+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

jieu2969

Apr 2, 2013
Dear All,

I have received my LOI (Letter of Introduction) from the embassy and hopefully should be receiving my passport next week.
This was for my study permit.

Now I want to apply for my spouse OWP. We are currently in India and will be applying from here in India.

I would like to have your opinion and experiences on this. I was suggested by one of the current students to go ahead and apply for OWP, as he was confident that each case was different from another. I am not sure of the option

1. whether to apply for TRV alone and than convert it onto OWP once I am in Canada OR to
2 apply for OWP for my spouse directly

Pls try to reply with reasons as to why one option is better than the other.
Are there any constraints that after getting my Study permit I cannot apply for my spouse (TRV or OWP ) for a certain amount of time.

Regards
Ujjal

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
90% TRV gets rejected if applied separately - your options are :

come to canada - finish 1 semester - pay 2nd semester fees - make sure u get 2.8-3 gpa
invite your wife on trv
owp is in canada processing with some exceptions

good luck

manojreddy

Jun 10, 2013
HI... EVERYBODY...

MY NAME IS MANOJ...I AM FROM INDIA.. AS I HAVE BEEN WORKING IN CANADA SINCE "14/AUG/2012" IN THE POSITION OF "COOK" ( NOC : 6242), I PLANNED TO LIVE WITH MY SPOUSE AND MY CHILD UNTIL MY WORK PERMIT EXPIRED. AND I ALSO CAME TO KNOW THAT MY WIFE COULD BE ELIGIBLE TO GET AN OPEN WORK PERMIT .

IN THIS CASE, I SUGGESTED HER TO DROP AN APPLICATION TO "CANADIAN HIGH COMMISSION", DELHI.. AND SHE APPLIED FOR IT ON "08/APR/2013" ALONG WITH MY ONLY CHILD'S "VISITING VISA" WHO IS 2 YEARS OLD..

THE PROBLEM IS,
1. I DID NOT GET ANY REPLY FROM CONSULATE REGARDING MEDICALS ETC... SO I AM GETTING TENSED NOW AND IT IS GETTING MORE THAN 2 MONTHS.. CAN ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN ME HOW MANY DAYS IT TAKES...
2. AND ALSO I'VE ATTACHED HER JOB OFFER LETTER IN THE SAME COMPANY WHERE I WORK... IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH THAT,,
3. I HEARD THAT... NOW A DAYS CONSULATE IS NOT SENDING ANY LETTERS THROUGH POST OR COURIER.. AND IT IS COMMUNICATING ONLY THROUGH THE MAILS.. IS IT RIGHT???????

PLEASE CLARIFY MY DOUBTS...

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
Manoj,

OWP is ideally and In-Canada Processing and 90% not granted from NDVO with some exceptions - wil still hope all goes good with good

Paper applications at NDVO is 2 months processing

Currently due to Diplomatic Strike - its takes longer - no ETA yet

No harm in attaching your WORK LETTER

avm

Mar 2, 2013
Category........
Other
Job Offer........
Yes
File Transfer...
N/A
Hi to all,

any Feb, March OWP-S applicants please share your timeline to speculate what is happening in NDVO.

Mytime line:

OWP-S applied to NDVO on March 19th,2013

Medicals: Awaiting

Thanks
AVM

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
Hi everyone,

Please suggest me on below topic.

As my wife is in canada for last 5 months on study permit and i also want to accompany her in canada .

Please guys suggest which visa i should apply....

Regards
Raj

avm

Mar 2, 2013
Category........
Other
Job Offer........
Yes
File Transfer...
N/A
Rajan Grover said:
Hi everyone,

Please suggest me on below topic.

As my wife is in canada for last 5 months on study permit and i also want to accompany her in canada .

Please guys suggest which visa i should apply....

Regards
Raj
Hi Raj,

as per my view OWP is best for you, bcz success rate in TRV is very low.

but processing time for OWP is too long (around 3-4 months)

by
avm

XYZSAN

Star Member
May 5, 2012
priyum521 said:
you can apply open work permit to your wife at the time of you apply to work permit.

with respect to documents, the documents are same to work permit and open work permit.
Hi priyum,

Is it possible to apply open work permit (for wife who is in India) along with work permit of my husband in Canada
If yes, please let me know the necessary docs to submit.

Please provide ur emailid..its very urgent

vivmehta

Jan 8, 2013
terki said:
Manoj,

OWP is ideally and In-Canada Processing and 90% not granted from NDVO with some exceptions - wil still hope all goes good with good

Paper applications at NDVO is 2 months processing

Currently due to Diplomatic Strike - its takes longer - no ETA yet

No harm in attaching your WORK LETTER
Dear Manoj,

I have have submitted my open work permit application to New delhi visa office as on 16th April 2013.( as my wife is having PGWP in Canada.and she is working in NOC category)

I am also waiting for my results...IT has almost two months still my file shows application under process.
Even they did not asked for medical,further documents etc....
Please share your experience.

Also tell me your contact details so i can contact you.

Please revert.

vivmehta

Jan 8, 2013
jieu2969 said:
Dear All,

I have received my LOI (Letter of Introduction) from the embassy and hopefully should be receiving my passport next week.
This was for my study permit.

Now I want to apply for my spouse OWP. We are currently in India and will be applying from here in India.

I would like to have your opinion and experiences on this. I was suggested by one of the current students to go ahead and apply for OWP, as he was confident that each case was different from another. I am not sure of the option

1. whether to apply for TRV alone and than convert it onto OWP once I am in Canada OR to
2 apply for OWP for my spouse directly

Pls try to reply with reasons as to why one option is better than the other.
Are there any constraints that after getting my Study permit I cannot apply for my spouse (TRV or OWP ) for a certain amount of time.

Regards
Ujjal
Dear Manoj,

I have submitted my Open work permit as on 15th april 2013 to NDVO as my wife is having PGWP in Canada.and she is working in noc category from last one year.

It has almost two months still my file shows application under process....Can you tell me the processing time for the open work permit and pls give me your contact details i would like to contact u.

Please revert.

Thank you.

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
Hi Guys,

Please help me out with the situation :----

As wife is in canada for last 5 months on study permit and i am planning to apply for an open work permit from india , could you please suggest me what are the documents required in order to apply OWP.

1:- What are the chances to get the open work permit? means what is the success rate of it????
2:-What is the processing time for it as i heard there is diplomatic strike going on. should i apply the file now or later.
3:-Has anyone got the open work permit yet in the same sitution...????

Suggest me something experienced

Regards
Raj

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
i Guys,

Please help me out with the situation :----

As my wife is in canada for last 5 months on study permit and i am planning to apply for an open work permit from india , could you please suggest me what are the documents required in order to apply OWP.

1:- What are the chances to get the open work permit? means what is the success rate of it?
2:-What is the processing time for it as i heard there is diplomatic strike going on. should i apply the file now or later.
3:-Has anyone got the open work permit yet in the same sitution...?

Suggest me something experienced

Regards
Raj

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
avm said:
Hi Raj,

as per my view OWP is best for you, bcz success rate in TRV is very low.

but processing time for OWP is too long (around 3-4 months)

by
avm
Will i need the explanation letter from my wife in order to apply the file or not..please suggest.

Regards
Raj

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
Rajan,

owp is rarely approved - if people are getting it - due to 2 reasons:

1. spouse occupation benefits economy in canada and hence vo would approve it
2. ties are very strong to home country and vo is satisfied -

you may want to consider below:

ideally trv success rate is 10-15% out of every 100 so u could still take a chance to apply with strong ties and see for urself if it gets through- if u would see a rejection then no harm in it. you would have to wait till ur wife completes 1 semester with good academic record - 2.8-3 gpa and regular attendance at school, invite you therafter

following u may want to add along with existing docs - to trv

confirmed return ticket -not just itinerary
bonded employment letter from ur current company
oath from lawyer notarized assuring ur return to canada upon owp expiry
lease docs of house
house - new or used car loan
committment on some property signing stuff - stating why u want to return to home Country
enrolment to competitive exams indicating ur intentions are not to stay back in canada

REMEMBER OWP IS IN CANADA PROCESSING AND WITH LIMITED EXCEPTIONS
IF U MAY NEED FURTHER HELP - SEND ME PM