+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting life in Canada

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Starting life in Canada easy or night mare!!!

canuck_in_uk said:
Canada doesn't require non-residents to file taxes.
Unless they owe Canadian taxes such as Canadian income properties.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, those non-residents in certain situations with Canadian income must file. I was trying to not get into any of the technical details and just responding to the poster who stated a non-resident must file declaring their world income

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014

Rossei said:
Yes, you can. But you have to file taxes on your world income.
The money earned worldwide other than a country in which you are considered a resident and Canada is having tax treaty, would be taxable if you become resident of Canada for income tax purposes by either establishing significant residential ties in Canada or have lived in Canada for 183 days or more in a Tax year (Jan 1 to Dec 31).

Significant residential ties to Canada include:

a home in Canada;
a spouse or common-law partner in Canada; and
dependants in Canada;

If you are a non resident for income tax purposes then you pay tax on income you receive from sources in Canada.

ADUFE

Jun 28, 2009
I am re-posting a comment from another website in response to the statistics you quoted because I think it is sooo apt......

"It takes a traveled ex pat to see that Canadians swallow a lot of their own propaganda without applying a critical eye, or at least the same critical eye they apply to Americans who stumble north. Ask an American, German, or Japanese why their country is the greatest nation on earth and they'll make references to contributions to industry/science/history/culture. Ask a Canadian and he'll point to a UN survey (or in this case surveys/rankings from supposedly reputable organizations.)

Rossei said:
U r welcome.
I actually went through each individual ranking site and verified against wikipedia source. For you, I made the following comparison between Australia and Canada based on the same criteria. Hope it's useful.
AustraliaCanada
State of World Liberty Index (2013)46
Human Development Index (2013)211
Ease of Doing Business (2013)1119
Worldwide Quality-of-Life Index (2005)613
Better Life Index (2013)13
Environmental Performance Index (2014)324
Press Freedom Index (2013)2620
Corruption Perceptions Index (2013)99
Global Peace Index (2013)168
Democracy Index (2012)68
Global Competitiveness Report (2013-14)2114

next2015

Nov 18, 2014

FIYAZALI said:
Hi,
My designation is Sales & Application Engineer – Industrial Pumps. In KSA
When I am applying for similar post of mine in Canada for related pump manufacturers like flow serve and KSB, it's not mention to have any such Licences. But in this Forum I have seen people saying Licences is required as Engineering is regulated work in Canada.
As mention the designation is Application sales engineer on JOB CANADA web site. Exactly my current designation. Its mention “not required”

On Credentials
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
Not required
So if I need to apply for such jobs in the future, does it mean that I do not require and Licences.
Also if possible may I ask some more questions...
• After getting the Canadian passport, can we travel and work in rest of the world if in case I do not find any suitable job, as we cannot work entire life as shop keeper, driver or etc.
• Can we travel to US after getting the PR card; actually I want to visit US after 6-8 months after landing in Canada.
• Will I be able to get house on mortgage soon after getting the PR card? Or I need to wait until my credit history is good.
• If I decide to settle down in Calgary will 2000$ be sufficient for family of 4, 2 adults and 2 infants aged under 2 years.
• Can I find survival jobs quickly?
• Will health insurance from the government cover free medicines also?
• Will I get money for my kids is it really true, if yes how much one child – 2years & another child – 4 months.
• Is discrimination common on roads?

Thanks
Mohammed.
I strongly advise you not to give thought to a mortgage at this point in time. If possible even delete the thought from your mind.
I appreciate the need for all of us to have a home of our own, however, it is critical this decision be made with full view of your actual financial situation. As a finance person, I know it will be a big mistake for you to begin your new life in such debt. I have seen people's lives turn upside down because of a mortgage because of taking on so much debt. I always advise people go slow on that decision. Getting your own house may be the right thing to do but may not be the wise thing to do. Take your time, settle down, get your self in order then evaluate...

Go slow on mortgages, be careful with debt.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
AAL1984 said:
Australia sucks, wouldn't rely too much on those rankings, these same idiotic rankings put a dump like Vancouver as the highest quality of life city.

Australia is even worse than Canada, limited population, out of control costs for basic items, far lower product goods and services selection when compared to North America, and it's bloody isolated. However one of the worst things about Australia are all the nasty creepy bugs, not rare to see giant dinner plate sized huntsman spiders in your house and car. All kinds if ugly disgusting spiders there.

Also you'll find White Aussies to be some of the most ignorant racist and retarded people on the planet. If you are a colored immigrant stay away from Australia.
For once you and I agree on something.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Another funny rating: Canada ranks 5th happy place to visit according to 3rd World Happiness Report, released by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network for the UN.

Here is top 10 (all Scandinavian countries, Australasia, top European countries and CANADA :p):

1. Switzerland
2. Iceland
3. Denmark
4. Norway
5. Canada
6. Finland
7. Netherlands
8. Norway
9. New Zealand
10. Australia

Source: CNN Travel