+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Jan 7, 2018
Hi

As a Canadian sponsoring abroad, you would need to submit proof in the application that you are actually moving back to Canada when it is approved, not "at some point". You can try but without that proof, there is a definite chance of refusal.
Hi @canuck_in_uk, thank you for the reply! I definitely got that impression from the application. So far what we've compiled are my Notice of Assessments from the CRA, our bank statements showing ample savings (in both our American and Canadian bank accounts), signed letters from both my parents and my brother offering us housing upon arrival indefinitely until we acquire jobs, letters from each of us stating why we want to move back and our plans upon return (him for fire, me for my prior career field in which I still have lots of professional contacts), screenshots of places for rent in the specific area we're looking at returning to, and correspondence with family/friends discussing our plan to return home. Can you recommend other specific items that are valuable to have (aside from a guaranteed job offer, which is sort of the catch 22 here since he can't apply until he gets the PR)? And with abundance of proof, am I still to understand that IF approved, he could still return back to the U.S. and continue working until he could land a Canadian job? The PR status remains valid as long as he is living with me, the Canadian spouse, in the U.S.? Thank you!

M

marilamb

I am still collecting my documents and finishing the checklist, but I wanted to see what everyone did for the Passports/Birth Certificates/ National ID's. The checklist says photocopies but before I remember reading that the photocopies needed to be notarized/certified. Now when I am searching it on here it seems that it only need to be notarized/certified if its not english or french. Both of our ID's are in English. Do you know if they can just be a normal photocopy or not?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi @canuck_in_uk, thank you for the reply! I definitely got that impression from the application. So far what we've compiled are my Notice of Assessments from the CRA, our bank statements showing ample savings (in both our American and Canadian bank accounts), signed letters from both my parents and my brother offering us housing upon arrival indefinitely until we acquire jobs, letters from each of us stating why we want to move back and our plans upon return (him for fire, me for my prior career field in which I still have lots of professional contacts), screenshots of places for rent in the specific area we're looking at returning to, and correspondence with family/friends discussing our plan to return home. Can you recommend other specific items that are valuable to have (aside from a guaranteed job offer, which is sort of the catch 22 here since he can't apply until he gets the PR)? And with abundance of proof, am I still to understand that IF approved, he could still return back to the U.S. and continue working until he could land a Canadian job? The PR status remains valid as long as he is living with me, the Canadian spouse, in the U.S.? Thank you!
While he can't work until he is a PR, he can most certainly apply for jobs before he is a PR.

Yes, he can return to the US.

shequote

Jan 7, 2018
Michigan, USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-03-2018
AOR Received.
30-04-2018
Hey all! I'm a US citizen and just married a Canadian citizen in September. We are putting together everything for PR so my daughter and I can move to live with my husband. However, my daughter's bio father is incarcerated, so I cannot get the IMM5604 signed and notarized by him. I have the county judge declaration granting me the right to move with her. I do have sole legal and physical custody. Is that enough?
We're also having difficulties providing documentation of sponsor visitation, because we drive across the Ambassador bridge - no passport stamping or plane tickets - even though we see each other several times a month.
Lastly - how long is it taking for US spousal PR to go through nowadays? We were hoping to move this Summer. I know we can stay with him for 6m at a time as visitors, but I want my daughter to start next year in school in Canada.... Any insights/suggestions?

belch

May 9, 2017
Hi everyone!

Can anyone help me please
I am a PR going to sponsor my spouse through outland application.
How long is it acceptable for me to leave canada to see him for vacation? I know that PR must be living in Canada to sponsor. But what about vacation? Lets say 1-2 months. Thank you so much!

Reactions: kcward7

D-Mac

Mar 4, 2013
Hello All,

I am completing the open work permit form, which will accompany my main application.

Do the question on "Duration of Expected Employment" (page 3) I am actually currently on a work permit, so I assume I request the start date for the open work permit to commence on the day after the current one expires.

My question is: What should I enter as the end date? Do I just choose an arbitrary date in the future?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Newgrange

Jan 31, 2013
Hi,
Im looking for some info on spouse sponsorship for permanent residency please.
I married my husband last month and we want to move to canada this year.
We are both residing in ireland. We understand that in order for my husband to sponsor me that he needs to be living in canada.
What is the best thing to do apply through outland application or do i get a visitor visa an apply over there? Can i apply for a work permit through either application?
Thanks

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi,
Im looking for some info on spouse sponsorship for permanent residency please.
I married my husband last month and we want to move to canada this year.
We are both residing in ireland. We understand that in order for my husband to sponsor me that he needs to be living in canada.
What is the best thing to do apply through outland application or do i get a visitor visa an apply over there? Can i apply for a work permit through either application?
Thanks
He doesn't need to be living in Canada to sponsor you if you apply outland. Here are the differences:

Inland: both sponsor and applicant must be living together inside Canada to apply inland. Applicant can apply for a work permit. There is no appeal option if the application is rejected.

Outland: sponsor and applicant can be living in Canada, separately internationally, together internationally. There is no work permit option on an outland application. There is an appeal option if you are rejected.

We are outland Ireland living in Canada (finished the process in December). Husband was on a visitor visa. Happy to answer questions if you have any.

Newgrange

Jan 31, 2013
Thats great thank you. So I can apply from Ireland when we are both living here. What do you think is the best and fastest option?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Thats great thank you. So I can apply from Ireland when we are both living here. What do you think is the best and fastest option?
They streamlined inland and outland apps for a target of 12 months. It took us 10.

Outland has historically been faster and many outland apps seem to be processed relatively quickly as it is. Ours was kind of long, there were a few bumps along the way (happy to explain if you direct message me).

I think at the end of the day it's about what's available to you option wise and best for you and your partner...can you get into Canada and then apply inland, and then work? Is getting into Canada going to be difficult, is it best to just apply from Ireland if you're both working there and hang tight til it's done...etc.

Reactions: WeegieInOttawa
May 3, 2017
hi team - my wife and I married last year and are doing outland spousal sponsorship. I’m American and she’s Canadian living in Canada. From when we submit our package about how long do we have to complete and submit the medical exam information? Does anyone know what that exactly entails? A simple bill of health? Just wondering for preparation and time frame.
Do we really need not notarize birth cerifate even if we have a completed, no issues found, schedule A background check? I’ve obtained a photocopy of it easily enough.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
hi team - my wife and I married last year and are doing outland spousal sponsorship. I’m American and she’s Canadian living in Canada. From when we submit our package about how long do we have to complete and submit the medical exam information? Does anyone know what that exactly entails? A simple bill of health? Just wondering for preparation and time frame.
Do we really need not notarize birth cerifate even if we have a completed, no issues found, schedule A background check? I’ve obtained a photocopy of it easily enough.
You have to wait until they request the medical. When they do, you have 30 days to complete it.

It's a physical, x rays, bloodwork, urine sample. Relatively simple and painless, took us 30minutes maybe to complete it.

It has to be done by a CIC panel approved physician

Reactions: bolderthingtodo
May 3, 2017
You have to wait until they request the medical. When they do, you have 30 days to complete it.

It's a physical, x rays, bloodwork, urine sample. Relatively simple and painless, took us 30minutes maybe to complete it.

It has to be done by a CIC panel approved physician
Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey all! I'm a US citizen and just married a Canadian citizen in September. We are putting together everything for PR so my daughter and I can move to live with my husband. However, my daughter's bio father is incarcerated, so I cannot get the IMM5604 signed and notarized by him. I have the county judge declaration granting me the right to move with her. I do have sole legal and physical custody. Is that enough?
We're also having difficulties providing documentation of sponsor visitation, because we drive across the Ambassador bridge - no passport stamping or plane tickets - even though we see each other several times a month.
Lastly - how long is it taking for US spousal PR to go through nowadays? We were hoping to move this Summer. I know we can stay with him for 6m at a time as visitors, but I want my daughter to start next year in school in Canada.... Any insights/suggestions?
Hi

Yes, sole custody and the court judgement is enough.

Provide dates for the trips. They can see the entries in the system.

Plan for around 6-8 months. Might be faster, might be slower.

Reactions: shequote