+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study and Co op work permits. Work full time. Winter 2024

tva

Sep 12, 2020
Hi all!

I currently have a study permit, which expires in December 2024.

I have an offer to start a Co op placement from January to April 2024.

Because of the rules, I do not know if I would be able to work more than 20 hours per week.
The employer suggested me to apply for a co op work permit. I asked my University to provide a letter and I have applied for it.

Am I able to start working more than 20 hours per week while waiting for my co op permit from January to April 2024?

Any help on that would be appreciated.
Hope you all have a great weekend.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all!

I currently have a study permit, which expires in December 2024.

I have an offer to start a Co op placement from January to April 2024.

Because of the rules, I do not know if I would be able to work more than 20 hours per week.
The employer suggested me to apply for a co op work permit. I asked my University to provide a letter and I have applied for it.

Am I able to start working more than 20 hours per week while waiting for my co op permit from January to April 2024?

Any help on that would be appreciated.
Hope you all have a great weekend.
You cannot work more than 20 hours without an approved co-op work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html

Reactions: tva

tva

Sep 12, 2020
I thought these lines below would allow me to work more than 20hours in 2024 while waiting for the co op permit approval. I guess I have to wait for a decision then, right?

just for context, I am already in Canada.

“If your co-op placement ends after December 31, 2023, or if you aren’t eligible for the temporary policy change, you need to apply for a co-op work permit to cover the period after that date. You can begin your co-op placement during this period before you’re issued the permit. Any other employment you have won’t be affected.”

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I thought these lines below would allow me to work more than 20hours in 2024 while waiting for the co op permit approval. I guess I have to wait for a decision then, right?

just for context, I am already in Canada.

“If your co-op placement ends after December 31, 2023, or if you aren’t eligible for the temporary policy change, you need to apply for a co-op work permit to cover the period after that date. You can begin your co-op placement during this period before you’re issued the permit. Any other employment you have won’t be affected.”
But you haven’t started your placement. Your placement starts in January and the current policy ends December 31. Ask your international advisor If you fall under current guidelines For confirmation.

Reactions: tva