03-25-2013
File Transfer...
03-25-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-14-2013
Hello,

quick question... do they usually change "medical has been received" to "in process" once they are working on your application?

here is my time frame for my husband

Feb 22, 2013 - sent application to Mississauga
Feb 25, 2013 - application received
March 25, 2013 - sponsorship approval *noted that my application has been transferred to Manila for further processing* (DECISION MADE)

as for Permanent Residence all it says is Application received February 25, 2013

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mrs_d said:
Hello,

quick question... do they usually change "medical has been received" to "in process" once they are working on your application?

here is my time frame for my husband

Feb 22, 2013 - sent application to Mississauga
Feb 25, 2013 - application received
March 25, 2013 - sponsorship approval *noted that my application has been transferred to Manila for further processing* (DECISION MADE)

as for Permanent Residence all it says is Application received February 25, 2013
It depends on your visa office and if they agent working on your application ever changes it. Some people never go "in process" - they go straight to "decision made."

Amalla

Sep 5, 2012
Hello,

My husband received his passport request from Ottawa office and I just overnighted it to them yesterday. Approximately, when will I receive the passport back? They have my mailing address in Canada. I currently live in Canada.

Thank you

rosellyalung said:
thanks a lot LEON for the post! god bless all of us!

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
How long do I have to stay out of Canada after I've reached my 6 month period there? (I am from California)
Are there any loopholes? Could I leave for a week after my six months and return for another six months executing my one year there so me and my boyfriend qualify as common law?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You don't have to leave at all if you file an extension of visitor status by mail or online. You can also go to the border, exit and re-enter. There's no required time. Just make sure they give you a new stamp if you go to the border. If your boyfriend can come, that would be best. He can ask for you to be allowed to stay with him.

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
I've been told before (on here) that I may not ALWAYS be able to be let back in at the end of my six months. Also told that I'd have to stay out for six months before returning. Can I keep apply for an extended stay if the first one is denied?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
KKRSTNA said:
I've been told before (on here) that I may not ALWAYS be able to be let back in at the end of my six months. Also told that I'd have to stay out for six months before returning. Can I keep apply for an extended stay if the first one is denied?
If your request is denied by mail/internet, you have to apply for restoration of status. It's fairly expensive - might be cheaper to take a weekend trip over the border. Or more fun.

It's true you might not always be let back in. Americans do get denied entry. It's not very common, but it does happen. You can definitely come straight back though. Is your boyfriend able to come with you? It would be best if he comes and brings a few paystubs. He can then explain to the IO he wants you to come back to Canada with him so you can qualify as a CL couple. He can show his paystubs and tell them he will support you (rest any fears you'll work under the table).

If you apply by mail/online, you can pretty sure much tell Vegreville the same thing for "Why" you want to stay in Canada and should paystubs for proof of support. This really worked for me...... :)

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
amikety said:
If your request is denied by mail/internet, you have to apply for restoration of status. It's fairly expensive - might be cheaper to take a weekend trip over the border. Or more fun.

It's true you might not always be let back in. Americans do get denied entry. It's not very common, but it does happen. You can definitely come straight back though. Is your boyfriend able to come with you? It would be best if he comes and brings a few paystubs. He can then explain to the IO he wants you to come back to Canada with him so you can qualify as a CL couple. He can show his paystubs and tell them he will support you (rest any fears you'll work under the table).

If you apply by mail/online, you can pretty sure much tell Vegreville the same thing for "Why" you want to stay in Canada and should paystubs for proof of support. This really worked for me...... :)

Thank you so much for the clear straight advice! and by no means would I ever use being an American as some sort of privilege! Haha. My boyfriend is a project manager, and works quite a bit, but he can take off a day or two if needs be. I have one more question... if I'm approved for the first stage of my application, would I be able to attend school there without paying the international student fees?

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
eCAS Status changed to Decision Made on April 22nd.

mrs_d

Star Member
Apr 18, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2013
AOR Received.
03-25-2013
File Transfer...
03-25-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-14-2013
amikety - thank you for the reply!

How long usually they ask for the passport?? when i sent my husband application everything has been completed as well as the fees.

mrs_d

Amalla

Sep 5, 2012
mrs_d said:

How long usually they ask for the passport?? when i sent my husband application everything has been completed as well as the fees.

mrs_d
My husband received his passport request from Ottawa office and I just overnighted it to them yesterday. Approximately, when will I receive the passport back? They have my mailing address in Canada. I currently live in Canada.

mrs_d

Star Member
Apr 18, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2013
AOR Received.
03-25-2013
File Transfer...
03-25-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-14-2013
Hi amalla....

whats your timeline??? Are you landed or Canadian Citizen *by birth or natulized*?

I am trying to figure out the waiting period.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
KKRSTNA said:
Thank you so much for the clear straight advice! and by no means would I ever use being an American as some sort of privilege! Haha. My boyfriend is a project manager, and works quite a bit, but he can take off a day or two if needs be. I have one more question... if I'm approved for the first stage of my application, would I be able to attend school there without paying the international student fees?
Truth is being American is a sort of privilege. People from countries that require visas aren't usually allowed to stay in Canada while being sponsored. They usually have to wait in their home country and sometimes it can take years to be approved. We really are lucky.

Generally, no. You can talk to some different schools, though, and see what they have to say. You would need a study permit either way. Unless you take classes on the internet - no permit required. (You can call CIC and verify.) You can also take studies through a US school online, which is what I am doing. (The thing about a study permit is you need permission to take up a physical spot in a program that could be offered to a Canadian. Online - no physical spot and you can technically take the course from anywhere in the world.) Because you're going to be a visitor, you can't work. You can file through the Federal government after earning little/no income and get subsidized loans and the Pell Grant. The USA doesn't count common-law partners as a couple to file taxes together, so you don't need to worry about your boyfriend's income there.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mrs_d said:

mrs_d
Not to be picky or anything, but it's helpful to know which visa office you used. :) Some ask for the passport near the beginning and some near the end. I don't know all the different offices - just tidbits here and there.

What might be best to get a better answer is to find a thread for your visa office and ask there. People with experience might be able to give you a good idea of what they're waiting times are.

Ottawa seems to be slow lately. I've joked a few times they have run out of printer paper. A few Americans are waiting over two months for their COPR visa. :(

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
amikety said:
Truth is being American is a sort of privilege. People from countries that require visas aren't usually allowed to stay in Canada while being sponsored. They usually have to wait in their home country and sometimes it can take years to be approved. We really are lucky.

Generally, no. You can talk to some different schools, though, and see what they have to say. You would need a study permit either way. Unless you take classes on the internet - no permit required. (You can call CIC and verify.) You can also take studies through a US school online, which is what I am doing. (The thing about a study permit is you need permission to take up a physical spot in a program that could be offered to a Canadian. Online - no physical spot and you can technically take the course from anywhere in the world.) Because you're going to be a visitor, you can't work. You can file through the Federal government after earning little/no income and get subsidized loans and the Pell Grant. The USA doesn't count common-law partners as a couple to file taxes together, so you don't need to worry about your boyfriend's income there.

The only issue is, money. That's why I'm not there now, currently working and saving up. Should be there in November. Now, I'm supposed to be attending Alqonquin...I see on there website that they offer 6 month programs, etc... I've been told I don't need a study permit if I'm only there for 6 months, and that I could also have it granted to me right then and there if I show proof of me being in school there? If money is an issue for me, do you think it's best that I wait until I'm granted PR so I don't have to worry about more finances than I can handle? I really don't want to stress my boyfriend out. That's mainly the reason why I'm trying to go there only when I've saved up a decent amount. Another idea I have is to just save up enough money to last me for a year, come back to California and start gathering all information/proof for our common law application, apply Outland so I can work down here, and once granted, move back to ON, and then start school so I can avoid international fees. Since I'm supporting myself, 10,000 is quite a bit of money. Do you think this is a good idea? My apologies for sounding so desperate, but I am quite desperate to be with my love.

Thank you again.