+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

*Rossy*

Mar 27, 2011
I found this in Internet:

Common-Law Partner:

If two people – either of the opposite gender or of the same – have been living together in a conjugal relationship for least one year in 12-month period. Short absences are allowed for business and family reasons....

What this mean? He separated of me only for work and also just to visit family and friends... and say again.. in two and half years (in general is 2 years and 7 months) only separated for 5 months! and we have in this relationship for 4 years...

I don't understand! :(

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*Rossy* said:
Common-Law Partner:

If two people – either of the opposite gender or of the same – have been living together in a conjugal relationship for least one year in 12-month period. Short absences are allowed for business and family reasons....
The place to look is the CIC site, not "the internet" in general.
The OP manuals are a good place to check.

When the CIC say "The separation must be temporary and short." they certainly do not mean months,... in fact "two weeks" has been quoted in the forum by some members.

OP 2 manual section 5.35.

"While cohabitation means living together continuously, from time to time, one or the other partner may have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short."

** my bolding.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

No matter how many times the question is asked, the answer still appears to be, you do not meet the criteria to file "Common law".

gigi1612

Nov 9, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2009
Doc's Request.
08-04-2011 Police Clearence
File Transfer...
29-10-2009
Med's Request
16-11-2010
Med's Done....
24-03-2011
Interview........
12-04-2011 AIP
LANDED..........
18-09-2012
How many months of the las 12 months you have lived together?

Let's say the answer is 9, so all you have to do is wait another 3 and then submit the application. If the answer is 8, so wait another 4 and so on...

In the meantime, you can start browsing in your pics, travel receipts, and anything else that you have done together and make a file of you life together for the las 4 years. Look also for any life insurance, wills, credit card and joint bank accounts that you might have and they can prove you guys have a common-law relationship.

Good luck

*Rossy*

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for the help!

The last year we have 6 months but he go to Canada pretty soon... :'( he can't wait 6 months more... and i can't go to Canada either for this moments... :(

lmanu123

Mar 26, 2011
Hi,

I have applied for my husband and step son who are in india

I came to canada in 2009 on point system and got married in india on april 2010, however my wedding was not attended by my family as they did not supported my marraige but my husband mom and his son and few friends were there on marraige followed by reception with around 100 attendees. After coming bACK TO CANADA i appiled for my husband and step son in march 2011.
However in between i again visited my step son and huband in jan 2011.i know my husband for last 4 yrs as we worked in same organisation that how we became god friends and and when i came to canad in 2009 we use to talk to each other on phone as good friends.
I also need to know my husband is in mumbai, will file be sent to mumbai or delhi.
I need to know hw stong my case is???PLs help

rasa

Mar 27, 2011
Providence, RI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm putting the IMM 0008E_1: Schedule 1- Background/Declaration form and the most daunting part is the "List all of your residences since the age of 18." I'm 35, I was in college for 5 years, and lived in a different dorm just about every year, if not every semester, and then moved back to my parent's home in summers. So I'd have a list like this:

1999 09 - 2000 05 Dorm Name
2000 06 - 2000 09 Parent's Address
2009 09 - 2001 05 Dorm Name
2001 06 - 2001 09 Parents's Address

...and so on for 5 years. I need to call CIC anyway, and will verify with them, but, how have others handled this? I feel like I should be this exact and specific, but even at that, I don't have a record of my exact address those years, that was a long time ago, haha!

Heckler

Mar 14, 2011
Bristol, Uk
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-10
Passport Req..
11-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-11
LANDED..........
02-04-11
rasa said:
I'm putting the IMM 0008E_1: Schedule 1- Background/Declaration form and the most daunting part is the "List all of your residences since the age of 18." I'm 35, I was in college for 5 years, and lived in a different dorm just about every year, if not every semester, and then moved back to my parent's home in summers. So I'd have a list like this:

1999 09 - 2000 05 Dorm Name
2000 06 - 2000 09 Parent's Address
2009 09 - 2001 05 Dorm Name
2001 06 - 2001 09 Parents's Address

...and so on for 5 years. I need to call CIC anyway, and will verify with them, but, how have others handled this? I feel like I should be this exact and specific, but even at that, I don't have a record of my exact address those years, that was a long time ago, haha!
I just listed my university address for the years I was there, even though I lived at my parents place during the summer. Can;t say if thats the official way to do it but they didn't throw out my application because of it so it seemed to work! In fact I couldn't give the full postal address of one of the places I lived as I'd forgotten what it was & when I went to look it up online I found the whole block had been flattened & turned into a park ??? I worte down the street name & then added "house number & post code unknown" on the form

chrisosaki

Mar 30, 2011
just hoping for some help on knowing how to specify my package to sponsor my wife from outland.
Im in Canada, she is in Japan.

Document checklist- #14--- photocopy of marriage certificate, if you have a co-signer and he or she is your spouse. ... Im confused on this one.

This is for the sponsor (me) I dont have co-signer and how could my wife be a co-signer when she is the one being sponsored?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chrisosaki said:
This is for the sponsor (me) I dont have co-signer and how could my wife be a co-signer when she is the one being sponsored?
A co-signer is only needed when applying to sponsor relatives other than your spouse or dependent children, for example parents and your income alone is not enough. Then your spouse can co-sign. When sponsoring a spouse, you don't have a co-signer.

markusfelix

Mar 31, 2011
Hello Everyone!

This thread already gave me a lot of good information (I am new on this forum) but after hours of reading i decided to post:

After having come to Canada in 2006 on a study visa for a year while i was in highschool i decided to come back after finishing school in Germany (country of origin, citizenship).
I spent the winter season of 2009/2010 in Whistler and then went back to see my friends on the coast in the summer. This is where my story really begins.

I met this wonderful girl that summer but had to go back to Germany from August to the end of October. We are engaged now! (since monday! yaay! : D).
First of all my visitor status runs out on April 27th but i have been told by CIC on the phone a simple visit to the USA should get me another stamp in my passport for a renewed visitor's status but i have also had contrary info by other officials and am really confused.

So because we are certain now that this is what we want what if we got married very soon (our families are informed and ready for it but it would just be nicer to not rush it, it doesn't really matter because it's love but still) but then i could not send in my application for PR before my status runs out say because i couldn't get the marriage certificate in time? Will being illegal after marriage for say a week or two until the application affect the outcome? (Applying online for an extension doesn't really seem to be an option)
Unfortunately up until our engagement i wasn't going to stay in Canada after having come back here at the end of October and due to various, mostly personal reasons, we kept our relationship secret with no proof (not even the occasional photograph) up until just now. None of us was using a contract phone or facebook chat etc. at the time so there is basically no evidence of an "us" even existing up until now except for maybe two people knowing about it.
From now on having realized that she is the girl i want to spend the rest of my life with i will start documenting as much as possible, we are moving in together and there is going to be lots of proof of our marriage (photographic documentation of all the stages, lease for a house, couple photos etc.).
This will probably result in being called in for an interview i assume but other then actually convincing somebody through our presence and explanation of circumstances together i don't know how to prepare myself due to the lack of any physical evidence.

Thank you guys for helping people like me on here, I will make sure the favor gets passed on once i have the experience.
Thank You!
Markus

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to leave Canada to extend your visitor status. You can actually apply for it and give as a reason that you are getting married and intend to apply for sponsorship. If you apply through the mail, it will takes a few months to process which will give you those months of implied status (allowed to stay while waiting for an answer). See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp for instructions on how to extend.

You could also apply for a working holiday. There are two types of working holiday visas available to Germans. Each of them you can get once. One is an open work permit and the other is tied to an employer so if you have already done one of them, doing the other one now is an option. You can find them here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/youth-jeunesse/index.aspx?lang=deu&menu_id=75

markusfelix

Mar 31, 2011
I was not aware that i am considered "temporary resident" and as much as bugs me having to "prove" that i love the woman i love in this way those couple of extra months would be exactly what's needed to gather the evidence.
And then i assume if i got a employer tied work and travel visa i would be working and could still apply for a change to PR anytime with probably a better chance even?
Thanks a lot Leon! Big help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
markusfelix said:
And then i assume if i got a employer tied work and travel visa i would be working and could still apply for a change to PR anytime with probably a better chance even?
It is an option but not really faster. If your job is skilled, the employer could apply to sponsor you through PNP. If you get a PNP nomination, you will not need an LMO to change to a regular work permit when your work and travel visa expires and that will buy you enough time to stay in Canada while you wait for your PR.