+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa -- Info required for admission process

Zed211

Feb 13, 2024
I am a Bachelor in Mass Communication (3.2 CGPA) from a HEC recognized university in Pakistan. I have extensive experience (over 10 years) as an entertainment and lifestyle journalist in this field. I have published work in magazines as well as online. I am looking for suggestions as to what universities and certificate programs (2-3 semesters) are good for me to apply to for in person classes (NOT online courses). I have done my research and shortlisted some Advertising & Digital Media related courses in Humber College, Durham College, Centennial College so far.
I need some guidance as to what programs, courses, universities are more keen to take international students with relevant experience? What other challenges might I need to keep in mind?
I do not have an IELTS score, but I am preparing for it. It is possible that a student may be given an exemption for IELTS based on the body of work or experience? If yes, are there any particular universities or courses?
What is the student visa timeline or visa validity period for Canada majorly Toronto?
Feel free to share any relevant information.
Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a Bachelor in Mass Communication (3.2 CGPA) from a HEC recognized university in Pakistan. I have extensive experience (over 10 years) as an entertainment and lifestyle journalist in this field. I have published work in magazines as well as online. I am looking for suggestions as to what universities and certificate programs (2-3 semesters) are good for me to apply to for in person classes (NOT online courses). I have done my research and shortlisted some Advertising & Digital Media related courses in Humber College, Durham College, Centennial College so far.
I need some guidance as to what programs, courses, universities are more keen to take international students with relevant experience? What other challenges might I need to keep in mind?
I do not have an IELTS score, but I am preparing for it. It is possible that a student may be given an exemption for IELTS based on the body of work or experience? If yes, are there any particular universities or courses?
What is the student visa timeline or visa validity period for Canada majorly Toronto?
Feel free to share any relevant information.
Thank you
Government has just announced a cap on international students so you will need a letter of attestation from the province if not doing a masters. All the schools you mention are colleges. Look at Masters programs too. You need to focus on a program that builds on your education and gives you better and higher paying jobs when your return to Pakistan when you return. You need to show why you must study in Canada to justify the costs. Since you have done your research then pick the program that meets the criteria for you. IELTS helps, and you have to ask the school if they will exempt you. Most don’t. Are you single?

Zed211

Feb 13, 2024
Government has just announced a cap on international students so you will need a letter of attestation from the province if not doing a masters. All the schools you mention are colleges. Look at Masters programs too. You need to focus on a program that builds on your education and gives you better and higher paying jobs when your return to Pakistan when you return. You need to show why you must study in Canada to justify the costs. Since you have done your research then pick the program that meets the criteria for you. IELTS helps, and you have to ask the school if they will exempt you. Most don’t. Are you single?
Thank you for your kind response.
Yes I am single. I am purposefully looking for shorter courses because masters programs are relatively longer and very expensive and not really affordable without scholarships. I have tried for a US Scholarship an year ago and I wasn't selected. So, now I have looked up for courses where I can learn new things and also are relevant to my field.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your kind response.
Yes I am single. I am purposefully looking for shorter courses because masters programs are relatively longer and very expensive and not really affordable without scholarships. I have tried for a US Scholarship an year ago and I wasn't selected. So, now I have looked up for courses where I can learn new things and also are relevant to my field.
So select a course that will show career progression with higher pay when you return to justify costs. Only you can decide what is best for your career path. Assume you have the funds for a one year program.