+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa for parents? Cost=4000$/year! Action is needed, petition?

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Hi Everybody,

They have paused the Parents Sponsership programme and offered supervisa instead. But you should NOT be HAPPY! Because they say:

- prove that they have bought Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year; and

And it will costs your parents something around 4000$ to get such insurance for one year. So it will cost them 4000$ for insurance even if they are going to stay for two weeks only!

This is rediculus. I think we must do something. What's your idea about submitting a petition?

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Super Visa out of reach for many Canadians: http://www.southasianfocus.ca/community/article/102660

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
You can also try getting a quote for your parents to understand better:

http://www.visitorsinsurance.ca/?gclid=COX9pZDv8awCFacZQgodUCMJJA [You need 100,000 coverage]

http://www.safevisit.ca/index.php?pid=26&sid=51&gclid=CIXds5Hv8awCFYUZQgodmA9QKg

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
So what? Go complain to the insurance companies, it's not the governments fault.

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
I'm an independent travel insurance broker. :eek:

This site won't let me post a link to my BestQuoteTravelInsurance.ca website, where there is more complete info, including how to get an instant quote from Canada's top companies.

Hopefully they won't delete my opinion and insight too, there aren't too many people that know as much as I do about the travel insurance industry, or what people's options are. So for example, I can say that it won't cost $4000 (average) for the insurance. For someone 55 or so, it can be as low as $1200 per year. That compares to Provincial health care - it's 50% higher, but covers many things that provincail health care does not.

True, if you are 78, it's going to be expensive. ($3100-$3800) depending on whether you need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions or not - that's using a $500 deductible. I'm not going to argue with the costs - they are what they are. They are also refundable. 100% before arrival in Canada, partially refundable afterward - as long as no claim has been or will be made on the policy. However, I can also say that the industry is going to become much more competitive over the next 6-18 months, as the insurance companies respond to the newly created (Canadian) 'super visa health insurance', market.

What does that mean? It means more 'online' products will come available. Like Travel Guard Canada's discount policy (available on BestQuote site - but only available to certain ages), which knocks the agent commission in half to make it more affordable. It means more companies will be listed on the comparable quote travel insurance websites. New products will be created that might make it easier for consumers. For example, priced on a pay per month as you go basis - but these would have to be even more expensive if you understand the costs behind insurance; or - and this will happen sooner - multi-trip annual insurance policies for visitors to Canada. Currently only Manulife has one (it's on the site), but it's only good for multiple trips of up to 30 days at a time. That will change to more companies offering them, and perhaps having them allow multiple trips of up to 60, 90 or 105, 120 days. Things will change. The announcement caught a lot of the Canadian companies off guard - unable to offer 365 day policies, just as an example. That will change quickly.

Then, there's how immigration will interpret the rules, once the super visa's have been issued. They may allow, on subsequent visits, super visa holders to come with only a three month insurance policy if they are only staying three months - the stamp in the passport will be for three months - not two years. The super visa allows the stamp to be issued for up to two years - but that's not required, and the port of entry official will stamp what he's been told to stamp. In the beginning a one year policy will get a one year stamp, renewable without exit if proof of insurance is shown at the end of the allotted period. This is just my conjecture - but I've been through 35 countries and way more than 35 border crossings - the port of entry official has the power to interpret rules - it won't be any different in Canada.

Lastly, before I waste more time providing thoughtful opinion and information just to watch this message possibly be deleted by the mod,
there are some tricks and tips that I am already aware of in how people will be able to bend the rules - which include using provincial health care and cancelling the 'private' health care - all according to the rules. I'll wait to see if this post sticks to the thread before (possibly) expanding on that.

In the end, we all have to face it - the actual health care costs of an elderly couple are expensive. Our public health care system is so expensive to give to the public - that it might break soon. Yes, they need to run it more efficiently - but our population is getting older. So, expect to see alot more belt tightening around the edges of our health care system - like this. Soon, instead of taking three months to get accepted to OHIP - it'll take six.... Soon, the test for whether an elderly person can receive home care will be based on their personal assets as well as their personal income....changes are coming down the pipe.

Rather than trying to start a petition to pressure government, maybe the best bet is to send a message to the insurance companies that the market needs new products.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bsz said:
Hi Everybody,

They have paused the Parents Sponsership programme and offered supervisa instead. But you should NOT be HAPPY! Because they say:

- prove that they have bought Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year; and

And it will costs your parents something around 4000$ to get such insurance for one year. So it will cost them 4000$ for insurance even if they are going to stay for two weeks only!

This is rediculus. I think we must do something. What's your idea about submitting a petition?
If your parents are only staying for two weeks, forget the super visa. Just go for the regular single or multiple visit visas instead. You don't need a medical check-up and travel medical insurance are not compulsory.

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Please note that Supervisa is a replacement for the sponsorship but asking for one year insurance when they may stay only a few weeks or months is completely against the idea.

The problem is in the rules. I accept that parents have to be insured when they are in Canada but why they have to be insured for the whole year?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bsz said:
Please note that Supervisa is a replacement for the sponsorship but asking for one year insurance when they may stay only a few weeks or months is completely against the idea.

The problem is in the rules. I accept that parents have to be insured when they are in Canada but why they have to be insured for the whole year?
Why? because the rules specify it.

If they only want to visit short term, why wouldn't they apply for a regular visit visa?

A super visa is not a replacement for "sponsorship".

Midcityjohn

Nov 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC needs an entire overhaul. The super visa program is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of. What do they think people will be doing for 2 years in Canada? There are already a mass number of applicants sitting around waiting for papers who cant work or study in Canada. This program is going to create a large number of people living in Canada unable to work, study, or be covered under health insurance. Canada has a very open immigration policy and a very out dated immigration system.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Midcityjohn said:
CIC needs an entire overhaul. The super visa program is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of. What do they think people will be doing for 2 years in Canada? There are already a mass number of applicants sitting around waiting for papers who cant work or study in Canada. This program is going to create a large number of people living in Canada unable to work, study, or be covered under health insurance. Canada has a very open immigration policy and a very out dated immigration system.
The super visa was never intended to allow parents and grandparents to work or study.
Most people saw it as a way to allow P&GP to visit family members.

Midcityjohn

Nov 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah then that is no different from a regular tourist visa except you have to buy insurance to get it. The super visa announced the same time they decided to not accept parent/grandparent apps anymore. Who comes to JUST visit for 2 years? :-\ I'm sorry but if your here after a certain time has passed then you are living here. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Midcityjohn said:
Yeah then that is no different from a regular tourist visa except you have to buy insurance to get it. The super visa announced the same time they decided to not accept parent/grandparent apps anymore. Who comes to JUST visit for 2 years? :-\ I'm sorry but if your here after a certain time has passed then you are living here. Pretty lame if you ask me.
The big difference is that on a super visa the authorised stay in Canada is much longer. In the past it was a very big mess, with lots of uncertainly for those visiting.
That means that P&GP have less to worry about once they arrive in Canada. Canada does not need to pay for the medical costs for the visitors and CIC will be processing less "extension of stay" requests (freeing up staff for other tasks).

Who comes to visit for two years? Well, clearly P&GP can do it now.

As you said, P&GP applications are no longer accepted. When that application stream is open again, Canada may be moving to a system that is more like the Australian model, but the government hasn't decided what will be coming yet.

Canada is finally starting to change the immigration system, who knows what will happen?
It may be that all visitors will have to have medical cover for their stay, it has been mentioned in the past.
Canadians do not want to pay for anyone other than those who contribute to the system, I cannot fault them for that opinion.

ladyinwaiting

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2008
Doc's Request.
25-11-2011
File Transfer...
25-02-2012
Med's Request
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
01-12-2012
Passport Req..
10-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
23-02-2013
They didn't eliminate the Parent Sponsorship program, they just put a pause on it so they can work on the backlog. If you think about it, usually the wait for them to even START working on the process is 4 years, maybe if they work hard in this 2 year pause with the older sponsorships, when they open for new applicants it will be faster.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ladyinwaiting said:
They didn't eliminate the Parent Sponsorship program, they just put a pause on it so they can work on the backlog. If you think about it, usually the wait for them to even START working on the process is 4 years, maybe if they work hard in this 2 year pause with the older sponsorships, when they open for new applicants it will be faster.
That may be a bad assumption, remember that the government are reviewing many immigration processes.

Yes the old system was a very long process, of course it may have been by design.

Ask yourself what a government would be likely to do if the citizens don't want to pay P&GP medical bills?
Enforce mandatory medical cover - some people think this is bad, but it exists in the super visa.
Reduce the amount of P&GP that are allowed to immigrate by adding a cap.
Increase the costs to limit the number of applicants.

Like it or not, the Canadian government really only wants (needs) highly skilled immigrants, family spousal applicants are tolerated because of the direct impact on cradle Canadians (and the fact that spouses can contribute to society and the economy), however P&GP are not a priority (because of the perceived/real costs and the impact on resources).

We live in a world that has a lot of difficult decisions to make, everything has a cost, none of this will be easy.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I think it's fantastic - sorry, I know I appear to be the minority here! :D

My mom and dad are in England with 2 children & 2 grandchildren but 3 children & 4 (soon to be 5) grandchildren are in Canada. Now they have both retired they are able to come and spend substantial time with us here & see their grand kids grow up without having to choose between living here or there.

Private medical insurance is a small price to pay if it means I get to see my mom for more than a few weeks at a time.