+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit + LMO received, can I apply for work permit right away?

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have a valid study permit, an off-campus work permit, and I received a job offer.
Now a positive LMO was issued, and I was wondering if I can apply for the work
permit right away, or should I rather wait till I'm done with school.

I found some posts saying that you can't have both work and study permits, that one
voids the other.

But the FAQ says something different:

www(dot)cic(dot)gc(dot)ca/english/information/faq/study/

If you are not eligible or do not want to work under a student-related
work permit program (such as the Off-Campus Work Permit Program,
On-Campus Work Program, Post-Graduation Work Permit Program,
or Internship/Co-op Program), you can apply for a work permit to work in
Canada during or after your studies under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
(bold is mine)

So, if I apply right away and get a work permit, will I lose my study permit?
Or will the work permit application be denied? And if so, does it mean
it invalidates the LMO and I need a new one?

Thanks!

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sjakub said:
I found some posts saying that you can't have both work and study permits, that one
voids the other.
This is incorrect. I've my study permit as well as work permit.

Yes, if you look at the study permit, it say's that you cannot work in Canada unless authorized. And if you look at the work permit, it says that you cannot study in Canada unless authorized.

Actually the employers do not ask for work permit at all. They ask for SIN (Social Insurance Number) which you get once you have a valid Work permit.

I've worked with three employers legally in Canada and none of them asked for work permit. All they wanted to see was my SIN card (and that too for taxation purpose).

GS

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That sounds good :)

So I have a followup question - do you know if applying
for this work permit affects my eligibility for a post graduate work permit?

The whole LMO process was started when I had problems with my prof at
school and I didn't know if I'm going to be a student much longer.
This has now been resolved.

But since this is through a specific company, it means that it's
not an open work permit (right?).

On the other hand, the post graduate work permit is an open one
(and at the moment I do plan to graduate).
Does it make sense to apply for this work permit "just in case",
and for a post graduate work permit once I graduate, or is it better to wait?

Thanks!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sjakub said:
Hi,

I have a valid study permit, an off-campus work permit, and I received a job offer.

voids the other.

(bold is mine)

Thanks!
Hi,

1. You can't have a study permit + FULL work permit (NOT a PGWP/Off campus work permit) at the same time. One thing invalidate the other.
2. With a positive LMO in hand, you can apply for a FULL work permit right away. If you get it, you will lose your study permit automatically

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, I mixed the off campus with open work permit part. Enfield is right.

However, in my case me and few of my classmates were given open work permit at the Airport itself since we had a mandatory co-op in few months. This was very rare and none of other students had this chance.

GS

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Sorry, I mixed the off campus with open work permit part. Enfield is right.

However, in my case me and few of my classmates were given open work permit at the Airport itself since we had a mandatory co-op in few months. This was very rare and none of other students had this chance.

GS
Hi,

1. Full work permit (based on a positive LMO) is not an 'Open Work Permit'. In your case its a Co-op based work permit; can't be more thn 50% of your course duration.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
enfield said:
Hi,

1. Full work permit (based on a positive LMO) is not an 'Open Work Permit'. In your case its a Co-op based work permit; can't be more thn 50% of your course duration.
Agreed. With an LMO you recieve a closed work permit tied to a specific employer (not an open work permit). I also agree that the closed work permit will cancel the study visa. You can't have both at once.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, this is the normal case. However, there are exceptions when it comes to specific courses.

I received an open work permit. The Employer field in my permit says OPEN, and Bonded field says No. I checked with many agencies and they told me it is an open work permit. it is valid till end of my visa in Dec 2012.

I was told that since my co-op will always be out of campus, you are given an OPEN work permit. There were 5 international student in my course and all received open work permits. I applied and received SIN which is also valid till end of my visa, i.e. Dec 2012.

When I applied for SIN, they did not asked for a job offer letter or a co-op letter since my permit was an OPEN one. All they asked was my passport and the work permit document.

I'm doing a graduate certificate programs which had a co-op in 2nd semester (which means only 4 months from date of landing). As I said, this is very rare case.

I started working legally in 2 weeks of my landing because of this. Even I was (pleasantly) surprised to see my permit and that I can start working immediately.

GS

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Yes, this is the normal case. However, there are exceptions when it comes to specific courses.

I received an open work permit. The Employer field in my permit says OPEN, and Bonded field says No. I checked with many agencies and they told me it is an open work permit. it is valid till end of my visa in Dec 2012.

I was told that since my co-op will always be out of campus, you are given an OPEN work permit. There were 5 international student in my course and all received open work permits. I applied and received SIN which is also valid till end of my visa, i.e. Dec 2012.

When I applied for SIN, they did not asked for a job offer letter or a co-op letter since my permit was an OPEN one. All they asked was my passport and the work permit document.

I'm doing a graduate certificate programs which had a co-op in 2nd semester (which means only 4 months from date of landing). As I said, this is very rare case.

I started working legally in 2 weeks of my landing because of this. Even I was (pleasantly) surprised to see my permit and that I can start working immediately.

GS
:)

Agreed. Still, you are talking about a Co-Op based work permit (its an example of an open work permit similar to PGWP and work permit based on a spouse study permit where there is NO need/restriction of job offer/job. So again, FULL work permit is NOT an open work permit. The same is NOT a student related work permit.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@enfield: Yup, agreed. My permit is based on the co-op portion only. I will apply for a full time permit once I graduate.

GS

j.ak

Mar 11, 2015
sjakub said:
Hi,

voids the other.

(bold is mine)

Thanks!
Hi

Could you please tell me what happened with you on this?

I have a similar situation and confused on what to do.
Is there any problem if I drop my course for work. Will that have any negative impact on me in future with cic?

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
j.ak said:
Is there any problem if I drop my course for work. Will that have any negative impact on me in future with cic?
No idea. But you can either have a full-time work permit, or a study permit. Either or.
If you follow the rules, I don't see how you could get in trouble with cic...

j.ak said:
Could you please tell me what happened with you on this?
I ended up not applying for full-time work permit and my LMO expired.
I stayed and school, and when I was done I applied for a post-grad work permit.
I was eligible for it because I had an off-campus work permit while studying.

I started working when I was waiting for the new permit (during processing you have an "implied" work permit or something like that).

After a few months I got that post-grad full-time work permit. However, by that time I had my PR status so it was irrelevant.

And right now I am a Canadian :)

That's the whole story...

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
j.ak said:
so did you start your pr process with that lmo?
No, I applied for PR much earlier.
I just had no idea when I would get it...

sharmad

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
25-02-2017
Hi,

voids the other.

(bold is mine)

Thanks!
Hey! I am facing almost similar situation as yours. I got study visa for Sept 17 intake and now my current employer is offering my LMO approved Intra-Company Transfer Work Permit. I haven't landed in Canada yet. So will it be fine if i defer my course and apply for Intra-Company Transfer Work Permit. Please reply.