+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

State Police Certificate

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Hi All Experience/Senior Members:

Inland PR application kit, Is there any requirement for State Police Certificate apart from FBI Security Clearance if you have lived in the US?

Why is CIC requesting for this at the tail end of the application process. Is this another way of prolonging the processing time?

This requirement was not part of the Inland application kits.

Please let me know if 'am wrong.

POLICAP

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
State Certificates are not a required document for either inland or outland. However CIC will sometimes request them later as part of the applicant review process.

My husband and I actually chose to include his State Certs with our original application to avoid any potential delays later. However the vast majority of people don't do this.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
POLICAP said:
Hi All Experience/Senior Members:

Inland PR application kit, Is there any requirement for State Police Certificate apart from FBI Security Clearance if you have lived in the US?

Why is CIC requesting for this at the tail end of the application process. Is this another way of prolonging the processing time?

This requirement was not part of the Inland application kits.

Please let me know if 'am wrong.

POLICAP
The state police certificates are requested when CIC needs more information to take a decision (eg., someone with the same name/DOB has a record and CIC needs additional information to assess whether it is the applicant). That's why the requirements for US police certificates state:

"Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

Yes, Applicants should provide a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) certificate with fingerprints. State certificates may also be requested. The Visa Office will advise you if state certificates are required in your case."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp