Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JuanitaCollins said:
Hello,

I am so lost. My husband is a Canadian born citizen. I was refused my refugee and PRRA claim and went back to St. Lucia a week after we got married. I have an 8 yr old daughter here in St. Lucia but my husband is not her biological father. My husband is unemployed and sick and is trying to get disability. I am desperately trying to get back to Canada to take care of him. Can we still put in an application for spousal sponsorship? I can get work in Canada as I left my last job on good terms and I have work experience in Canada. I am also trying to get funds to help me sustain us for a couple of months. It is urgent that i get to him. I just need advice on what I should do? Has anyone been in a similar situation? We were afraid that our sponsorship claim would be refused and never put through an application.
As long as your husband is not on welfare, he can apply to sponsor you. He needs to show that you will not both end up on welfare so if he isn't making much money, you should get a letter from your former employer stating how long you worked for them and if they are willing to offer you a job again when you come back. However, sponsorship is not very fast. Your visa office is Port of Spain. 80% of applications done by 20 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp#west

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-11-2013 (sent January 2 2014, DM January 16 2014)
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
Leon said:
As long as your husband is not on welfare, he can apply to sponsor you. He needs to show that you will not both end up on welfare so if he isn't making much money, you should get a letter from your former employer stating how long you worked for them and if they are willing to offer you a job again when you come back. However, sponsorship is not very fast. Your visa office is Port of Spain. 80% of applications done by 20 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp#west
The thing is and correct me if I'm wrong, but disability is welfare unless it is through an employers insurance. EI or medical EI is not. If he is trying to get it and not currently on welfare he could sponsor before he does? It might not matter with that letter from employer. Perhaps it's possible to apply as a skilled worker? I would get him to call the CIC number to find out. The caregiver part may also factor in. I hope someone with more experience with this than I will see it and know what the best solution is. I feel like there should be one. The refugee refusal will probably factor in as well.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
toutesweet said:
The thing is and correct me if I'm wrong, but disability is welfare unless it is through an employers insurance.
Disability is not welfare. Disability is paid under the CPP program, which is funded by deductions from both employee and employer pay.

toutesweet said:
Perhaps it's possible to apply as a skilled worker?
Yes, it is possible to do so, if you qualify.

toutesweet said:
The refugee refusal will probably factor in as well.
It is a red flag but does not mean you will be refused. Just subject to greater scrutiny.

My advice is to suggest that you apply with him as sponsor. In the forms where it asks you what to do if the sponsor is refused, choose continue. If the sponsor is not approved, you should file a written request that your application be converted to an H&C application and considered as such.

I think they will approve your sponsor, however, so H&C won't be necessary.

Jan 9, 2014
computergeek said:
Disability is not welfare. Disability is paid under the CPP program, which is funded by deductions from both employee and employer pay.

Yes, it is possible to do so, if you qualify.

It is a red flag but does not mean you will be refused. Just subject to greater scrutiny.

My advice is to suggest that you apply with him as sponsor. In the forms where it asks you what to do if the sponsor is refused, choose continue. If the sponsor is not approved, you should file a written request that your application be converted to an H&C application and considered as such.

I think they will approve your sponsor, however, so H&C won't be necessary.

thank you so much. He has PTSD so trying to live a normal life is hard for him. Getting work in Canada has never been a problem for me as I have an extensive customer service background and I am well rounded with work experience. I even have my smart serve certification. But this advice has really helped. Thank you.

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
JuanitaCollins said:
thank you so much. He has PTSD so trying to live a normal life is hard for him. Getting work in Canada has never been a problem for me as I have an extensive customer service background and I am well rounded with work experience. I even have my smart serve certification. But this advice has really helped. Thank you.
Juanita I am so happy you got such a great answer from computergeek! I am happy too to learn everything I can about a subject that is close to my heart. I'm sorry about your husband. I really hope he gets good treatment, is successful with his application, and that you have every success. I'm sure it will help him a lot to have you with him and take some stress off to ideally get better.
I wish you every success with you're application for the both of you and that you and your child will be happy in Canada. Please keep us informed of your progress. I'm rooting for the three of you!

PapeCancer

Jul 20, 2012
Hello everyone
I have just graduated from university in June and got the job in July. I have been working from July to present I don't have income in 2012 tax year but I do have just a little bit income in 2013 . Because I have worked for only few months and my income is in low income range.I also have over $10 000 saving in my account . Plus, my employer provided me the employment letter to confirm my job and my pay rate . However, I have $10000 student loan to pay , I am paying it monthly and I havent missed any payment . As I know, (correct me if I'm wrong) spousal sponsorship does not require specific minimum income proof . Do I have to write the letter to CIC office to prove that I have skills and stable job proof to support my spouse ? And is it possible for me to become a sponsor ?

Thank you for helping :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
PapeCancer said:
Hello everyone
I have just graduated from university in June and got the job in July. I have been working from July to present I don't have income in 2012 tax year but I do have just a little bit income in 2013 . Because I have worked for only few months and my income is in low income range.I also have over $10 000 saving in my account . Plus, my employer provided me the employment letter to confirm my job and my pay rate . However, I have $10000 student loan to pay , I am paying it monthly and I havent missed any payment . As I know, (correct me if I'm wrong) spousal sponsorship does not require specific minimum income proof . Do I have to write the letter to CIC office to prove that I have skills and stable job proof to support my spouse ? And is it possible for me to become a sponsor ?

Thank you for helping :)
Yes, you can, from the information provided, apply to sponsor. Just follow the instructions in the application package from the CIC web site and it will tell you what information to provide.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
JuanitaCollins said:
In the unlikely event that you need to request H&C handling, his PTSD and your care for him will be important factors (because they relate to the well-being of a Canadian Citizen). Your ability to support yourself (and him) will help assuage potential concerns a CIC officer might have about your ability to support yourself. If he is not approved as sponsor (again, very unlikely) there are other steps I can suggest, but I'll refrain for now because I don't think it will be necessary or useful for you.

PapeCancer

Jul 20, 2012
zardoz said:
Yes, you can, from the information provided, apply to sponsor. Just follow the instructions in the application package from the CIC web site and it will tell you what information to provide.
Thank you for your quick response . Hope you have a nice day :)

sulemanmirza

Aug 7, 2013
Ajax, ON
Visa Office......
London, UK
App. Filed.......
18-June-2014
Doc's Request.
21-May-2015
AOR Received.
12-August-2014
File Transfer...
In process: 20-May-2015
Med's Request
27-May-2015
Med's Done....
DM: 23-Nov-15
Passport Req..
01-Dec-2015 Passport submitted: 02-Dec-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-Dec-2015
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2015 :)
Hello,

I am a permanent Resident in Edmonton AB from 1 year, and doing two jobs one as a software Developer and other a part time CSR. My marriage is set to be in February 4th 2014, My partner is in Karachi Pakistan, I went through all the points mentioned above, I know it takes a great amount of time to sponsor someone form Pakistan, but its worth the wait, I have some questions I hope I would get some good answers on that;

1. Most importantly I am going to Pakistan end of January , I want to know Is there something that could be prepared prior the marriage so that it saves me some time in the document gathering process.?

2. Is their anyway I can get myself approved or eligible as a sponsor.?

3. Can I call my partner on Student visa or visit visa stating that I will take care of her expenses and showing adequate funds she is also a Computer Engineer like me.? I know clause of "going back" will be their but how do I make that up.? so that atleast I can be with her as soon as possible, even she will go back after the visa period.

4. For a background check or police certificate etc , does any previous history of not my partner but my partner's brother will be a hindrance in my application.?

5. Its mentioned that we have to show chat records etc, What type of chats are they.? are they personal chats.?? Can I sort them out.? As I think I chat with her like 8 to 10 hours a day :p.

I hope I will get nice response from my friends..!! :)

rainjohnny

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
Bacolod City, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 24, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 10, 2014 (Appendix A, Passports and Re- Med)
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
November 08, 2013
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
November 10, 2013
Med's Request
June 05, 2014
Med's Done....
May 16,2013 (Remed June 25, 2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
June 05, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM July 28, 2014
LANDED..........
(By God's Divine Will and mercy should be by) December 2014
zardoz said:
It shouldn't pose a serious problem as long as all the paperwork is in place. Specifically, the principal applicant will need formal permission from the children's other parent to remove them from their country of current residence. Of course, if the other parent is deceased or the principal applicant has sole legal custody, supported by court documents, that's fine. If the children are of the age of majority in both their current country AND Canada, it's also not an issue.
Thank you for your time. May God bless you in abundance. Great Day ahead.

Saied

Star Member
Dec 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December, 2012
AOR Received.
Dec 31, 2012
File Transfer...
March, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
January, 2014; Passport sent on Jan 19, 2014; passport dispatched back from Singapore on Feb 7,2014. eCase status showing "Decision Made" 9/2/14....
VISA ISSUED...
February 5, 2014
LANDED..........
yes and life is beautiful
Re: anyone know anything about a phone interview call from singapore immigration?

remonda said:
God will be with you and with us pls tell us abount any news
Hey there,
I just checked my application status on www.cic.gc.ca and they have updated my status from "Application Received" to "In Process". Good to know it's on move.

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
Re: anyone know anything about a phone interview call from singapore immigration?

Saied said:
Hey there,
I just checked my application status on www.cic.gc.ca and they have updated my status from "Application Received" to "In Process". Good to know it's on move.
Great news. Almost there.

MSAM

Jan 9, 2014
salam ,
i'm from pakistan and ....i hv done my remedical 10th june 2013 and send to islamabad embassy..... still waiting for ppr .... .... anybody i here who is still waiting for ppr after remedical ... please answer me ... i'm so worried .....

MSAM

Jan 9, 2014
salam ,
i'm from pakistan and ....i hv done my remedical 10th june 2013 and send to islamabad embassy..... still waiting for ppr .... .... anybody i here who is still waiting for ppr after remedical ... please answer me ... i'm so worried .....