Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
vallabha147 said:
Hi All,

I am a PR holder and full time Graduate student in Canada. I have got OSAP (Ontario Student assistance program).

I am planning to put spousal file for my wife who is in India.

I have following worries -
- I don't have any job and I have a student loan, so will I be eligible to file for my wife?
- Do I need to drop studies and apply for full time job or part time job(if I get one) can suffice their requirements?

Please advise me on this.
1) Yes, you should be able to sponsor your wife. OSAP isn't welfare.

2) No, there isn't a minimum income requirement for sponsoring a spouse. However, you should be prepared to explain to CIC how you two plan on supporting yourselves after she gets PR.

My wife is a student, receiving WCB benefits. No problems so far.

vallabha147

May 24, 2014
London, ON
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
07-11-2016
AOR Received.
25-11-2016, AOR 2 - 13th December 2016
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
06-12-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
23-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Yes to submit passport
LANDED..........
Already landed on Visiting Visa
Omegabyte said:
1) Yes, you should be able to sponsor your wife. OSAP isn't welfare.

2) No, there isn't a minimum income requirement for sponsoring a spouse. However, you should be prepared to explain to CIC how you two plan on supporting yourselves after she gets PR.

My wife is a student, receiving WCB benefits. No problems so far.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, I appreciate a lot.

When you say 'Explain to CIC' does that mean I can put one paper on which I can write about our plans?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
vallabha147 said:
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, I appreciate a lot.

When you say 'Explain to CIC' does that mean I can put one paper on which I can write about our plans?
Yes, you need to prove to CIC that you will not require welfare. If you or your spouse have savings, then you could show that. If you have a history of working, or have job opportunities once you are finished your education, you could could show those. If your spouse has employable skills, that would also be good to show.
Make a plan. Explain where you will live, how you will support yourselves. If you have family that will give you a place to live, then include some proof of that.

satbsi

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi / Warsraw WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2014
Nomination.....
14-02-2015
AOR Received.
26-03-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Request
27-05-2015
Med's Done....
30-05-2015, Uploaded 03-06-2015, TLU 10-06-2015
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Going to Canada on study visa for one year.Want to get married in home country with a Canadian PR around next year.What kinda spouse visa(Inland or Outland) should i be applying for after marriage?What kind of visa is advisable ? INLAND or OUTLAND

Hardcookie

Jan 30, 2016
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
NRB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
Doc's Request.
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
05-04-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
13-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2016
LANDED..........
09-11-2016
satbsi said:
Going to Canada on study visa for one year.Want to get married in home country with a Canadian PR around next year.What kinda spouse visa(Inland or Outland) should i be applying for after marriage?What kind of visa is advisable ? INLAND or OUTLAND
Outland is faster except Ottawa has been so fast of late, although i think to American citizens.

luissuarez

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Does the sponsor have to do a medical examination in a spousal application? We also have a 2 month old daughter who is a Canadian citizen? Does she need too?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
luissuarez said:
Does the sponsor have to do a medical examination in a spousal application? We also have a 2 month old daughter who is a Canadian citizen? Does she need too?
No - neither the sponsor nor your daughter need to take the medical.

luissuarez

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
scylla said:
No - neither the sponsor nor your daughter need to take the medical.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I also need to provide police certificates and clearances from US. my sponsor and I live in Seattle. I found a link from the forms that asks me to fill out a form and send it to the FBI. I am not sure how the process is. Do you have any information?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luissuarez said:
Thanks for the prompt reply. I also need to provide police certificates and clearances from US. my sponsor and I live in Seattle. I found a link from the forms that asks me to fill out a form and send it to the FBI. I am not sure how the process is. Do you have any information?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

If you are a U.S. citizen, or Permanent Resident, you can use one of the FBI approved 3rd party Channelers...which will save you a lot of time!

luissuarez

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Ponga said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

If you are a U.S. citizen, or Permanent Resident, you can use one of the FBI approved 3rd party Channelers...which will save you a lot of time!
I am not. I am a student in the US. How can I get a police certificate and check (PCC)? I found this page online and I wonder if it can work. Any thoughts?

http://www.seattle.gov/seattle-police-department/records-request-center/front-counter-services

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luissuarez said:
I am not. I am a student in the US. How can I get a police certificate and check (PCC)? I found this page online and I wonder if it can work. Any thoughts?

http://www.seattle.gov/seattle-police-department/records-request-center/front-counter-services
No, that's not what CIC wants. They want the FBI level PCC, not State level.

On the link that I provided, just follow the instructions for a person living in The U.S. that it NOT a citizen of The U.S.

You will need to have your fingerprints taken in Seattle, then send the fingerprint card, along with request form and payment ($18 I believe) to The FBI in West Virginia. They will mail you your IHSR letter (PCC) which you will then send to CIC. It takes several weeks (was ~ 14 weeks fairly recently), which is why those that are eligible to use a Channeler usually do (takes ~ 10 days).

luissuarez

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Got it. So I obtain my fingerprints from the place mentioned in my link and send the fingerprints card along with the form that I need to fill out to FBI in West Virginia, right?

My understanding is that the Channeler is only for US citizens and permanent residents of US, right? Also, where can I find the credit card form?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luissuarez said:
Got it. So I obtain my fingerprints from the place mentioned in my link and send the fingerprints card along with the form that I need to fill out to FBI in West Virginia, right?

My understanding is that the Channeler is only for US citizens and permanent residents of US, right? Also, where can I find the credit card form?
Correct.

You'll find everything you need on the FBI website.

It's not a bad idea to have two complete sets of prints taken, since it's probably only ~$10 more (if you find a credible fingerprinting company). This way, if one (or more) of the prints on the first FD-258 card are `bad' the FBI technician will have a backup to try. Since charging your credit card is the first step when they start to process your prints, you won't know if the prints are legible or not until you either receive your IHSR letter in the mail, or you are notified that your prints could not be used.

IMHO, it's a nominal added expense that's well worth it.

Lucky88

Sep 13, 2016
My husband is Canadian and we have submitted our inland spousal sponsorship application with my 2 dependent children included.
Our visitor visa will be expiring soon...i intend to apply for an open work permit...
My children are currently studying in public school...should I apply for a visa extension for them while we wait for news regarding my application? or are they considered in legal status because we already submitted our application?

any help, advise or suggestions will be appreciated. thank you!

neetwo80

Mar 31, 2016
Italy
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-2016
AOR Received.
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
08-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2016
Hey guys. I already asked in the April forum but I thought I'd ask here as well. For Italians, we usually need an ETA number to fly to America or Canada. Do we need the ETA number when landing? My husband is Italian and doesn't have it. Please let me know in either forum. I appreciate it. I looked at the website but couldn't find the answer to my question. Thank you.

Ciao!