+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa for parents? Cost=4000$/year! Action is needed, petition?

ladyinwaiting

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2008
Doc's Request.
25-11-2011
File Transfer...
25-02-2012
Med's Request
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
01-12-2012
Passport Req..
10-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
23-02-2013
I understand, Baloo. And I agree with the government if you ask me... Many of the Parents and Grandparents that wish to immigrate to Canada are retired and won't be working for long, even if they ever do, in Canada.

But many Parents are still young and willing to work and contribute to the Canadian economy. If I were in the Immigration side of the story, I would give a preference to those. The other ones, retired ones, not working ones, may as well get the Super Visa. I don't see why not.

Midcityjohn

Nov 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think my post was misunderstood. I'm not saying Canadians should have to pay for healthcare for visitors. My point is anyone staying for up to 2 years and possibly 10 years with extensions is NOT a visitor. They would be living here without any rights or privileges. And you would be paying 4000 a year or 333 a month for that vs just filing extensions. Not to mention deductibles. Why get pricey health insurance for your family just visiting here? Why couldn't they just return home for treatment? I mean would you not rather see them get treatment where they live in the comfort of their home? No, because you know that you view them here for 2 years or more as living here with you.

CIC knows those people are going to be living here. That's why they said get health insurance, so Canada wont have to pay for it.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Even if they came for a 2 week holiday they should get travel insurance to cover medical expenses. If, for example, someone had a heart attack they would not be able to get home for treatment so they need the cover in Canada

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Midcityjohn said:
I think my post was misunderstood. I'm not saying Canadians should have to pay for healthcare for visitors. My point is anyone staying for up to 2 years and possibly 10 years with extensions is NOT a visitor. They would be living here without any rights or privileges. And you would be paying 4000 a year or 333 a month for that vs just filing extensions. Not to mention deductibles. Why get pricey health insurance for your family just visiting here? Why couldn't they just return home for treatment? I mean would you not rather see them get treatment where they live in the comfort of their home? No, because you know that you view them here for 2 years or more as living here with you.

CIC knows those people are going to be living here. That's why they said get health insurance, so Canada wont have to pay for it.
Because in a few years they will again be able to apply for PR if they really do intend to stay 10 yrs+. And no, a lot of people can't just return home for treatment. What if they fall and break a leg or hip while visiting? What if they come down with strep throat or pneumonia? Sure, if they discover a lump that might be cancerous it would likely be more affordable for them to return home and deal with a long term illness there, but if it's something that needs to be treated right away then no they can't just return home to have it sorted out. What if home is an 18 hr plane ride away? Requiring health insurance be held by visitors intending to stay for an extended period protects the visitor. The government would not have covered their medical expenses even if they hadn't required a private insurance to be held by the visitor, so you might have ended up seeing people accumulate massive medical debt while here on visit.

Btw, even to get a medical prescription filled in some provinces you have to have a prescription from a doctor certified there. I had to pay out of pocket last year to see a doctor in Quebec just to get a new prescription filled out because the pharmacies here will not accept prescriptions written by doctors outside the province (I took him my brand new prescription paper from a U.S. based doctor, and all he did was recopy it onto his prescription paper) and the cost was $40. I made the mistake of asking him to look at my throat while I was there because I had a swollen gland, and the price jumped to $150. I had to pay cash, on the spot, because my American insurance didn't cover it and I hadn't bothered to buy traveler's insurance before coming (and it's certain the the Quebec government was not offering to cover the bill!)

The regulation hasn't been put in place to screw over parents, grandparents, or the family they're coming to stay with. It's to protect them.

kan2008

Feb 26, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March, 2011
AOR Received.
July 14, 2011
File Transfer...
August 14, 2011
Med's Request
March, 08, 2013, Received April 08, 2013
Med's Done....
March 26, 2013
Interview........
Feb 04, 2013
Passport Req..
PPR1: September 02, 2013, PPR2: October 30, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-November, 2013
AAL1984 said:
So what? Go complain to the insurance companies, it's not the governments fault.
This is the government fault. Are you saying conservative govt is naive? :)

This govt not even stopped parents sposnorship category but also made very difficult for the majority of Canadians to bring their parents.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Who even sponsor's grand parents?? This part should be eliminated.

oceans_end

Star Member
Dec 16, 2009
why in the world do you need a super visa for 2 weeks? petition lol?

in order to meet the visa requirements you have to provide proof of income, $4000 is a drop in the bucket for a visa holder without healthcare in this country, so even if it was not a requirement one should buy insurance regardless.

oceans_end

Star Member
Dec 16, 2009
kan2008 said:
This is the government fault. Are you saying conservative govt is naive? :)

This govt not even stopped parents sposnorship category but also made very difficult for the majority of Canadians to bring their parents.
the govt made the process faster and made the visas longer, how does it make it VERY difficult for MAJORITY of Canadians to bring their parents.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Alabaman said:
Why should it? My kids and my nephews are very close to my mom

kan2008

Feb 26, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March, 2011
AOR Received.
July 14, 2011
File Transfer...
August 14, 2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
March 26, 2013
Interview........
Feb 04, 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
12-November, 2013
Alabaman said:
They should start a new parent sponsorship program based on points and they should give weightage to the age factor (you cannot treat 50 years old parent with 80 year old parent in same manner). And also should consider a dependent children factor who are coming with this parents as dependents and consire age, education, etc as they consider in Skilled Worker Program (points based).

But who can suggest to a Naive govt?

kan2008

Feb 26, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March, 2011
AOR Received.
July 14, 2011
File Transfer...
August 14, 2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
March 26, 2013
Interview........
Feb 04, 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
12-November, 2013
oceans_end said:
the govt made the process faster and made the visas longer, how does it make it VERY difficult for MAJORITY of Canadians to bring their parents.
I suppose majority of parents do not want stay in this country longer (2years), beacsue of weather, social problems. I do not think parents need longer visas.

If the govt was sincere in this they should have not put too many condition for the parents (medical, income, ties, stability in you home country).

All these conditions are also for the normal TRV visa. so where is the leniency? Even they put more barriers

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
I can't seem to navigate around this site. :mad: someone sent me a pm - but the system says I can't reply to it. I wonder if the system sent the person who sent the pm a message saying 'he got it, but we won't let him reply'.

Sorry to post this here, but do you have to be a 'two star' contributor or turn on a switch somehow to enable pm back and forth? By the way Jonats - the short answer is $1208.15 per person per year. I don't want to get in to the details of policy selection here - and that answer could change depending on medical situation - it would have been efficient if I could have simply replied to PM.

Anyone have any pointers?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haitokin said:
I can't seem to navigate around this site. :mad: someone sent me a pm - but the system says I can't reply to it.
You need more posts before you can do what you want.

bbiery

Star Member
Aug 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2011
Doc's Request.
5-3-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2011
Med's Request
08-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-09-2011
Passport Req..
26-04-2012/Decision Made 14-05-2012
Sorry the government and its tax payers are not here to pay your grandparents/parents emergency medical bills. It would be ridiculous for the government.to.let them in without private insurance. The reason the premiums are high is because they are more likely to need medical care. The government has enough trouble.providing for those who have contributed.

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
The problem is that

Why should they pay for the time they are not in Canada?

It has to be limited to the time they are in.