+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa Extension

jbartolome

Jan 2, 2020
Hi,
My mother-in-law has been accepted for super visa (PG-1), and the expiry date is Mar 2020 (because her passport expiration is March 2020 too).
She arrived in Canada on January 2019 and then renewed her passport here in Canada last Spring May 2019. The new passport, without the Visa has 10 years validity.
Since her Super Visa expiration on her old passport is March 2020, what should we do to make her stay longer?
Thanks for your help :)

Reactions: NancyGamilla

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
My mother-in-law has been accepted for super visa (PG-1), and the expiry date is Mar 2020 (because her passport expiration is March 2020 too).
She arrived in Canada on January 2019 and then renewed her passport here in Canada last Spring May 2019. The new passport, without the Visa has 10 years validity.
Since her Super Visa expiration on her old passport is March 2020, what should we do to make her stay longer?
Thanks for your help :)
She doesn't need to apply for a new super visa to stay longer. She can just apply to extend her visitor status. A valid visa is not required to maintain status in Canada.

She will need to apply for a new visa when she wishes to return to Canada in future.

jbartolome

Jan 2, 2020
Thanks for the help guys,

We are trying to use the Visitor extension option, and trying to fill up the form before March.
Hopefully it will be accepted.
:)

Reactions: ankz001

jbartolome

Jan 2, 2020
We really needed my mother-in-law to take care of our kid since he is only 9 month old. Life is hard and lots of struggles, having your family with eases the burden of spending much to a day care.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
We really needed my mother-in-law to take care of our kid since he is only 9 month old. Life is hard and lots of struggles, having your family with eases the burden of spending much to a day care.
That's also seen as illegal work, since people actually earn a living doing that

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the help guys,

We are trying to use the Visitor extension option, and trying to fill up the form before March.
Hopefully it will be accepted.
:)
Wait until February to apply.

Don't mention that she is caring for the child. As above, it is considered illegal work.

jbartolome

Jan 2, 2020
Wait until February to apply.

Don't mention that she is caring for the child. As above, it is considered illegal work.
Yes. Thanks for the info. I'll take note of that. But mostly, we go out and take her to places here in Canada, showing her how beautiful this country is.

ankz001

Sep 21, 2017
She doesn't need to apply for a new super visa to stay longer. She can just apply to extend her visitor status. A valid visa is not required to maintain status in Canada.

She will need to apply for a new visa when she wishes to return to Canada in future.
@canuck_in_uk I am in similar situation. My mother got supervisa in august 2018 valid till April 6, 2020 (That's how long her passport was valid).
She came to Canada in Feb 2019 and is with us currently. Her passport was stamped by CBSA officer to be valid till Feb 2021, although visa is just till April 2020. We have her PGP PR file in process (at background check stage now).

I thought her only option was to return back home in March if we don't get CoPR by then. Can she apply for visa extension (is it the visitor visa extension, same for super visa?) Appreciate you reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@canuck_in_uk I am in similar situation. My mother got supervisa in august 2018 valid till April 6, 2020 (That's how long her passport was valid).
She came to Canada in Feb 2019 and is with us currently. Her passport was stamped by CBSA officer to be valid till Feb 2021, although visa is just till April 2020. We have her PGP PR file in process (at background check stage now).

I thought her only option was to return back home in March if we don't get CoPR by then. Can she apply for visa extension (is it the visitor visa extension, same for super visa?) Appreciate you reply.
She doesn't need to apply for anything right now or leave. She has valid status until Feb 2021.

jbartolome

Jan 2, 2020

You were lucky that your mother got accepted for PGP PR. And the CBSA stamped her passport until Feb 2021. Our difference is that, my in-laws didn't get the stamp from the CBSA. So we assume that her maximum stay, as per the VISA expiry says, is only until March 2020.

Reactions: ankz001

ankz001

Sep 21, 2017
You were lucky that your mother got accepted for PGP PR. And the CBSA stamped her passport until Feb 2021. Our difference is that, my in-laws didn't get the stamp from the CBSA. So we assume that her maximum stay, as per the VISA expiry says, is only until March 2020.
I am just not sure if we should trust that visa stamp or the actual visa counterfoil. I think if there is no stamp it will be valid only till the visa expiry then.