+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying and working after completion of studies with study permit

Jojimiller

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
I'll Start looking for one, you still think i wait for IRCC reply? my OWP under TR to PR got sent to etobicoke office for processing (not sure if that indicates anything)
I guess you are applying as international student with student permit?
The requirements for the permit are having a valid status and work with authorisation.
your student status became invalid 90 days after you finished your first program. Therefore you don’t have a valid status to stay in Canada and have been working legally for over 1.5 years.
Did you change your school or program before you finish the first program?
Edit: illegally

Last edited:

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
I guess you are applying as international student with student permit?
The requirements for the permit are having a valid status and work with authorisation.
your student status became invalid 90 days after you finished your first program. Therefore you don’t have a valid status to stay in Canada and have been working legally for over 1.5 years.
Did you change your school or program before you finish the first program?
I changed after I finished my first program and got my refusal for my PGWP

Jojimiller

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
Unfortunately no, I assumed I did not need to change study permits again. I traveled in and out of the country with it so assumed it was not an issue.
You need to apply for a new permit for new program and you can’t start studying in the new program if the new one is not approved. It’s probably why your first pgwp was refused.
you are responsible to inform IRCC for the changes. Since you didnt, IRCC and border control think you are still studying in the first program you apply.

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
You need to apply for a new permit for new program and you can’t start studying in the new program if the new one is not approved. It’s probably why your first pgwp was refused.
you are responsible to inform IRCC for the changes. Since you didnt, IRCC and border control think you are still studying in the first program you apply.
There was a time I passed through the border of the US to Canada (I'm a US citizen) and I gave the border control my confirmation of enrollment of my new program. They took it for further screening but ultimately came back and gave it to me with everything being okay. I want to correct my mistakes. Please help me.

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021

first PGWP was refused becasue i did not apply within the time frame, which is 180 days within the completion of studies.

Jojimiller

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
There was a time I passed through the border of the US to Canada (I'm a US citizen) and I gave the border control my confirmation of enrollment of my new program. They took it for further screening but ultimately came back and gave it to me with everything being okay. I want to correct my mistakes. Please help me.
You still need a new study permit with the program you enrolled in. It could be a mistake on their end but I’m not familiar with that.

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
You still need a new study permit with the program you enrolled in. It could be a mistake on their end but I’m not familiar with that.
Do i get a webform and explain everything to IRCC or wait for a response, get a lawyer and explain how i did everything wrong.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What are the consequences, i do not want to be banned I want to stay in canada and not US please
It's hard to say. Refusal is certainly possible. I guess there's some possibility of a ban but I think the chances are higher it will be a refusal.

If you are refused, then you'll obviously need to explore other ways of applying for PR without having any Canadian work experience you can use.

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
It's hard to say. Refusal is certainly possible. I guess there's some possibility of a ban but I think the chances are higher it will be a refusal.

If you are refused, then you'll obviously need to explore other ways of applying for PR without having any Canadian work experience you can use.
UPDATE*
I ordered my GCMS notes and it’s been confirmed that it was transferred to Etobicoke for working and studying unauthorized. This was for my work permit under tr to pr. I just got my LMIA approved. Question is do I wait for the fairness letter and explain the situation before I reapy for a new work permit with rhr LMIA or do I apply now for a new work permit while I wait for a response of a fairness letter from IRCC.
Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
UPDATE*
I ordered my GCMS notes and it’s been confirmed that it was transferred to Etobicoke for working and studying unauthorized. This was for my work permit under tr to pr. I just got my LMIA approved. Question is do I wait for the fairness letter and explain the situation before I reapy for a new work permit with rhr LMIA or do I apply now for a new work permit while I wait for a response of a fairness letter from IRCC.
Thank you
I don't know. This is a pretty unique situation

Clearly IRCC is looking at the illegal work and illegal studies. Hard to say what the outcomes will be. It could be a straight refusal. Could be a refusal with an exclusion order which would make a work permit problematic. I guess there's some very very small chance you may be approved but I think that's extremely unlikely since your work experience was obtained without authorization and you can't count unauthorized work experience towards PR.

I think it's time for you to pay for a consultation with a good immigration lawyer. This is no longer a do-it-yourself situation.

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
I don't know. This is a pretty unique situation

Clearly IRCC is looking at the illegal work and illegal studies. Hard to say what the outcomes will be. It could be a straight refusal. Could be a refusal with an exclusion order which would make a work permit problematic. I guess there's some very very small chance you may be approved but I think that's extremely unlikely since your work experience was obtained without authorization and you can't count unauthorized work experience towards PR.

I think it's time for you to pay for a consultation with a good immigration lawyer. This is no longer a do-it-yourself situation.
Yes, I’m scheduled to talk to a consultant on Monday. If I’m applying it’ll just be to get a work permit as I can’t apply for PR until I get an authorized time of work. I’ll be working on not to get a 5 year ban. Hopefully IRCC understands with a good immigration lawyer.