+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit and working hours, please help...

KLRK

Jul 7, 2016
Hi, I'm encountering the following problem:
I've been on IEC visa since 21st of August 2015 till 20th of August 2016. In the meantime I applied for a study permit (I'm starting school in Canada) and I got a study permit which is in force since 25.07.2016.
The problem is the few days between both visas from 20th of August till the beginning of September I've been working full time (as my previous open work permit let me).

On my new study permit it is written that I can work 20 hours during studies and full time during the school breaks. The problem is the ten days between both visas there was no school break (because it was before I was suppose to start school) and I am not sure how to interpret these rules...

So, did I break the law? Could anyone help me? I'm really frightened and not sure what to do. I realized that I might have a problem today at school as they told me that I can't work full time before my school starts.

Please, any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You've been working illegally since your IEC expired.

KLRK

Jul 7, 2016
scylla said:
You've been working illegally since your IEC expired.
Thank you for your response. Could you tell me what are my options at the moment? Should I call them and explain myself?
It's only 8 days but I realize that might make a lot of mess with my papers and would like to straighten it up if possible.

EDIT:

I found this on CIC:
If you applied for a different kind of permit:

You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.

I'm really confused. I think I made a mistake working for these few days between two visas but on the other hand I'm not sure if it's really illegal... Could anyone advise me what should I do in my situation? Should I call CIC and admit what happened? I want to stay in Canada after my studies and I don't want these few days to make me troubles...