Spousal sponsorship

ice_breaker

Jul 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone.. My husband is sponsoring me & my daughter
& he is in QUEBEC.. Can you please tell us what to do & where
to begin.. Do I have to gather first all the documents & have medical
here in our country then send it to him? The moment he recieves the docs.
Is it the time that he will send the application in CIC?. Thank you & help me please..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For sponsorship outside Quebec, you would have to fill out the PR application and send to your husband who fills out the sponsorship application and sends it to CIC in one package.

For Quebec it is a bit different because you also need a certificate of selection from Quebec immigration. You can get more information about that here: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/apply/index.html

Kulilit

Aug 17, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2010
File Transfer...
10-01-2011
Passport Req..
02-02-2011
Hi! I'm on the process of sponsoring my wife but I don't know if she should use her maiden name or married name when filling up the application? we just got married last year, she's in other country. all her documents has my last name already except for her passport that still has her maiden name. it is hard for her to renew her passport abroad for it will take some time for her name to be changed. I'm just a lil bit confuse regarding this one.

rrdiggy76

Star Member
Apr 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2010
File Transfer...
18-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
My wife is still using her maiden name, so that is what we used for the applications. She too is living outside of Canada at present so it would be a real pain to change bank/passport/driving licence details to her (our) married name. She will just do it when we land on completion of my PR application.

The forms do present the opportunity to list other names in use (maiden) etc, so i suggest filling out the forms as per her legal identity at present (the name on her passport) and a cover letter explaining the use of the married name on other documents as it is still a name change 'in progress' as i believe there is no time limit with which to change a name...

leslieteh09

May 14, 2010
hi leon,

my husband requires and has a tourist visa to come to canada and im planning to sponsor him inland. at the point of entry, should he admit that we are planning to do an inland application or would that create a problem in allowing him to enter canada? or should he just say he is just visiting me ? would that hurt our application though?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he says he's coming as a tourist and planning to stay for good, they will probably not let him in. If he says he has come to visit, maybe he will change his mind in a month and decide he wants to stay. Good luck.

she2010

Aug 25, 2010
Hi everyone,
im just new here.......want to ask some question hope someone can help me its simple but make me confused...........form im0008 details of family members there are 3 boxes .........the first box whos name should i write im the applicant is it my name? and i have 2 kids so its on the second and third box. Second question on background form what will i check the principal applicant or the second box that says spouse? thanks in advance.

sgnv

Star Member
Jun 11, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/01/2010
Love_Young said:
About the recommendation for mailing an application to extend and open work permit with inland does not seem right.
Most of the time you either, mail an extension request separately, regular extension request with the application, or an extension application marked for open work permit submitted with the application. Not both.

If you are submitting a regular extension with the application then do that but if you don't want to have to keep extending your stay during the process and have implied status then you only need to send an application for an open work permit included inside the SAME envelope as your PR application and make sure it is received by Vegreville BEFORE your status expires.

Overall this is a very good post and I feel this will benefit alot of people. I just wanted to state some corrections before people think they need to include both a regular extension request and open work permit with their inland application. What I have stated has been verified for years and can be backed up by many other senior members so I believe the information is correct and helpful to those applying inland like myself.

Thank you Leon for your wonderful and helpful post. I see this helping several people for years to come. :)
Love_young:

I got a bit confuse, so is optional to send the OWP application along with the sponsorship paperwork? or it can be sent afterwards, before 1st stage of approval is reached? (or before status/current work permit expired?).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you send the OWP application along with the sponsorship package, it's all tied together and it can save you time in getting the OWP rather than waiting for first stage approval and then applying.

sgnv

Star Member
Jun 11, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/01/2010
Leon said:
If you send the OWP application along with the sponsorship package, it's all tied together and it can save you time in getting the OWP rather than waiting for first stage approval and then applying.
Hi Leon,

the reason I'm asking about sending the OWP along with the sponsoship/PR application is because I didn't know I have to send everything together.

We send the sponsorship/PR application on Jan 5 2010, was received in Vegreville on Jan 8, they started processing it on March 13 (STILL IN PROCESS!!, as it shows in E-CAS), my previous OWP expired July 14, so I send a new application on June 18, requesting an OWP.

In the envelope I sent for OWP I wrote a note asking to link together with my current paperwork (I have a client ID), someone at Vegreville received it but so far everytime I call CIC they are very reluctant to tell me if they got the application and what's the status, always the agents mention to me:

did you send your OWP application with everything at once? and when I said: No, I did not send it in the 1st envelope; they don't clarify if everything should be OK, they just say: You have implied status if you send your application for Work Permit before the previous one expired.

I'm so confuse and I don't know if is worth to call CIC now and then to check if everything is OK, I just don't want to find out CIC lost my application for OWP since I've been working with an expired one (I just got re-hired by my previous Employer after I show all the letters, emails, receipts and everything I got from the local CIC stating I have applied for a new work permit, and I really don't wanna lose my job because of the delay in obtaining a new permit).

So far 7 months have passed by since our application was received and we haven't receive any notification if our application has reached the 1st stage of approval or has been denied. It is so frustrated...next time I rather arrive by boat and claim assylum as refugee, hahahaha, just kidding (bad joke BTW :mad:)

headcrusher

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My partner (British) and I are thinking about doing an inland application and were wondering whether he would need to get fingerprints? If so, when and where would he get that done? Thanks for any info.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
headcrusher said:
My partner (British) and I are thinking about doing an inland application and were wondering whether he would need to get fingerprints? If so, when and where would he get that done? Thanks for any info.
You need to obtain a police certificate and it can't be more than 3 months old when you submit your application. Follow this link for requirements (I don't think the UK police require fingerprints):

How to obtain a police certificate -- United Kingdom

headcrusher

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was wondering if anyone knew whether you could apply outland while inside Canada? I do realize my partner would have to return to his country of residence to attend the interview as well as send in his passport if permanent residence is approved. Just wondered if this would cause any problems regarding the application and if it was even allowed? Thanks alot!

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
headcrusher said:
I was wondering if anyone knew whether you could apply outland while inside Canada?
He needs a place of permanent residence in the outside country and he has to maintain his visitor or work permit, etc. which he remains in Canada. Unless you've been told otherwise 6 months is the maximum you're allowed to stay. After that you have to apply for extensions, which won't necessarily be granted but they usually will with an outland application in the works, as long as he can still prove that his stay is temporary (for now) and that he can support himself or be supported without working illegally.