Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Hi,

I and my spouse are in Canada on Work Permit. We moved from India to Canada in 2017 because of my transfer to Canada on an ICT visa and permit which got her a spouse open work permit. She has been accepted at UBC for in a 1 year Master of Engineering program focusing on nano-tech. So we need to apply for her Study permit, yippie! Or Convert her Work Permit into Study Permit, I suppose.

Trouble for us is that She completed her Masters of Technology ('Equivalent' to MEng) previously in India at a regional level India university. Needless to say, UBC's engineering degree is way way way better than what she holds and they have a massive research base around it. To make matters even more interesting, her past university in India (Masters one) has stopped even offering Masters in that subject.

So in short her profile is

Bachelor in Technology (Chemical) in 2011
Masters of Technology (Nanotech) in 2013
During 2013 she interned in a national level research lab to do her capstone project. In 2017 she published a paper based on her project back then.
Job in India as a project engineer in a chemical plant 2013-17
Job in India as a environment consultant 2017 (3 months)
Job in Canada as a sales rep 2018 (7 months)
Job in Canada as a customer service rep 2020 (3 months)

Now she wants to do this degree because in 2022 we are planning to go back to India (my ICT time is coming to an end in 2022) and we do not want to carry her "experience" of sales rep and customer service back to India as her highlight of career. It will be better to explain her position as a masters grad to her prospective employers in India with possibly a few months stint in a Canadian company as an intern or something.

Oh and financials should be a non-issue, I hope :) , I and her share a joint checking account in Canada since 2017 with high 6-figures numbers. Though majority came from my earnings. She also has her own checking account too with 20K of her own.

In opinion of folks here (tagging @PMM @scylla @k.h.p. @canuck78 ) what do you think are her chances of getting a SP successfully? She is repeating her degree but her past degree was sketchy to say the least and didn't offer good enough depth. We will be arguing her education in Canada as a skills up degree with value back home. We do not have a job offer back in India because... we are not in India.

She also has travel history to USA with no overstays.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I and my spouse are in Canada on Work Permit. We moved from India to Canada in 2017 because of my transfer to Canada on an ICT visa and permit which got her a spouse open work permit. She has been accepted at UBC for in a 1 year Master of Engineering program focusing on nano-tech. So we need to apply for her Study permit, yippie! Or Convert her Work Permit into Study Permit, I suppose.

Trouble for us is that She completed her Masters of Technology ('Equivalent' to MEng) previously in India at a regional level India university. Needless to say, UBC's engineering degree is way way way better than what she holds and they have a massive research base around it. To make matters even more interesting, her past university in India (Masters one) has stopped even offering Masters in that subject.

During 2013 she interned in a national level research lab to do her capstone project. In 2017 she published a paper based on her project back then.

Now she wants to do this degree because in 2022 we are planning to go back to India (my ICT time is coming to an end in 2022) and we do not want to carry her "experience" of sales rep and customer service back to India as her highlight of career. It will be better to explain her position as a masters grad to her prospective employers in India with possibly a few months stint in a Canadian company as an intern or something.

Oh and financials should be a non-issue, I hope :) , I and her share a joint checking account in Canada since 2017 with high 6-figures numbers. Though majority came from my earnings. She also has her own checking account too with 20K of her own.

In opinion of folks here (tagging @PMM @scylla @k.h.p. @canuck78 ) what do you think are her chances of getting a SP successfully? She is repeating her degree but her past degree was sketchy to say the least and didn't offer good enough depth. We will be arguing her education in Canada as a skills up degree with value back home. We do not have a job offer back in India because... we are not in India.

I can't comment on her chances of approval. Generally speaking people have a higher chance of approval if they are taking a master's degree from a good university. But each case is individual and the progression of her studies needs to make sense.

She will need to adequately explain why she wants to take the same / a very similar degree again and what she plans to do with this education given it looks like it's been a while she she has done any work in this field.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

As an aside, when is she scheduled to start her studies? Hopefully spring or fall of 2021 and not in January...

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
As an aside, when is she scheduled to start her studies? Hopefully spring or fall of 2021 and not in January...
Fall 2021. We deferred the enterance. We had an accept in oct but there was another trouble. Her WP was expiring and we had to apply for extension first. Applying for SP while her WP was in process was not safe as she was on implied status. The portal itself rejected it telling us to restore her status first with a parallel application for a SP. So we let WP application complete first and keep things simple. On Dec 14th her WP got approved. Now to SP. We just deffered her entry to fall 2021.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
She will need to adequately explain why she wants to take the same / a very similar degree again and what she plans to do with this education given it looks like it's been a while she she has done any work in this field.
To be honest, I am to blame for her predicament. She moved to Canada with me so that we could live together. This means she had to let her job at that time go. Now if she goes back with me with only Sales/Customer Service experience to show, will make her less employable in India. It will be easier if we go back with her having a recently minted Masters and some intern experience.

Reactions: scylla