+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
But if they are not insured and require medical treatment, the Canadian taxpayer has to cover any medical expenses.

What is the better way (for Canada) to proceed?

FWIW Canada has made its choice, the government is highly unlikely to change the decision.
The Insurance companies will refund for any unused insurance coverage when Parents or Grandparents return to their country of origin and provide proof to the insurance company, subject to the terms and conditions of thier policy. It is incorect that you pay for one year coverage and one use it for 2 month and lose the rest of your money. There are policies that are restrictive will not refund any amount once any claim is filled regardless if it is honored by the insurance company of not, you have to carefully read the insurance policy you are buying.

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Gary, Better than refund was the option to save the unused 10 months for next year. Next year I have to top-up for 2 months and a renewal charge thought. I wish there was such an insurance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AAL1984 said:
At the end of the day Canada and its tax payers don't owe anyone anything.

Canada has every right to be choosy and picky and look out for its self interests when deciding who to let in the country.

It's not discrimination, Canada has to look after its own citizens first.

If it's not discrimination, why only parents & grandparents? How about other age groups such as cousins, nephews and neices?

The Super visa is a great idea, and so is the health insurance part.

The Super visa would be a great idea if it can be extended to other relatives. As long as they have their own health care and don't burdent the tax payer, why not extending to other relatives?

You are welcome to visit your kids and grand kids, just make sure you have your own health care and don't burden the tax payer.

Canadians support this! Canadians are fine with people visiting as long as it does not cost the tax payer money!

They should end the parent and grand parent sponsorship program completely after the 2 years.
Baloo said:
But if they are not insured and require medical treatment, the Canadian taxpayer has to cover any medical expenses.
Well, I don't think every single visitors to Canada are insured especially for those staying less than six months. Do you mean if they are not insured and require medical treatment, the Canadian taxpayer has to cover any medical expenses? If so, why not make it fair and extend to other visitors of Canada (including those with visa exempted passports) require them to pay for their own health insurance and don't burden the tax payer?

Tariq Ali

Jan 3, 2011
One of the mandatory requirement is to have the medical examination done in the country from where super visa is applied. Don't understand why it is made mandatory even though private health insurance for atleast a year worth CAD100K is required to be purchased. In old age, people are generally suffering from all sorts of old age ailments and since old age ailments are mainly walking disability, parkinson, stroke and so on, does this mean that these people will not get the super visa, precisely because they will not pass the medical exam, no matter if they have purchased the expensive private medical health insurance. Any views on that?

kan2008

Feb 26, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March, 2011
AOR Received.
July 14, 2011
File Transfer...
August 14, 2011
Med's Request
March, 08, 2013, Received April 08, 2013
Med's Done....
March 26, 2013
Interview........
Feb 04, 2013
Passport Req..
PPR1: September 02, 2013, PPR2: October 30, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-November, 2013
Tariq Ali said:
One of the mandatory requirement is to have the medical examination done in the country from where super visa is applied. Don't understand why it is made mandatory even though private health insurance for atleast a year worth CAD100K is required to be purchased. In old age, people are generally suffering from all sorts of old age ailments and since old age ailments are mainly walking disability, parkinson, stroke and so on, does this mean that these people will not get the super visa, precisely because they will not pass the medical exam, no matter if they have purchased the expensive private medical health insurance. Any views on that?
According to Super Visa GUIDE:

"Note: You will be required to undergo a medical examination. Medical instructions will be provided to you by the visa office. You are not required to complete a medical examination before you submit your application forms."

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Well, I don't think every single visitors to Canada are insured especially for those staying less than six months.

You are right, at present not everyone who visits Canada is insured.
But clearly the insurance requirement on the super visa is mandatory for a reason, IMO the government will work towards applying this mandatory cover to all visitors.

Also remember that it is not always about cost, medical services are finite.
I don't doubt that some Canadians (and no doubt many insurance companies) would prefer that visitors were repatriated in situations that require long term or expensive medical care.
Beds full of visitors, wouldn't play well to the public when Canadians are waiting for medical attention.
With insurance companies, repatriation is a common option for insured visitors, certainly where ongoing costs are high.

Do you mean if they are not insured and require medical treatment, the Canadian taxpayer has to cover any medical expenses?

The tax payer does not "have to cover medical expenses", but ask yourself what would happen if a visitor without medical cover falls ill or is injured?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
The tax payer does not "have to cover medical expenses", but ask yourself what would happen if a visitor without medical cover falls ill or is injured?
I don't know, but in China, as a visitor, when I got sick or injured but have no medical cover, either I or my friends/relatives have to pay the hospital a deposit/fee upfront before they would give me any treatment.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Tariq Ali said:
Hi,

So finally Super Visa is in effect. I was just going thru the cic website, and understood that undergoing medical exam is a must for this visa category...see below:

Note: You will be required to undergo an immigration medical examination in order to come to Canada. Instructions on completing the examination will be provided to you by the visa office. You are not required to complete the examination before you submit your application forms.

What I dont understand is the last sentence saying that You are not required to complete the examination before you submit your application forms. What exactly does it mean? Does it mean that once the VO asks for the medical exam, only then parents should undergo the exam? Do you see any chance that VO may not even ask for medical exam. Also I was thinking that old age parents and especially grandparents normally have some sort of disability ailments, so how do the visa office look at it? Please let me know your view on that.

Regarding Private Medical Insurance, How much do you think it would cost for atleast one year of health insurance for a coverage of $100,000/= . I know that there are many insurance providers out there with different price tags, but in general, roughly how much should it cost? What if parents dont get the visa, then is the money refunded? Furthermore, since this is a multiple entry 10 years visa, if parents get the visa and they plan to travel after like 6 or 8 months, how does this effect the insurance purchased and money paid for it?

Looking forward to your valuable input.

Thanks.

Tariq
Tariq
The insurance rates depend mostly on the age of your parents, as well as whether they have any pre existing conditions. With a deductible of $500 the cost for the insurance for a year would be roughly $1,498.51 per person, with no previous medical conditions, such as heart condition or major surgery.
If your parents don't receive the visa or if they decide to stay in Canada shorter than one year, you will get a refund from the insurance company. As far as travel, they are covered as long as they don't return to the country of origin.
You can apply online http://www.arbetovinsurance.com/supervisamedicalinsurance if it's more convenient or give us a call at 604-875-8878 and we can help you with all your questions or concerns

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
bsz said:
The problem with the supervisa medical insurance is that parents have to be insured for one year but not during their stay.

If they stay for 1 month they still have to pay the full year insurance which will cost each of them 4000 or even more.
Wow. I thought I clarified what the prices are actually like. Only someone 80+ would be asked to pay $4000 for a year's worth of insurance. for someone 59 its as low as $1208.15 And, when they return home after a month, as long as they didn't have a claim, they'd get 11/12 = 88% or so of the premium back. Travel medical insurance actually covers burial expenses, as well as shipping human remains back over seas to home country - among other things. So after age 80, the insurance companies looks at the morbidity table, and has to charge more to provide 'repatriation' benefits. Should the Canadian tax payers pay that possible expense? Is it 'too conservative' to say No? I'm not even a conservative but i'm amazed at some of the uproar over the high insurance rates. What was the plan before the super visa, to have the 80+ person come to Canada for 6 months without any insurance? I guess the government caught on.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haitokin said:
Wow. I thought I clarified what the prices are actually like. Only someone 80+ would be asked to pay $4000 for a year's worth of insurance. for someone 59 its as low as $1208.15 And, when they return home after a month, as long as they didn't have a claim, they'd get 11/12 = 88% or so of the premium back. Travel medical insurance actually covers burial expenses, as well as shipping human remains back over seas to home country - among other things. So after age 80, the insurance companies looks at the morbidity table, and has to charge more to provide 'repatriation' benefits. Should the Canadian tax payers pay that possible expense? Is it 'too conservative' to say No? I'm not even a conservative but i'm amazed at some of the uproar over the high insurance rates. What was the plan before the super visa, to have the 80+ person come to Canada for 6 months without any insurance? I guess the government caught on.
On the refund, I assume that thy have to provide proof that they have left Canada?

FWIW a funeral in Canada is really expensive $15,000 is the mid - low end price in Ontario.

These rates are not expensive considering what is being offered as cover.

In Canada with no insurance - Clearly not :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Haitokin said:
I completely agree with you. And I don't understand why people are shocked that those who are older or not in great health have to pay higher insurance premiums. That's how it works - and as you've pointed out, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. Insurance is a business - not a charity.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had two friends from Europe visit recently, it took ages to convince them that they should buy insurance cover.
They were here for just over a five weeks, about 25 days into their visit, the husband fell and hurt his ribs and back quite badly.

He needed:
An ambulance, emergency doctor, just one night in hospital, some medication, x-rays, a couple of follow up visits to the doctor.
The final cost was about $5200, his insurance paid for everything (apart from a small deductible).
The price of his insurance policy was nowhere near $5200.
He was very positive about the care that he received here, but could not believe the cost.

We pay for our medical services in Canada, in my view it should be mandatory for visitors to have insurance while they are here.
The friends must have enjoyed themselves despite the accident, they are saving their money to come back to Ottawa next summer - oddly enough, they now tell everyone to buy insurance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
We pay for our medical services in Canada, in my view it should be mandatory for visitors to have insurance while they are here.
The friends must have enjoyed themselves despite the accident, they are saving their money to come back to Ottawa next summer - oddly enough, they now tell everyone to buy insurance.
As long as super visa visitors have the money to cover for their own medical bills, I don't why the health insurance is made mandatory. Why not optional like other visitors?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
As long as super visa visitors have the money to cover for their own medical bills, I don't why the health insurance is made mandatory. Why not optional like other visitors?
Because you cannot know in advance how much the cover will cost. Certainly my friend would never have anticipated that slipping over (in the summer, not on ice) would cost $5200.

Don't forget that the CBSA have already asked some visitors for proof of insurance.
It seems that would better to have mandatory insurance for all.

whitebird

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please guide, how to apply for a Super Visa for parents. Please provide details about the forms needed and supporting documents.

CIC website shows the link below, but it shows the only form IMM 5257
Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada [IMM5257]
Is this single form is enough or we fill the complete application package for "TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA"
Please solve this confusion.
Thanks.