+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit + Admission Deferral + Re-applying

Nehu74

Apr 9, 2021
I got my study permit for Sept. 2019, but had deferred to January 2020. I arrived in Canada on Dec. 31st with no problems. My study permit was only issued until the date given on my IRCC letter so may need to extend it in country next year. I don't think you'll have a problem. Many others will be facing this same situation.
I'm in the same situation i got visa for may intake but before getting sp approved i already applied for defer and that got approved. So now I'm not getting it will create any problem. Would I update ircc my revised loa? Would this cancel my visa? Please reply... Really need help

Apr 27, 2021
Hey guys, i deferred my intake from Jan 21 to may 21 due to delay in my applocation processing time. I also update my new Loa by raising a webform. But the problem is that my visa got stamped as per the jan intake(from feb'21 till dec'21), and since i deferred, my study period of 8 months is also ending on dec. And therefore, i wont be getting 90 days period covered under my visa.
I am also planning to do my second course from May'22 intake.
If i apply for a study permit extention, will it be extended from the date of expiry of my visa(i.e 31st dec '21) or from my next course start date (i.e May'22).

melissahuang

Apr 27, 2018
Hey guys, i deferred my intake from Jan 21 to may 21 due to delay in my applocation processing time. I also update my new Loa by raising a webform. But the problem is that my visa got stamped as per the jan intake(from feb'21 till dec'21), and since i deferred, my study period of 8 months is also ending on dec. And therefore, i wont be getting 90 days period covered under my visa.
I am also planning to do my second course from May'22 intake.
If i apply for a study permit extention, will it be extended from the date of expiry of my visa(i.e 31st dec '21) or from my next course start date (i.e May'22).
Hi, i face the same situation too, can I know have you done?

melissahuang

Apr 27, 2018
I'm in the same situation i got visa for may intake but before getting sp approved i already applied for defer and that got approved. So now I'm not getting it will create any problem. Would I update ircc my revised loa? Would this cancel my visa? Please reply... Really need help
Hi, have you received any newest update please? can you advice please? I have received my student visa and want to defer my sept intake to jan intake 2022,

Suraj8848

Jul 8, 2021
Hello I am from Nepal and My semester starts in September but I do not have a study permit. My documents are under process. I have applied for Lambton college which doesn't have a defer system. What can i do incase my visa decision doesn't come before semester starts?

Suraj8848

Jul 8, 2021
My college do not have a defer system what can we do now? I applied for September intake but have no response from the IRCC till date.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello I am from Nepal and My semester starts in September but I do not have a study permit. My documents are under process. I have applied for Lambton college which doesn't have a defer system. What can i do incase my visa decision doesn't come before semester starts?
My college do not have a defer system what can we do now? I applied for September intake but have no response from the IRCC till date.
Do you have AIP? Does your program have online option? If yes, you can start studying online and tarvel to Canada once your SP is approved. If your application is refused (which hopefully would not happen), Lambton will refund your prpaid tuition less $250 processing fee:

https://www.lambtoncollege.ca/Programs/International/Refund___Withdrawal_Process/

HTH

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
Hi, sorry I did not get a notification as to this new message. Well, one thing is for sure: you DO NEED a study permit (or a visitor o a work permit) to enter Canada. You said "I do not have a study permit". Why? you did not know about this requirement or you did not apply or you applied and decision is being delayed? If you applied and no decision yet, then I would suggest to contact the college and explain them. Then see what possibilities are there that they enroll you for next semester, in which case you will need to re-appy, simply because they will request at the port of entry the college Letter of acceptance, you cannot exhibit the current one if you are entering to begin your studies let's say in winter/spring admission. You need a current LOA when at the point of landing

ljoseph

Jan 4, 2021
Is it possible to defer to a different program in the same college? The course which I got the offer letter is not there for May 2021,so I thought of taking another course that is related to the course that I opted.

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
H
Is it possible to defer to a different program in the same college? The course which I got the offer letter is not there for May 2021,so I thought of taking another course that is related to the course that I opted.
Hi,
Hi, I'd need more context as to this. Did you already applied and have the Permit granted for the course you enrolled?

Tamam300

Dec 23, 2021
H

Hi,
Hi, I'd need more context as to this. Did you already applied and have the Permit granted for the course you enrolled?
Hey, I’m actually considering a deferral from january 2022 to september 2022, the reason is because i was asked for visa stamping to late and and still has not received, so im already short notice to make all necessary arrangements
So, will pause a problem if i defer to september 2022 even if i get my visa approved from the LOA of january, would be able to use the same visa?

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
Hi, sorry the forum was down a copuple of days.
Well now, your scenario is similar to mine. What I did is to request a deferral LOA for September 22 and did not re-apply. Just waited for the stamped passport and waited till the last days of July to travel with the Visa that they already approved. But do not forget to take all the documents with you, le original LOA and the new that you will request form college. Then, you start studying and the only thing you will need to do is to request extesion(s). Do not forget to ask your college to help with this (the extension), they will provide you all the document, but you apply for the extension with 60-90 days before the expiry date of your Study permit (original). The way behore hand you apply the better and the peace of mind you get. Good luck!!

juanjonovoa

Feb 15, 2022
Hi, sorry the forum was down a copuple of days.
Well now, your scenario is similar to mine. What I did is to request a deferral LOA for September 22 and did not re-apply. Just waited for the stamped passport and waited till the last days of July to travel with the Visa that they already approved. But do not forget to take all the documents with you, le original LOA and the new that you will request form college. Then, you start studying and the only thing you will need to do is to request extesion(s). Do not forget to ask your college to help with this (the extension), they will provide you all the document, but you apply for the extension with 60-90 days before the expiry date of your Study permit (original). The way behore hand you apply the better and the peace of mind you get. Good luck!!
Hi I am from Colombia.

I am going to explain my case. Thank you very much for the assistance.

I got a LOA to study a masters degree in Halifax to start in September 2022. I applied for the study permit in January 2022, and I got that until November 2023.

I could travel to Canada in August to start the program in normal conditions. However, due to some personal issues, it could be probable that I must to return to my country two or three months after start the master. If it is the case, I would ask to the university for a deferral and ask them for a new LOA.

The trouble here is that usually the intake of most master's degrees is in September. For this reason, I would need to wait a year to start again the program in sept 2023. Having said that, the new LOA would have Sept 2023 as the new start program date.

In this case, in which I have already entered in Canada for two months but because of personal issues I must leave, what do you thing could be the best option?

Remember that It would be a fact, that I would have the new LOA with the new start date.

So my question is, could be risky to apply again later when I have the new LOA if I already used my study permit? The fact that I already enter in Canada and l have left, could be seen as negative by embassy when I re apply for the new visa? Obviously, I would explain all the details to the immigration agent both when I leave Canada and when I re apply again.

Thank you very much for your help.

Tamam300

Dec 23, 2021
Hi,
I have a similar doubt. I applied for my Study Permit for the January intake but because of the current circumstances, I have decided to defer to the September intake. In case, I do get approval, will I have to re-apply for Visa or can I use the same approval letter at the borders and show them my new Acceptance Letter (with the new dates)? Will that be enough? Or will I have to re-apply?
Hey what did u do at the POE?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I am from Colombia.

I am going to explain my case. Thank you very much for the assistance.

I got a LOA to study a masters degree in Halifax to start in September 2022. I applied for the study permit in January 2022, and I got that until November 2023.

I could travel to Canada in August to start the program in normal conditions. However, due to some personal issues, it could be probable that I must to return to my country two or three months after start the master. If it is the case, I would ask to the university for a deferral and ask them for a new LOA.

The trouble here is that usually the intake of most master's degrees is in September. For this reason, I would need to wait a year to start again the program in sept 2023. Having said that, the new LOA would have Sept 2023 as the new start program date.

In this case, in which I have already entered in Canada for two months but because of personal issues I must leave, what do you thing could be the best option?

Remember that It would be a fact, that I would have the new LOA with the new start date.

So my question is, could be risky to apply again later when I have the new LOA if I already used my study permit? The fact that I already enter in Canada and l have left, could be seen as negative by embassy when I re apply for the new visa? Obviously, I would explain all the details to the immigration agent both when I leave Canada and when I re apply again.

Thank you very much for your help.
There is no point in entering Canada if you are not going to start your masters. The school will report you as not attending. You should ask if you can defer your admission, inform IRCC and apply for a study permit extension.