London
AOR Received.
21-04-2017
File Transfer...
01-08-2017
Passport Req..
09-11-2017
Hello,

I am planning to apply for Canada PR. I went through the Express entry requirements and seems my wife and I both should be able to secure enough points to be eligible for PR through skilled express entry. Now here is my question:

- Shall both of us apply for permanent residency separately OR only I should apply with wife as a dependent? Which route is better as my wife also plans to work in Canada?
Yes apply as the principal applicant and your wife the dependant or vise versa, which ever gives you guys more points. There's no need to apply separately.
All the best

Scott-86

Sep 7, 2017
Scotland
I am British, living in Scotland with my wife who is Canadian. We got married 6 months ago at the registry office after being together for over a year. Our initial plan was to settle in Scotland together and so sucessfuly applied for a spousal VISA for my wife to stay in the UK. Despite being granted her VISA, we have since reevaluated our plans and wish to immigrate to Canada.

Our parents did not attend our marriage ceremony as they may have objected to us getting married after having only been together for over a year, and I, the principal applicant am not in contact with my father. As a result they are all unaware of our marriage.

Does anyone have any input on whether they think we might come up against problems for either the relatively short period of time that we have been married and also for our parents not being present/knowing?

We are both employed and have been living together for a year, have recently sold the property that we had been living in and have moved into the principal applicant's mother's house to apply for PR.

Thanks in advance

Scott

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I am British, living in Scotland with my wife who is Canadian. We got married 6 months ago at the registry office after being together for over a year. Our initial plan was to settle in Scotland together and so sucessfuly applied for a spousal VISA for my wife to stay in the UK. Despite being granted her VISA, we have since reevaluated our plans and wish to immigrate to Canada.

Our parents did not attend our marriage ceremony as they may have objected to us getting married after having only been together for over a year, and I, the principal applicant am not in contact with my father. As a result they are all unaware of our marriage.

Does anyone have any input on whether they think we might come up against problems for either the relatively short period of time that we have been married and also for our parents not being present/knowing?

We are both employed and have been living together for a year, have recently sold the property that we had been living in and have moved into the principal applicant's mother's house to apply for PR.

Thanks in advance

Scott
Not for the short time. We were married 3m and dating just over a year prior to that before we applied.

Not sure about families not knowing. In some cultures that is a huge red flag - I imagine not so much for Scottish culture, but they may still question it - someone else may weigh in.

Reactions: Scott-86

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks in advance

Scott
Marrying after a month together and applying right away would be a relatively short amount of time. Marrying after a year together and applying 6 months later is not at all short.

One year is generally an acceptable amount of time to be together before marrying, so it is a bit unusual that you didn't tell your parents. I suggest you tell them before you apply (excluding the parent you have no contact with) and see if you can get letters of support from them.

Reactions: Scott-86

vunamese

Sep 7, 2017
Hi all,

wanted to give you guys an update on how I was able to link my account online once my paper application came through.

I am a US citizen and am married to a Canadian citizen. I applied for PR Spousal Sponsorship in July and the application was received July 19th, 2017. I received the AOR on September 6th (7 week wait time, a little longer than we had hoped). After having been locked out of linking the application for 24 hours, I found a method that worked.

As most people have said, linking via -Application # and Family Name- has been the most successful. However, there is a strange glitch that prevents you from leaving a "space" in city/town and country of birth. Every time I tried leaving this information blank, as recommended, I would be left with an error message insisting that I fill those boxes.

Instead, I
1. filled in Application number and family name (in caps)
2. left city/town of origin and country blank
3. filled in all passport information
4. selected the chosen province of residence
5. clicked "submit"
6. was THEN prompted (with the red arrows) to select chosen city of residence, marriage status and number of applicants and family members (in my case, 2 ...for my wife and myself)
7. selected the prompted information accordingly
8. clicked "submit"

This method worked because I was not prompted to complete the selection of city/town of origin and country.
I was able to link the account by the 2nd day of receiving my AOR.
Another thing that I recommend, if you are able to do so, is create a login with one of the sign in partners. Personally, I was able to open a bank account with TD canada trust. I was able to create an account with the sign in parter AS WELL as a regular GC sign in key. This gave me the ability to try linking up to 10 times within the first day. Hopefully with the above information, this will not be necessary.

Hope this helps and best of luck

Reactions: j3d

Dmcn85

Aug 5, 2017
Hi everyone. Just looking some advice.

Recently found out that my fiancé can apply for Canadian citizenship as his mother was born in Toronto. We are getting married in 3 months and need his British passport for traveling so can't start the citizenship process until early next year. After we get the certificate of citizenship he will apply for his passport.

We are then hoping to emigrate to Canada as husband and wife and he will sponsor me as his spouse. Neither of us have been to Canada but both of us have lots of family all over different parts. Hoping to go over for a few weeks and travel about a bit to see where we would like to settle.

I know that my future husband does not need to live in Canada before we start the emigration process but would it be better if he went first and got somewhere for us to live etc and hopefully a job. We are thinking maybe if he goes out a few months before and I will stay here and keep working but move back in with my folks to get some money saved. We aren't thinking of doing the move for a couple of years to give us time to get as much saved as possible for starting off.

Any suggestions etc would be great. Neither of us have much of a academic background, no university or that but I have had an excellent job with the government for around 10 years here in N.Ireland but wouldn't mind a change of career, I know you have to be a citizen to work for the government in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone. Just looking some advice.

Recently found out that my fiancé can apply for Canadian citizenship as his mother was born in Toronto. We are getting married in 3 months and need his British passport for traveling so can't start the citizenship process until early next year. After we get the certificate of citizenship he will apply for his passport.

We are then hoping to emigrate to Canada as husband and wife and he will sponsor me as his spouse. Neither of us have been to Canada but both of us have lots of family all over different parts. Hoping to go over for a few weeks and travel about a bit to see where we would like to settle.

I know that my future husband does not need to live in Canada before we start the emigration process but would it be better if he went first and got somewhere for us to live etc and hopefully a job. We are thinking maybe if he goes out a few months before and I will stay here and keep working but move back in with my folks to get some money saved. We aren't thinking of doing the move for a couple of years to give us time to get as much saved as possible for starting off.

Any suggestions etc would be great. Neither of us have much of a academic background, no university or that but I have had an excellent job with the government for around 10 years here in N.Ireland but wouldn't mind a change of career, I know you have to be a citizen to work for the government in Canada.
Hi

One important thing that your partner needs to understand is that he is a Canadian citizen. He won't be applying for citizenship, he will be applying for proof of citizenship. This also means that he cannot apply for an eTA to travel to Canada on his British passport because he must declare in the application that he is a Canadian citizen, which will result in the eTA app being refused. The only way he could get an eTA would be to lie on the app, which is actually fraud. As a citizen, he needs a Canadian passport to fly to Canada.

He doesn't need to send his British passport to apply for a Canadian Certificate of Citizenship, so there is no reason to delay applying for it.

He doesn't need to live in Canada or have a job her but if he is outside of the country when sponsoring you, he would need to show proof that he is moving.

Dmcn85

Aug 5, 2017
Hi

One important thing that your partner needs to understand is that he is a Canadian citizen. He won't be applying for citizenship, he will be applying for proof of citizenship. This also means that he cannot apply for an eTA to travel to Canada on his British passport because he must declare in the application that he is a Canadian citizen, which will result in the eTA app being refused. The only way he could get an eTA would be to lie on the app, which is actually fraud. As a citizen, he needs a Canadian passport to fly to Canada.

He doesn't need to send his British passport to apply for a Canadian Certificate of Citizenship, so there is no reason to delay applying for it.

He doesn't need to live in Canada or have a job her but if he is outside of the country when sponsoring you, he would need to show proof that he is moving.

Hi thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Colin's British passport is his form of ID; no driving licence etc so his passport has to go to the Canadian embassy in London, it will only be gone for 6-8 i think it said. And yes I did read that he will need his Canadian passport to travel to Canada. He will be keeping both passports so will be dual nationality. We have all documents ready to go for his proof of citizenship certificate application. We will get that all done before traveling to Canada for our honeymoon trip, dont intend to go until 2019 as we want to save next year and already have a lot on.

Hotspot91

Sep 8, 2017
Hi Good morning im in the process of preparing the application and i have a few questions if anyone can help please help.

Do we really need a lawyer?
Im marrying my brother's wife sister would you guys consider that a red flag?

And a list of forms for the
Applicant
Sponsor

Thank you for any kind of support you may give

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Colin's British passport is his form of ID; no driving licence etc so his passport has to go to the Canadian embassy in London, it will only be gone for 6-8 i think it said. And yes I did read that he will need his Canadian passport to travel to Canada. He will be keeping both passports so will be dual nationality. We have all documents ready to go for his proof of citizenship certificate application. We will get that all done before traveling to Canada for our honeymoon trip, dont intend to go until 2019 as we want to save next year and already have a lot on.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0014E-2.pdf

Identity Documents

Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a passport, a driver's license or a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it. - COPY

LIGHTMOOD

May 23, 2017
Hello,
I have just received a request to upload schedule A and police certificate... but they are also asking for passport photos and wedding pics... but I have already sent them wedding pics and passport photos in the application package..
Is there anyone who received the same request??