+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Step Relatives for Adaptability Points

estinnis

Jul 17, 2013
Many years ago my grandfather left my country and his wife (my grandmother) here, and then remarried a Canadian woman (in Canada) and had 3 kids in Toronto (now all in their 30s). Unfortunately my grandfather died a few years ago leaving his family behind. I guess that would make them my step-grandmother and step-uncle and aunts. I'm very close to them, and I visit them regularly. Would they be considered my relatives for the 5 Adaptability points?

Thank you

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
estinnis said:
Many years ago my grandfather left my country and his wife (my grandmother) here, and then remarried a Canadian woman (in Canada) and had 3 kids in Toronto (now all in their 30s). Unfortunately my grandfather died a few years ago leaving his family behind. I guess that would make them my step-grandmother and step-uncle and aunts. I'm very close to them, and I visit them regularly. Would they be considered my relatives for the 5 Adaptability points?

Thank you
I think if you can prove that your grandfather and your uncles' and aunts' father is the same, then you can get the points. Seniors may correct/confirm my opinion.

estinnis

Jul 17, 2013
This is what I was thinking too. Even though he has already passed away, we share the same grandfather.... Same blood. Would that not count? If anyone else confirm this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
Hmm tricky one :) The relatives in question would be half-brothers / half-sisters of your parents. Effectively half-aunts and half-uncles.

This is a very grey area. To be fair, the exact wording MIGHT seem to indicate they would be eligible since it say "child of a grandparent", which they certainly are, but then again in brackets it says (aunt or uncle) which they are not, they are half-aunts, half-uncles.

Please note however you must be able to prove via birth certificates etc that this man was your grandfather, also prove by birth certificates that his children are his children (hence proving these are related to you), and finally you must prove that these children are Canadian citizens or permanent residents and are still living in Canada.

Sharing the same surname will not be sufficient proof.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/factor-adaptability.asp

Relatives in Canada
You, or, if it applies, your spouse or common-law partner, have a relative, either a

parent,
grandparent,
child,
grandchild,
child of a parent (sibling),
child of a grandparent (aunt or uncle), or
grandchild of a parent (niece or nephew), who is
living in Canada
18 years or older and
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.