+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from PGWP to TRV. Please help.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My post graduate work permit expired last week and I applied for a temporary resident visa through Express Entry 2 weeks ago while it was still valid. What is the processing time in my case?

On the CIC website there is 2 categories with 2 different processing times
"Visitor extension" takes 74 days to process
"New temporary resident visa" (For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY)" takes 17 days

Which one is the right one for me?

I've been trying to contact the CIC hotline since last Friday but it keeps telling me that they are unable to connect me to an operator due to high volume of callers. And I need to inform my landlord about whether I am going to move out July 1 and also to book a flight home. Has anyone switched to TRV from PGWP? Please help me.

chechi_298

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2015
Passport Req..
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
12-11-15
I was in your position last Oct, and I believe the second category - New TRV, applied to those in our situation. In my application, I explained that I was awaiting the results of LMIA, and assured CIC that I was aware that as a visitor I would not be able to continue working. I received my extension without any problems.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chechi_298 said:
I was in your position last Oct, and I believe the second category - New TRV, applied to those in our situation. In my application, I explained that I was awaiting the results of LMIA, and assured CIC that I was aware that as a visitor I would not be able to continue working. I received my extension without any problems.
Thank you. How much time did it take you to get TRV?

chechi_298

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2015
Passport Req..
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
12-11-15
I submitted an online application and believe I got a response via email 3 wks later. The hard copy came in the mail a few days after that. Paper applications take much longer.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chechi_298 said:
I submitted an online application and believe I got a response via email 3 wks later. The hard copy came in the mail a few days after that. Paper applications take much longer.
ok, I see. I applied through EE and submitted everything electronically. I wonder if they are going to ask me to send them my passport later.

pk_2015

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2015
AOR Received.
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
21-04-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
A.B.123 said:
My post graduate work permit expired last week and I applied for a temporary resident visa through Express Entry 2 weeks ago while it was still valid. What is the processing time in my case?

On the CIC website there is 2 categories with 2 different processing times
"Visitor extension" takes 74 days to process
"New temporary resident visa" (For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY)" takes 17 days

Which one is the right one for me?

I've been trying to contact the CIC hotline since last Friday but it keeps telling me that they are unable to connect me to an operator due to high volume of callers. And I need to inform my landlord about whether I am going to move out July 1 and also to book a flight home. Has anyone switched to TRV from PGWP? Please help me.
i

You should consider visitor extension timeline i.e. 74 days.
The second one is for people whose extension is already approved and they want visa stamp on passport.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pk_2015 said:
i

You should consider visitor extension timeline i.e. 74 days.
The second one is for people whose extension is already approved and they want visa stamp on passport.
arrghhh, what I hate about this forum is everyone has got a diffirent answer. and I can't freaking contact CiC to clarify :mad: Where did you get this from? The user above says it took him 3 weeks (that's 15-17 days) to get a TRV in exactly the same situation. So, are you just guessing, speculating or you actually have a source?

pk_2015

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2015
AOR Received.
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
21-04-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
I have done both myself. It used to be much faster earlier. But the processing time is increasing constantly since January. Just two weeks back the processing time was 60 days i think.

you need to take each advice with a gain of salt. I am not a lawyer.

shakashaka

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
pk_2015 said:
I have done both myself. It used to be much faster earlier. But the processing time is increasing constantly since January. Just two weeks back the processing time was 60 days i think.

you need to take each advice with a gain of salt. I am not a lawyer.
How many months before our PGWP expire should we be applying for visitors permit? Now that the processing timelines keep changing.
I have a temporary resident permit that is valid till March 2016, also my PGWP is valid till March 2016. Is 3-6 months a good timeline?

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Talked to an agent and it is getting more and more confusing. To reach an agent is a quest. :mad:

She said, that I am on implied status which means I can leave Canada anytime even though I'v applied for some type of visa (and she said there is 2 different types and she doesn't know which one I applied for). She sent me this piece of info:

Implied status - Temporary resident

If you send your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada at the latest on the expiry date of your status, you will be considered in status as a temporary resident (TR) until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an implied status.

If you hold a work permit or a study permit, you can continue working or studying under the conditions of your previous permit only if you have applied to extend your stay in Canada under the same category. However, if you have applied to extend your stay under another category, you must stop working or studying, if applicable, before the expiry date of your permit.

If you leave Canada while under implied status, you may be authorized to re-enter Canada:

As a TR, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved*. This applies to you, among other things, if:
are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt,
held a valid multiple-entry visa upon your return to Canada, or
you have travelled only to the United States** and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon and return to Canada before your status as a visitor, student or worker expires; and
the officer at the port of entry is satisfied that you have sufficient means of support,
As a worker or student, if the officer determines that your application to extend your work/study permit was approved while you were outside Canada, or
If you are eligible to apply for a new work or study permit at your arrival in Canada.
For more information on implied status, please consult our website.

* You will not be permitted to work/study until you receive your new permit.
** Including its Territories and Possessions.
Arrggghh, the wait time was 5 minutes and I didn't get a staightforward answer. So, if I leave before I get a VISA how will they contact me to stamp my passport when they've made a decision????

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok, talked to another agent who was RUDE (!). dealing with CIC is not a pleasant experience. ok, so I applied to extend my stay and it is not an actual Visa which means that in approximately 74 days since I made an application I will get a decision from CIC. If they let me stay in Canada, they will specify for how long but 6 months is maximum. However, if I want to leave Canada I can leave Canada anytime but won't be able to come back unless I get a new visa. That's it.

he couldn't really answer the question about how this might affect my EE application for PR or if I have to change anything in my profile.Even Though in the menu I've chosen to talk about EE specifically. Essentially, what he was saying is that I could find all the answers online instead of calling him and asking questions. ohh, dealing with him was a terrible way to start a day. :mad:

why can't they just give straightforward information instead of those vague texts on their website? so that no one has to deal with their rude agents