+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa dilemma

lyluk

Dec 21, 2014
My mother has waited years to apply for the super visa, she didn't meet the eligibility criteria. Finally she is able to apply and I'll be sending off her application this month. Now the dilemma, we don't want to lose this opportunity of getting the super visa so we need to make the right choice. (Assuming she does get the super visa approved)

My brother in the US just had a baby in the family and would like my mother to come over.
If my mother travels there and gets the super visa in the meantime, I am aware she can get her passport stamped in the US. Then she can come over to Canada to get it stamped at the border. However she cannot stay long in Canada, would this be a problem when they stamp her passport? Like a 1 month stay in Canada then going back to US. And since it will be a tourist visa for US, she can stay only 6 months max.

Or is it ok with the immigration officer at the border if she buys an open ticket so they give her a longer validity for her super visa? I'm afraid she gets only 1 month stay permit then has issue coming back to Canada at a later stage. Am I wrong in thinking that? Or this doesn't matter? Since a super visa when granted is valid until the passport expires.

Or would it be safer she doesn't go to US and completes her super visa process in her country of origin then travels to Canada first?

Is it ok to buy an open travel ticket after obtaining a super visa generally speaking or she has to buy a return ticket so it's a smooth process at the border when they stamp the passport?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My mother has waited years to apply for the super visa, she didn't meet the eligibility criteria. Finally she is able to apply and I'll be sending off her application this month. Now the dilemma, we don't want to lose this opportunity of getting the super visa so we need to make the right choice. (Assuming she does get the super visa approved)

My brother in the US just had a baby in the family and would like my mother to come over.
If my mother travels there and gets the super visa in the meantime, I am aware she can get her passport stamped in the US. Then she can come over to Canada to get it stamped at the border. However she cannot stay long in Canada, would this be a problem when they stamp her passport? Like a 1 month stay in Canada then going back to US. And since it will be a tourist visa for US, she can stay only 6 months max.

Or is it ok with the immigration officer at the border if she buys an open ticket so they give her a longer validity for her super visa? I'm afraid she gets only 1 month stay permit then has issue coming back to Canada at a later stage. Am I wrong in thinking that? Or this doesn't matter? Since a super visa when granted is valid until the passport expires.

Or would it be safer she doesn't go to US and completes her super visa process in her country of origin then travels to Canada first?

Is it ok to buy an open travel ticket after obtaining a super visa generally speaking or she has to buy a return ticket so it's a smooth process at the border when they stamp the passport?
I'm not sure what you mean by your mother not meeting the eligibility criteria for a super visa. I assume it was you who did not meet the criteria as a sponsor?

She can travel on a one way / open ticket. There is no issue with this and she doesn't need a return ticket as a super visa holder. It's also fine for her to only stay for a month.

lyluk

Dec 21, 2014
I'm not sure what you mean by your mother not meeting the eligibility criteria for a super visa. I assume it was you who did not meet the criteria as a sponsor?

She can travel on a one way / open ticket. There is no issue with this and she doesn't need a return ticket as a super visa holder. It's also fine for her to only stay for a month.
You are right, I should specify I wasn't eligible until recently. And thank you that is reassuring she can purchase a one way / open ticket.