3. You are applying for PR - not the PR card. The PR card is something you receive several months after you arrive in Canada and become a PR. I don't know what processing times you can expect for PR. Hopefully someone else will be able to comment. Can you confirm that yo are outside of Syria and applying as a refugee? Or are you applying under an economic immigration program?
4. Yes - you qualify to obtain a SIN immediately and the SIN allows you to work.

BlueShell

Mar 1, 2016
scylla said:
1. 12 years.
2. Yes - unemployed and then your intended occupation in Canada.
3. You are applying for PR - not the PR card. The PR card is something you receive several months after you arrive in Canada and become a PR. I don't know what processing times you can expect for PR. Hopefully someone else will be able to comment. Can you confirm that yo are outside of Syria and applying as a refugee? Or are you applying under an economic immigration program?
4. Yes - you qualify to obtain a SIN immediately and the SIN allows you to work.

1. 12 years is for school (6 for primary and 6 for secondary and highschool). So I guess its 12+X ?

3. Well.. I've tried looking at the points system and I don't fulfill the minimum number of points required as I lack any experience. I am just a fresh graduate as of now. I have many relatives in Ontario, one of which is my mother, and I plan on starting my career there because as a syrian, it is extremely difficult to get hired where I am now. The rejection rate is high and my student visa is running out. If my visa runs out, I have to return to Syria.