+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa or imigration for mother-in-law

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Hi,
Got a few questions I'd like to ask the experts. I've recently sponsored my wife and she got her PR about a month ago (yay!!!), her mom was with us for over a year on visitor's visa (we extended it once) then she left Canada for 2 months. She left on time and never overstayed her visit. She is flying back to Canada in mid-September again on a visitors visa (she has a 5year multiple-entry visa), but I don't want to go through the hassle of extending it every half a year and then having her leave because her stay has expired. Also, i've 1st hand heard stories where people with valid visas would be denied entry to Canada, because they spend too much time here or something.
Anyway, I'd like to avoid all that trouble, because we have a 10 month baby-boy on our hands and my mom-in-law was extremely helpful in caring and supporting my wife while i was at work. That, and a fact that my wife would like to start working very soon means we want her to stay with us on a permanent basis.

So, that being said:
1) can I/wife apply for supervisa for my mother-in-law/mother while she is in Canada?
2) can I/wife start sponsorship while my mother-in-law/mother is in Canada?
3) can I/wife apply for supervisa AND start sponsorship at the same time?
4) since my wife was recently sponsored by me and about a month ago she got her PR status, can I/wife sponsor mother-in-law/mother right away, or is there a delay or a waiting period?
5) does minimum income counts for me only or together with my spouse?

Thank you all in advance for any info

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jtg0d said:
1) can I/wife apply for supervisa for my mother-in-law/mother while she is in Canada?
Yes, yes and yes.

4) since my wife was recently sponsored by me and about a month ago she got her PR status, can I/wife sponsor mother-in-law/mother right away, or is there a delay or a waiting period?
There is no waiting period. Your wife will be sponsor, and you will be co-signer. Just need to make sure your combined Canadian income for 2013, 2014, 2015 meets LICO amount for your family size if you want to sponsor her in January 2017.

Also be careful how she talks to CBSA about her reason for coming to Canada. If she will be babysitting your kid while you and your wife are at work, technically that is illegal work since she won't have a work permit, and a Canadian could get paid for the exact same job. Others have been caught doing this exact thing in the past before and been deported for it (there are stories on this if you search).

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Thanks for a quick reply

If she will be babysitting your kid while you and your wife are at work, technically that is illegal work since she won't have a work permit, and a Canadian could get paid for the exact same job
Even if she is not getting paid for it? Wow, I am truly surprised by this.
What if my wife is not working and her mom just helps out, is that also considered illegal?

Thank you for the tip!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jtg0d said:
Thanks for a quick reply
Even if she is not getting paid for it? Wow, I am truly surprised by this.
What if my wife is not working and her mom just helps out, is that also considered illegal?

Thank you for the tip!
Pay is irrelevant (even though you are most likely paying her in room and board). People on visitor status here are not even allowed to volunteer for anything that a Canadian would normally be paid to do.

If your wife is staying at home and her mom is just helping out, that is probably ok. However her going to work and having the mom babysit full time would definitely cross that line into illegal work since the only alternative is to hire someone to babysit or pay to put the baby in daycare services. So the mom is impacting the Canadian workforce.

Many people though do get family member visitors to act as babysitters, and 99% probably don't run into any issues. You would just need to be careful who you mention the situation to i.e. don't tell CBSA or in any PR app, don't post on social media, and don't mention it to others. I bet all cases of people being caught for this, was due to friends with a grudge aware of the situation directly reporting them to CIC or CBSA.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to sponsor her, have a look at this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2016-01-07.asp In 3 days from January 4th this year until January 7th, they received 14,000 applications to sponsor parents for a quota of 5,000. According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/sponsor-parents.asp they will reopen the program on January 3rd 2017 with a quota of 10,000 and I suggest you make sure that your application gets there on January 3rd if you want to have a chance.

You can however apply for a super visa now.

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Thnx Rob and Leon.

Fingers crossed in 2 weeks, that's when my in-law is arriving. I'll tell her not to mention babysitting, just helping out. My wife is unemployed and we were talking about her finding work on a very high level, so it won't be a lie that mom will just help out. We will also do a lot more travel now that baby is almost a year old. In the meantime we will apply for a supervisa and sponsorship on Jan 3rd.

Cheers

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jtg0d said:
Fingers crossed in 2 weeks, that's when my in-law is arriving. I'll tell her not to mention babysitting, just helping out. My wife is unemployed and we were talking about her finding work on a very high level, so it won't be a lie that mom will just help out. We will also do a lot more travel now that baby is almost a year old. In the meantime we will apply for a supervisa and sponsorship on Jan 3rd.
She should not be saying that she is going to be " just helping out". She should state that she is coming to VISIT her family.

You do not need to wait until Jan 2017 to apply for a supervisa.

LeeLaLa

Oct 6, 2016
jtg0d said:
Hi,
Got a few questions I'd like to ask the experts. I've recently sponsored my wife and she got her PR about a month ago (yay!!!), her mom was with us for over a year on visitor's visa (we extended it once) then she left Canada for 2 months. She left on time and never overstayed her visit. She is flying back to Canada in mid-September again on a visitors visa (she has a 5year multiple-entry visa), but I don't want to go through the hassle of extending it every half a year and then having her leave because her stay has expired. Also, i've 1st hand heard stories where people with valid visas would be denied entry to Canada, because they spend too much time here or something.
Anyway, I'd like to avoid all that trouble, because we have a 10 month baby-boy on our hands and my mom-in-law was extremely helpful in caring and supporting my wife while i was at work. That, and a fact that my wife would like to start working very soon means we want her to stay with us on a permanent basis.

So, that being said:

Thank you all in advance for any info
Hi , sorry that i can not answer your questions, but i have one for you. Did you need private insurance when bringing your mother in law on visit visa? I wanna bring my mom on visit visa , but afraid that immigration can reject because of her age , she is 75 but no medical condition what so ever. I only plan to bring her for a year. Super visa process takes longer and i have to buy insurance etc i do not think all these efforts worth just a year visit. I would appropriate any information! Thank you very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
LeeLaLa said:
Hi , sorry that i can not answer your questions, but i have one for you. Did you need private insurance when bringing your mother in law on visit visa? I wanna bring my mom on visit visa , but afraid that immigration can reject because of her age , she is 75 but no medical condition what so ever. I only plan to bring her for a year. Super visa process takes longer and i have to buy insurance etc i do not think all these efforts worth just a year visit. I would appropriate any information! Thank you very much!
You don't need insurance to come on a regular visitor visa. However coming to Canada without insurance is a very risky move. If your mother ends up needing emergency care- this could easily cost you tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Buy insurance.

LeeLaLa

Oct 6, 2016
scylla said:
You don't need insurance to come on a regular visitor visa. However coming to Canada without insurance is a very risky move. If your mother ends up needing emergency care- this could easily cost you tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Buy insurance.
I totally agree with you, i most probably i will get one for her. I am trying to find out if she has a chance to be granted visit visa without insurance?She is 75 as been said. I can get her insurance upon arrival.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
LeeLaLa said:
I totally agree with you, i most probably i will get one for her. I am trying to find out if she has a chance to be granted visit visa without insurance?She is 75 as been said. I can get her insurance upon arrival.
Yes - she can get a regular visitor visa without insurance. I would very strongly recommend she buy insurance before she arrives in Canada. A friend of mine had a parent visiting Canada. Parent fell at the airport and broker her arm and needed surgery and hospitalization. She hadn't purchased insurance yet. Cost them around $30K.