+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa Application

chemistesa

Star Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hi,

My wife has been accepted to one of the Postgraduate Certificate (8 MONTHS) programs in Ontario. We are planning to apply for the study permit. Can anybody please help us with the questions below:

1. The approximate duration for study permit is given 228 days on the CIC website. If the study visa is issued later than the program start date, do we lose the tuition fee we pay?

2. Is it safe to apply together if I want to come with her or should she get the visa first and then I should apply?

3. Is 8 months program enough to get 1 year Postgraduate work permit?

4. Is the open work permit for spouses of international students granted when they are given the visa, or do they need to apply separately after receiving the visa? If so, what is the duration of this?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Tuition fee depends on school withdrawal and refund rules, there will be a date after which there is no refund, the school will probably allow study from home country to those that cant get into the country due to covid. You should check the new rules about studying from home country and all the new procedures about approval in principle etc and what applies to you.

If the program is considered to be of 1 academic year they SHOULD get 1 year PGWP, its always open to officers assessment.

If you want a work permit you need to apply for a work permit, in this case an Open Work Permit because your spouse is studying in Canada. Duration is same as study permit.

chemistesa

Star Member
Feb 10, 2017
Tuition fee depends on school withdrawal and refund rules, there will be a date after which there is no refund, the school will probably allow study from home country to those that cant get into the country due to covid. You should check the new rules about studying from home country and all the new procedures about approval in principle etc and what applies to you.

If the program is considered to be of 1 academic year they SHOULD get 1 year PGWP, its always open to officers assessment.

If you want a work permit you need to apply for a work permit, in this case an Open Work Permit because your spouse is studying in Canada. Duration is same as study permit.
Many thanks. Is the open work permit application done at the same time with the study permit application? Or should be done separately?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Many thanks. Is the open work permit application done at the same time with the study permit application? Or should be done separately?
Apply at the same time. Open work permits aren’t guaranteed so show strong proof of funds $14k minimum and ties to home country.

chemistesa

Star Member
Feb 10, 2017
Apply at the same time. Open work permits aren’t guaranteed so show strong proof of funds $14k minimum and ties to home country.
Thanks a lot. What can be a good tie to my home country? Me and my wife have houses both in our home countries. Is this good enough?