+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse didn't declare change of status in the Boarder when she landed as PR!

JazAndrei

Feb 25, 2017
Need Help guys. We got married January 19,2017.. My spouse received her COPR December 2016. She crossed the boarder to land as PR thru Express Entry program January 26,2017... The problem is she didn't declare the change of status that she got married before she landed, and so we are really facing a serious matter. She consumed almost 3hrs in the boarder and almost 2.5 hrs drive , tired,exhausted and nervous, all mixed emotions and so when it's her turn to present all the documents to the officer she missed declaring me as an additional dependent, because there are 3 officers who assisted her and to the point that she's already confused of what she is doing. To make the story short she missed the important part, and during that time we still doesn't have the copy of our marriage certificate. The question is:

Can she still sponsor me?
If not, can we make an appeal later on and include a letter of explanation along with our application?
What do you think is the best way to solve this problem? Is there any way?
Please Advise. Thank you!! :

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
JazAndrei said:
If not, can we make an appeal later on and include a letter of explanation along with our application?
No, she can never sponsor you now. You were supposed to have full medical exam and police checks done to be declared as a spouse/dependent in her app. Appeals will not help now. She has actually committed misrepresentation by landing as single when she was in fact married. As soon as you got married, her COPR issued as single was no longer valid and should have been immediately returned to the visa office for updating to add you.

Only 2 ways for you to now get PR status:
1. Apply independently through one of the economic streams
2. Your wife must renounce her own PR status, and start over from the very beginning but this time including you in her app.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
JazAndrei said:
No.
Well, you can do that. But you should only do it if you think it's going to be a fun experience, because no, no appeal will make any difference.
You can apply for PR yourself, or your spouse can surrender her PR and start from scratch including you.

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
29-07-2016, Received 02-08-2016. Out of status app.
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 23-08-2016. AOR2 30-11-2016
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
Should've landed days earlier or married days later.
Huge mistake.

Bureaucracy at its best.

Consider doing some university studies in Canada if you don't have sufficient points to apply to immigrate now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
JazAndrei said:
She consumed almost 3hrs in the boarder and almost 2.5 hrs drive , tired,exhausted and nervous, all mixed emotions and so when it's her turn to present all the documents to the officer she missed declaring me as an additional dependent, because there are 3 officers who assisted her and to the point that she's already confused of what she is doing. To make the story short she missed the important part, and during that time we still doesn't have the copy of our marriage certificate. The question is:

From your previous post, you have been living together since 2015, so you were already common-law anyways. She actually needed to declare you in her PR app as soon as you hit one year of cohabitation and became common-law in 2016.

As Rob said, either you qualify independently for PR or your partner renounces and reapplies with you included.

JazAndrei

Feb 25, 2017
Bcboundboy said:
No.
Well, you can do that. But you should only do it if you think it's going to be a fun experience, because no, no appeal will make any difference.
You can apply for PR yourself, or your spouse can surrender her PR and start from scratch including you.
If she renounces her PR can she still use her previous job offer or that's already void? Do you have idea with this?

JazAndrei

Feb 25, 2017
If she will renounce her PR that does mean she can't work until we got our PR ? Can she not use her previous job offer ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
JazAndrei said:
If she will renounce her PR that does mean she can't work until we got our PR ? Can she not use her previous job offer ?
If she renounces her PR status, she will not be able to work. She should still be able to use the previous job offer as long as the employer is still willing.

JyoVishal

Jan 25, 2022
Need Help guys. We got married January 19,2017.. My spouse received her COPR December 2016. She crossed the boarder to land as PR thru Express Entry program January 26,2017... The problem is she didn't declare the change of status that she got married before she landed, and so we are really facing a serious matter. She consumed almost 3hrs in the boarder and almost 2.5 hrs drive , tired,exhausted and nervous, all mixed emotions and so when it's her turn to present all the documents to the officer she missed declaring me as an additional dependent, because there are 3 officers who assisted her and to the point that she's already confused of what she is doing. To make the story short she missed the important part, and during that time we still doesn't have the copy of our marriage certificate. The question is:

Hi, what happened finally? I am in a similar situation. I didn’t declare my marriage while landing. Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, what happened finally? I am in a similar situation. I didn’t declare my marriage while landing. Please help.
What kind of immigration stream did you migrate through? Economic like Express Entry?

Did you not mention your spouse on the application at all? Or was your spouse listed as non-accompanying and when through the medical and PCC process. I'm assuming not listed at all but please confirm.

JyoVishal

Jan 25, 2022
Hello,
I got my PR through CEC inland.
Yes not listed at all.
I got married almost towards the end of PR process.
I got married before landing and after submitting my PR application.
Submitted my PR application CEC inland on Nov 2020.
got married June 19th 2021.
came to canada on July 5th 2021. And confirmed soft landing on PR confirmation portal.
i did send a webform to add my wife in June itself. They asked for documents. Since I didn’t have any certificates like marriage, PCC and birth certificate I went ahead and did soft landing without adding those documents.

JyoVishal

Jan 25, 2022
Hello,
Yes not listed at all.
came to canada on July 5th 2021. And confirmed soft landing on PR confirmation portal.
i did send a webform to add my wife in June itself. They asked for documents. Since I didn’t have any certificates like marriage, PCC and birth certificate I went ahead and did soft landing without adding those documents.
Later when the time came to sponsor her realised I made a mistake.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
Yes not listed at all.
You shouldn't have soft landed before adding your wife to your application and providing all of the documents IRCC requested.

Unfortunately that means you can never sponsor your spouse for PR.

Your spouse will need to qualify for PR independently through an economic immigration program like Express Entry, PNP, etc. Spousal sponsorship is not possible.