+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

jjjules

Mar 2, 2016
Hi there,
I started a topic on this issue, but I am hoping to maybe find help in this Thread as well:

This forum has been a great help over the past few months in the preparation for our sponsorship application (my Canadian husband sponsoring me), and we finally got everything organized (the whole package, plus OWP application)! The package arrived in Mississauga on Feb 20th (2016). However, one thing we stumbled upon was that we might have misunderstood the "N/A"-issue on a few (but certainly not all) parts of the application package. :(

Now, we are waiting to hear back from CIC but soon my six months TR (visa-excempt visitor, German citizen) are running out (March 9th). The question is: While we applied and everything got in within my current status, CIC my reject our initial application due to the N/A-issue.

Will in this case my application for OWP still allow for implied status, or should I apply for extension of my TR just in case so I won't lose status here in Canada?

It is a bit tricky and we are hoping that the way we filled the forms out should still allow for them to process our application, but with the deadline coming up we are trying to strategize what our best steps would be in case they return the paperwork.

Any help would be much appreciated!

tmon111

Feb 6, 2016
Aquakitty said:
I assume you passed the interview, since they asked for medical. If you pass your medical, you will get a PPR. Nothing you can do but wait patiently :)
Do you know how long it usually takes to ask for PPR after medical. :)

jrseee

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
Hello Everyone:
I'm a Canadian citizen. We (me and my wife, an international student) currently live in BC, but I'm thinking to mention Montreal as a possible destination on her in-land sponsorship application. I understand that we will have to obtain a CSQ in the process. To this end, I'll appreciate if you can address the following questions. Thanks in advance :)
1. How long it might take to get a CSQ from Quebec Immigration?
2. Can she (or us?) claim Quebec residency once she gets CSQ?
3. What are the possible benefits of landing in Quebec e.g., studies/scholarships?
4. Is it allowed to land in another province, in case we change our mind later on?

jrseee

Cuddlypot

Mar 3, 2016
My husband got a letter that he is ineligible to sponsor me as her wife along with our son coz of not declaring at the time before he got his pr. What to do? 2011 when his whole family immigrate to canada for family sponsorship thru his eldest sister living in canada he got his pr as dependant children of his mother as principal applicant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Cuddlypot said:
My husband got a letter that he is ineligible to sponsor me as her wife along with our son coz of not declaring at the time before he got his pr. What to do? 2011 when his whole family immigrate to canada for family sponsorship thru his eldest sister living in canada he got his pr as dependant children of his mother as principal applicant.
Already answered here:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsors-ineligibility-t401325.0.html;msg5023149#msg5023149

Your options are extremely limited. Your sponsorship application was correctly refused. Additionally, your husband obtained his own PR status through misrepresentation. So you have a pretty big mess on your hands.

willyblue

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/04/2016
AOR Received.
14-04-16
File Transfer...
30/06/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
does my partner have to declare that she has a partner when traveling to canada for visit? we are both in uk but she's canaidian and we are applying common law

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
willyblue said:
does my partner have to declare that she has a partner when traveling to canada for visit? we are both in uk but she's canaidian and we are applying common law
She's Canadian? She'll have no problems then, she doesn't have to volunteer any sort of information like that.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
jjjules said:
Hi there,
I started a topic on this issue, but I am hoping to maybe find help in this Thread as well:

This forum has been a great help over the past few months in the preparation for our sponsorship application (my Canadian husband sponsoring me), and we finally got everything organized (the whole package, plus OWP application)! The package arrived in Mississauga on Feb 20th (2016). However, one thing we stumbled upon was that we might have misunderstood the "N/A"-issue on a few (but certainly not all) parts of the application package. :(

Now, we are waiting to hear back from CIC but soon my six months TR (visa-excempt visitor, German citizen) are running out (March 9th). The question is: While we applied and everything got in within my current status, CIC my reject our initial application due to the N/A-issue.

Will in this case my application for OWP still allow for implied status, or should I apply for extension of my TR just in case so I won't lose status here in Canada?

It is a bit tricky and we are hoping that the way we filled the forms out should still allow for them to process our application, but with the deadline coming up we are trying to strategize what our best steps would be in case they return the paperwork.

Any help would be much appreciated!
It'll probably be fine, but to save you a ton of hassle, it's a good idea to apply for the visitor renewal before the 9th if you really want to go through with inland. Otherwise you will be stuck almost 2 years with no status and no work permit if they do send your application back for whatever reason (or at the very least, have to apply for a status restoration).

You can cancel the visitor status renewal if you get your work visa beforehand. But, make sure you really want to apply inland as opposed to outland.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Well, it's getting somewhat close to time for me to renew my visitor status here in Canada. I'm fairly certain of what I have to include with it, but I want to make sure and I didn't think this warranted its own thread.

I'm here visiting my husband (sponsor) in Canada during the PR process. I know I'll need to write a letter explaining this (and proof of a PR application) and have my husband send a letter saying that he will support me during my stay. What should that letter say, exactly? Should he include paystubs to show his income? We could include a bank statement too, but we don't have more than $2,000 in the bank at a time. With his job he can afford having me here, but it's not like we're able to really accumulate savings during this. I'm worried that they might not think this is enough money for my extended stay, even though we've been successfully living on one income for the past few months.

MapleOakLife

Star Member
Feb 13, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
Well, it's getting somewhat close to time for me to renew my visitor status here in Canada. I'm fairly certain of what I have to include with it, but I want to make sure and I didn't think this warranted its own thread.

I'm here visiting my husband (sponsor) in Canada during the PR process. I know I'll need to write a letter explaining this (and proof of a PR application) and have my husband send a letter saying that he will support me during my stay. What should that letter say, exactly? Should he include paystubs to show his income? We could include a bank statement too, but we don't have more than $2,000 in the bank at a time. With his job he can afford having me here, but it's not like we're able to really accumulate savings during this. I'm worried that they might not think this is enough money for my extended stay, even though we've been successfully living on one income for the past few months.
In the letter just explain why you're asking for an extension. That you applied for permanent residency under the family sponsorship on (insert date) and that during this time your husband will be supporting you financially. Put what he does for a job..basic things like that. Don't worry about the money in the bank, it's just to show you have a steady income. The first time I sent in an extension my husband's bank account had literally $5 in it and I was still accepted because I sent 4 months worth of bank statements showing he got money every month and he did indeed have an income. But include a few months of paystubs as well (it doesn't hurt to send in a little extra proof). In the letter also let them know how long you've been staying with your husband and that the entire time he was supporting you on the income he receives.

jjjules

Mar 2, 2016
Aquakitty said:
It'll probably be fine, but to save you a ton of hassle, it's a good idea to apply for the visitor renewal before the 9th if you really want to go through with inland. Otherwise you will be stuck almost 2 years with no status and no work permit if they do send your application back for whatever reason (or at the very least, have to apply for a status restoration).

You can cancel the visitor status renewal if you get your work visa beforehand. But, make sure you really want to apply inland as opposed to outland.
Thanks for your response! This is true, I just gathered all the necessary documents again (luckily they were basically still ready from the OWP application...)

We asked ourselves the inland-/outland question a lot, but after almost eight years of long-distance we are so sick of the back and forth that I am, at the moment, more than happy to stay in one place and with my partner (especially since the OWP program and being able to look for work here sooner rather than later).

MB1986

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2016
AOR Received.
18-03-2016
File Transfer...
23-03-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
15-12-2015
Hi guys
my application received by cic on 18th Feb,2016
I just noticed that i did not attached the updated checklist with my application. :eek:

although there is not a major difference instead of option C printout they are asking last year assessment i already attached the letter explaining why i am not attaching option Cprintout.

i am not sure will my application be sent back ?
i hope not
please help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MB1986 said:
I just noticed that i did not attached the updated checklist with my application. :eek:

although there is not a major difference instead of option C printout they are asking last year assessment i already attached the letter explaining why i am not attaching option Cprintout.

i am not sure will my application be sent back ?
Given that the checklist is not a form requiring a signature, it should be fine.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
MapleOakLife said:
In the letter just explain why you're asking for an extension. That you applied for permanent residency under the family sponsorship on (insert date) and that during this time your husband will be supporting you financially. Put what he does for a job..basic things like that. Don't worry about the money in the bank, it's just to show you have a steady income. The first time I sent in an extension my husband's bank account had literally $5 in it and I was still accepted because I sent 4 months worth of bank statements showing he got money every month and he did indeed have an income. But include a few months of paystubs as well (it doesn't hurt to send in a little extra proof). In the letter also let them know how long you've been staying with your husband and that the entire time he was supporting you on the income he receives.
Thank you ;D That makes me feel less worried.

willyblue

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/04/2016
AOR Received.
14-04-16