+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit process

asker123

Sep 17, 2017
Hi All,
I apologise upfront if this information can be found through search but I tried a bit and then thought I would rather asked straightforward. I am newbie to all this.
I live in Canada and helping a relative who lives in India. He has applied to a Canadian University for a Master Degree and is expecting to be accepted. Intake will be Jan 2024.
We are trying to prepare ourselves that when University accepts him, what are our next steps.
Do we need an agent for the next steps? I heard that there are two main processes 1. Study permit and 2. Visa
If an agent is needed, where should be hire the agent form? in Canada or in India? We applied to the University ourselves without help from any agent. I called one agent here in Canada. He is asking that once University accepts, Study permit and Visa etc, he will charge $1200 CAD. I am trying to see if this is worth it.
If we want to take the next processes ourselves. Then I have a few questions
1. Where will be apply for Study Permit? In Canada or in India to the Canadian Consulate? Are these processes online?
2. I guess Study permit comes first and then the Visa . Is that correct?
3. For getting Study Permit, I heard that along with University's acceptance letter, we need to provide Funding. His father and his grand father will do the funding because he has a job after his Bachelors degree but does not earn much. What mechanism need to be adopted to show funding? will his father need to transfer the money right away before the study permit ? please suggest
4. Are there any Medical test etc involved?
Thanks in Advance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,
I apologise upfront if this information can be found through search but I tried a bit and then thought I would rather asked straightforward. I am newbie to all this.
I live in Canada and helping a relative who lives in India. He has applied to a Canadian University for a Master Degree and is expecting to be accepted. Intake will be Jan 2024.
We are trying to prepare ourselves that when University accepts him, what are our next steps.
Do we need an agent for the next steps? I heard that there are two main processes 1. Study permit and 2. Visa
If an agent is needed, where should be hire the agent form? in Canada or in India? We applied to the University ourselves without help from any agent. I called one agent here in Canada. He is asking that once University accepts, Study permit and Visa etc, he will charge $1200 CAD. I am trying to see if this is worth it.
If we want to take the next processes ourselves. Then I have a few questions
1. Where will be apply for Study Permit? In Canada or in India to the Canadian Consulate? Are these processes online?
2. I guess Study permit comes first and then the Visa . Is that correct?
3. For getting Study Permit, I heard that along with University's acceptance letter, we need to provide Funding. His father and his grand father will do the funding because he has a job after his Bachelors degree but does not earn much. What mechanism need to be adopted to show funding? will his father need to transfer the money right away before the study permit ? please suggest
4. Are there any Medical test etc involved?
Thanks in Advance
He can do it himself.

1. Google - study permit Canada and he applies online from India.
2. Permit and visa are the same thing.
3. If he is over 22, he really needs to show his own fundS. He can include funds from others but it is at the discretion of IRCC to include the funds. If money is transferred then it will need to be shown that is from his father which could raise red flags.
4. Yes, there is a medical.

asker123

Sep 17, 2017
He can do it himself.

1. Google - study permit Canada and he applies online from India.
2. Permit and visa are the same thing.
3. If he is over 22, he really needs to show his own fundS. He can include funds from others but it is at the discretion of IRCC to include the funds. If money is transferred then it will need to be shown that is from his father which could raise red flags.
4. Yes, there is a medical.
Thanks

3, How will a 22 year old have money in 10s of thousands of dollars of his own? He just started working last year and he is working in India not in Canada. Its a start up company who pays basic money there and then there are expenses. Money has to come from his father or grand father for the Masters study in Canada . Can you guys please suggest what to do to satisfy funding needs?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks

3, How will a 22 year old have money in 10s of thousands of dollars of his own? He just started working last year and he is working in India not in Canada. Its a start up company who pays basic money there and then there are expenses. Money has to come from his father or grand father for the Masters study in Canada . Can you guys please suggest what to do to satisfy funding needs?
If he is 22 then show the funds that he has with support. If IRCC refuses based on funds then it will be because it is not his own funds. His masters must justify costs with higher pay after completion.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Most universities and colleges (if not all) have an international department and they can help with the permit application process. Using an agent/lawyer is in most cases a complete waste of money.

Make sure studying at the institution qualifies for post graduate work permit. Not all do.

asker123

Sep 17, 2017
Thanks for the feedback so far. I have started to follow this forum and gaining more knowledge. There are two processes being talked SDS and non-SDS. Which one to choose?
The SDS expects you to pay full year tution fee and show a GIC of $10000. Can his father or grand father pay for the both these items? I checked his date of Birth . He is indeed 22 but does not have that much money. The money will come from his parents else he will not be able to study. Also for the 2nd year of the program, can he show a statement from his father and grand father's account as proof of funding?
Also I am trying to understand what are the ways to pay for this first year tution and do a GIC. These people are not heavy technology oriented to they dont use much online banking etc. How can they make these payments?

ItsOkToBeSmart

Star Member
Jul 28, 2023
Thanks for the feedback so far. I have started to follow this forum and gaining more knowledge. There are two processes being talked SDS and non-SDS. Which one to choose?
The SDS expects you to pay full year tution fee and show a GIC of $10000. Can his father or grand father pay for the both these items? I checked his date of Birth . He is indeed 22 but does not have that much money. The money will come from his parents else he will not be able to study. Also for the 2nd year of the program, can he show a statement from his father and grand father's account as proof of funding?
Also I am trying to understand what are the ways to pay for this first year tution and do a GIC. These people are not heavy technology oriented to they dont use much online banking etc. How can they make these payments?
SDS is Student Direct Stream. In this type you have to pay the fees for the first year, do a GIC as well as show sufficient funds which are more than or equal to the second year fees. SDS processing times are usually fast if you submit a complete application.
In Non-SDS you do not have to show that you paid the fees or GIC as they are not a requirement in this. Although you need to show sufficient funds to convince the visa officer that you can pay your fees and survive in Canada. The non-SDS visa application usually takes longer but in my case I received my study visa in 18 days no its different for everyone.

Reactions: asker123