+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa after unsuccessful TRV applications and sponsorship

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
I probably already know the answer to this but I was wondering what people think the likelihood of being accepted for a student visa after more than 4 unsuccessful TRV applications in as many months?

I'm thinking they would look at the previous denied applications and think we were trying to circumvent the system.

I am male and I was also wondering what the likelihood of applying for sponsorship of my girlfriend as conjugal. It seems most are same sex applications. I was wondering how the denied TRV applications would affect this and how difficult it would be. I assume marriage is easier to apply for PR sponsorship?

Any confirmation or disagreement with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Extremely unlikely the study permit will be approved - refusal is pretty much guaranteed. CIC isn't stupid. They will see the study permit application as what it truly is - simply an attempt to find another way to get to Canada.

If you can get married - then you don't qualify for the conjugal stream and can expect a refusal.

Yes - getting married and then going the outland spousal sponsorship route is the way to go. Stop applying for visitor and study visas. Four refusals is already pretty bad - and may impact the spousal sponsorship application. Don't add more refusals and make things even worse.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
Extremely unlikely the study permit will be approved - refusal is pretty much guaranteed. CIC isn't stupid. They will see the study permit application as what it truly is - simply an attempt to find another way to get to Canada.

If you can get married - then you don't qualify for the conjugal stream and can expect a refusal.

Yes - getting married and then going the outland spousal sponsorship route is the way to go. Stop applying for visitor and study visas. Four refusals is already pretty bad - and may impact the spousal sponsorship application. Don't add more refusals and make things even worse.
Thanks for your reply. Is it best to get married and wait before applying for sponsorship then and if so how long? Or wait a certain amount of time to get married and then apply? Each time I applied on her behalf for TRV there was new information like a job letter, business license, travel history etc and I was led to believe from the immigration Canada help line that applying multiple times wasn't a problem if the information has changed, but now I understand it seems I was being misled.

Also some of the reasons for refusal the last time were things that weren't mentioned before like purpose of visit when that never changed from the start.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply to sponsor as soon as you get married.

Multiple refusals can harm (delay) a sponsorship application since it can make it look like the applicant is desperate to get to Canada and create concerns the applicant is using the sponsor (marriage of convenience) as a way of getting to Canada.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
You can apply to sponsor as soon as you get married.

Multiple refusals can harm (delay) a sponsorship application since it can make it look like the applicant is desperate to get to Canada and create concerns the applicant is using the sponsor (marriage of convenience) as a way of getting to Canada.
I know you CAN, but I was just wondering how that would appear to them. So, you think it would be okay but might delay? It's 12 months approximately for PR sponsorship, so do you think it would take longer then because of the previous TRV failures? I obviously applied a lot trying to get her here sooner but maybe they see that as desperate and a sign of possible deception? I see the positive that I care for her and don't want to be living in a different country. That's one reason I didn't try for sponsorship so far, 12 months seems like such a long time to be living in different countries to someone you're married to.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know you CAN, but I was just wondering how that would appear to them. So, you think it would be okay but might delay? It's 12 months approximately for PR sponsorship, so do you think it would take longer then because of the previous TRV failures? I obviously applied a lot trying to get her here sooner but maybe they see that as desperate and a sign of possible deception? I see the positive that I care for her and don't want to be living in a different country. That's one reason I didn't try for sponsorship so far, 12 months seems like such a long time to be living in different countries to someone you're married to.
Four refusals either won't impact the application at all or will impact it negatively. If impact is negative, CIC will request an interview to assess if the relationship is genuine on her side which will prolong the processing time for the application. Yes - as I explained earlier, multiple applications makes it seem like the applicant (that's your future spouse) is desperate to come to Canada and may be marrying you simply to get to Canada. CIC won't see it as a positive. They either won't care - or will regard it negatively.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
Four refusals either won't impact the application at all or will impact it negatively. If impact is negative, CIC will request an interview to assess if the relationship is genuine on her side which will prolong the processing time for the application. Yes - as I explained earlier, multiple applications makes it seem like the applicant (that's your future spouse) is desperate to come to Canada and may be marrying you simply to get to Canada. CIC won't see it as a positive. They either won't care - or will regard it negatively.
Okay, thanks again for the advice and information. I wish I had found this forum earlier, it would have saved some time and heartache.

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
I know will impact it negatively. I'm in Canada on a study permit. Mostly because I'm currently a student and am working towards graduating. But this was also a way to live with my boyfriend (we did OUTLAND common-law), fulfil common law requirements, and also truly test if we could do this. I love Canada, and I'd love to stay here, but if it weren't for him.. I don't think I would have ever moved here. Which I don't know if it sounds bad, but I feel like it's true. So we were afraid that since I entered Canada for the first time to visit him. Then five months later applied for a study visa. Then a year later applied for PR. The lawyer said it was more than likely fine, but even still we ran the risk of looking like a "relationship of convenience". More so if we had gotten married right away and applied.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I know will impact it negatively. I'm in Canada on a study permit. Mostly because I'm currently a student and am working towards graduating. But this was also a way to live with my boyfriend (we did OUTLAND common-law), fulfil common law requirements, and also truly test if we could do this. I love Canada, and I'd love to stay here, but if it weren't for him.. I don't think I would have ever moved here. Which I don't know if it sounds bad, but I feel like it's true. So we were afraid that since I entered Canada for the first time to visit him. Then five months later applied for a study visa. Then a year later applied for PR. The lawyer said it was more than likely fine, but even still we ran the risk of looking like a "relationship of convenience". More so if we had gotten married right away and applied.
You are American, so it is a far different situation than OP. You would never be seen as a "Relationship of Convenience".

Reactions: scylla