+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit for May 2024 intake

aditipithva

Feb 19, 2024
Hello All,

I have received my study visa for May 2024 intake and I am about to travel in April. So can I apply for SOWP before I land in Canada?

If yes, how can I make my spouse file stronger? i.e. which documents we can show in our file? What should we write in letter?

Please reply ASAP as we are too close to the deadline.

Thank you in Advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

I have received my study visa for May 2024 intake and I am about to travel in April. So can I apply for SOWP before I land in Canada?

If yes, how can I make my spouse file stronger? i.e. which documents we can show in our file? What should we write in letter?

Please reply ASAP as we are too close to the deadline.

Thank you in Advance.
Are you doing a masters or PhD? If may not your spouse no longer qualifies for an SOWP. We have no idea when SOWP will stop or have stopped being considered. You can certainly try to apply but SOWP may already not be an option. Would make plans knowing that SOWP may no longer be a possibility.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have opted for post graduation. But they did not mention when this rule is going to be impose.
IRCC said within weeks and that was a month ago. Get your spouse’s application in ASAP. Show that you meet the new study permit funding requirements for 2 people given the expense of living in Canada. Your spouse may get lucky.

Reactions: SasaBasi

aditipithva

Feb 19, 2024
IRCC said within weeks and that was a month ago. Get your spouse’s application in ASAP. Show that you meet the new study permit funding requirements for 2 people given the expense of living in Canada. Your spouse may get lucky.
Thank you for your advice.Do you have any recommendations which help us to to make our file stronger?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your advice.Do you have any recommendations which help us to to make our file stronger?
How long have you been married?

Show $26K CDN to meet study permit proof of fund requirements since you didn’t apply together. Show ties to return - properties, investments etc.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you think anything else we can show in our file?
By chance if my spouse visa gets rejected then can I apply for SOWP once I receive my work permit after completing study?
Ties to return are the key ones - properties, investments etc. Spouse has no family ties. Spouse may be eligible for permit when you get PGWP. As of yet, government has not changed those rules.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you think anything else we can show in our file?
By chance if my spouse visa gets rejected then can I apply for SOWP once I receive my work permit after completing study?
Currently would assume there is a strong chance that SOWP will be denied and would plan accordingly. If not being able to join spouse during their studies is a deal breaker then I would only start studying after you know if you have been approved for SOWP or not. There has been a lot of publicity around postings for spouses with approved study permits for example seeking a partner who can secure them SOWP so there will have been a lot of pressure to cancel SOWPs as soon as possible since many consultants and lawyers have been trying to get their clients approved before new rules came into place. In terms of SOWP during PGWP there is a good chance that this will continue but SOWP has never been guaranteed. It has always been more challenging to secure SOWP for new marriages or for relationships where there has been minimal in person relationship history because some of these relationships were not genuine marriages. If people have had more longterm relationships/marriages where chances of immigration fraud are very low they are likely to be able to continue getting SOWP if employed during PGWP.

aditipithva

Feb 19, 2024
Currently would assume there is a strong chance that SOWP will be denied and would plan accordingly. If not being able to join spouse during their studies is a deal breaker then I would only start studying after you know if you have been approved for SOWP or not. There has been a lot of publicity around postings for spouses with approved study permits for example seeking a partner who can secure them SOWP so there will have been a lot of pressure to cancel SOWPs as soon as possible since many consultants and lawyers have been trying to get their clients approved before new rules came into place. In terms of SOWP during PGWP there is a good chance that this will continue but SOWP has never been guaranteed. It has always been more challenging to secure SOWP for new marriages or for relationships where there has been minimal in person relationship history because some of these relationships were not genuine marriages. If people have had more longterm relationships/marriages where chances of immigration fraud are very low they are likely to be able to continue getting SOWP if employed during PGWP.
Got it. Thank you for such detailed clarification.

aditipithva

Feb 19, 2024
Ties to return are the key ones - properties, investments etc. Spouse has no family ties. Spouse may be eligible for permit when you get PGWP. As of yet, government has not changed those rules.
Okay. Understood. Thank you for you prompt response.