+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
username27 said:
I am a PhD student in Canada and from this August I am taking leave of absence and doing an internship for four months which will end in December. I received my PR in June and got married back home (Sri Lanka) in this October.
I am in process of applying for my spouse sponsorship and planning to submit my documents by the first week of December. Also, I received an offer from a well reputed company in US for an internship starting from January to June (6 months). My present internship annual salary is Canadian $65k (though I will be working for four months) and US annual salary will be US$75k. I will be back to my University to finish my PhD studies ( 1 year left in my PhD resarch) and planning to settle down in Toronto. These are my questions:
1. When I leave Canada for six months do I have to inform CIC? What are the implications if I inform or not? Which is better?
2. I might get my wife to US in dependant visa. Will it cause any problems for the immigration to Canada?
Three months ago, I went to help one of uncle to help his issues. At the time, I have asked that lawyer about my situation and he said I have to apply from Canada and then go to US for the internship. He is a wellknown immigration lawyer ($300/ appointment) but I did not get much time to talk about my situation. I am not sure whether he knows that I am a PR only.

Please let me know your suggestions. I am bit worried as I want to take my spouse as soon as possible to Canada and the US offer is really important for our future. Thanks in-advance.
Since you are not a Canadian citizen, you must be in (and remain in) Canada while your sponsorship application for your wife is being processed.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
username27 said:
I am a PhD student in Canada and from this August I am taking leave of absence and doing an internship for four months which will end in December. I received my PR in June and got married back home (Sri Lanka) in this October.
I am in process of applying for my spouse sponsorship and planning to submit my documents by the first week of December. Also, I received an offer from a well reputed company in US for an internship starting from January to June (6 months). My present internship annual salary is Canadian $65k (though I will be working for four months) and US annual salary will be US$75k. I will be back to my University to finish my PhD studies ( 1 year left in my PhD resarch) and planning to settle down in Toronto. These are my questions:
1. When I leave Canada for six months do I have to inform CIC? What are the implications if I inform or not? Which is better?
2. I might get my wife to US in dependant visa. Will it cause any problems for the immigration to Canada?
Three months ago, I went to help one of uncle to help his issues. At the time, I have asked that lawyer about my situation and he said I have to apply from Canada and then go to US for the internship. He is a wellknown immigration lawyer ($300/ appointment) but I did not get much time to talk about my situation. I am not sure whether he knows that I am a PR only.

Please let me know your suggestions. I am bit worried as I want to take my spouse as soon as possible to Canada and the US offer is really important for our future. Thanks in-advance.
U need to stay in canada but if you can show your strong relation with canada but you are out of canada temporary then it is possible.

MsCyn

Jan 21, 2013
VANCOUVER BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
12-12-2017
Med's Request
27-04-2018
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Interview........
28-08-2018
LANDED..........
28-08-2018
MilesAway said:
1. All the forms are sent to Mississauga, including the medical, police certificates, and proof of relationship.
2. You will need a police certificate from China and your home country. You do not need to provide a police certificate from Canada unless asked.
3. As indicated in the guide, for the purpose of the application, a family member is a spouse or dependent child. The applicant completes the form. Your husband is your sponsor, and not your spouse in terms of filling out forms (so if it says that your family members need to fill it out, then he doesn't).
4. Mark N/A on the checklist.

Hey MilesAway thanks for replying.

I forgot to mention that I also spent a year studying in Ottawa. I'm guessing that I will need police certificate from RCMP?

And um, anybody has any experience getting the police report from China? Care to share how to obtain it if you're not living in China? I have checked cic.gc.ca for instructions but would like to understand better from those that has been through it.

Thanks a lot guys!

AIN347

Jun 15, 2015
MsCyn said:

I forgot to mention that I also spent a year studying in Ottawa. I'm guessing that I will need police certificate from RCMP?

And um, anybody has any experience getting the police report from China? Care to share how to obtain it if you're not living in China? I have checked cic.gc.ca for instructions but would like to understand better from those that has been through it.

Thanks a lot guys!
Hi
I spent one and half year in china for my PhD research. To get Police clearance from china is tedious. I tried to search every possible way and company to help me with this but was not succeeded. At last my Institute helped me with it and they got paper from the local police station and get it stamped by Police. So my suggestion is that contact any Chinese friend and get the certificate from local police station where u used to live in china.
Hope it helps

vladikim

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
30-08-2016, AOR2 - 16-09-2016
Med's Done....
06-07-2016
Hello everyone, I'm new here. Glad to find this helpful forum.
I've been reading this forum for the past two weeks, however, still some many questions :)

My partner is a Canadian citizen, we've been in a relationship for 1.5 year now, and been living together for one year already. We will applying soon for my PR. As of now, we think to go with outland application, as it takes less time. Therefore, I've got some questions that is not really clear to me.
1. I'm currently working under my PGWP, we can apply outland and being both present in Canada or I should leave?
2. In case it is possible to apply outland whiule being in Canada, where shall we send our documents? Mississauga, Ottawa, or VO in my home country?
3. My current PGWP expires in August, can I still work before it expires and while my PR application is in process?

I would be really glad if someone can answer on my questions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - you can apply outland while both of you are in Canada. No - you don't have to leave.
2. The entire application package is sent to Mississauga.
3. No - you can't continue working. You will have to stop working as soon as your PGWP expires. You should also apply to change your status to visitor before your PGWP expires so that you can remain in Canada legally as a visitor while your PR application is processed.

vladikim

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
06-07-2016
scylla said:
1. Yes - you can apply outland while both of you are in Canada. No - you don't have to leave.
2. The entire application package is sent to Mississauga.
3. No - you can't continue working. You will have to stop working as soon as your PGWP expires. You should also apply to change your status to visitor before your PGWP expires so that you can remain in Canada legally as a visitor while your PR application is processed.
scylla, Thank you very much for your response.
Just to clarify second and third point:
2. I send my documents to Mississauga, where they will transfer my file afterwards? Do you think it will be sent to my home country VO or to Ottawa (I've been living in Canada since 2011). In case my PR will be approved, will I have to leave Canada for landing? If so, I will need a visa, as I'm a citizen of non-exempt visa country.
3. Once I apply for PR, I still can work under my PGWP before it expires, right? Or Once I apply for PR, I should stop working even though my PGWP is still valid?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
vladikim said:
scylla, Thank you very much for your response.
Just to clarify second and third point:
2. I send my documents to Mississauga, where they will transfer my file afterwards? Do you think it will be sent to my home country VO or to Ottawa (I've been living in Canada since 2011). In case my PR will be approved, will I have to leave Canada for landing? If so, I will need a visa, as I'm a citizen of non-exempt visa country.
3. Once I apply for PR, I still can work under my PGWP before it expires, right? Or Once I apply for PR, I should stop working even though my PGWP is still valid?
2. Yes, there's no way to know what they will choose. You can try writing a note requesting Ottawa since you've lived here so long. Be very polite and put the note on the top of the application. Otherwise they seem to have a tendency to send the app to the applicant's birth country.
Generally it's faster to "flagpole" at the US border. Since you are not visa-exempt, you can tell the US border agent you wish to "flagpole" to the Canadian side to land, and they can "administratively refuse" you entry to the US. This won't hurt your status if you ever want to apply for a US visa.

3. It should be fine since you are not actually approved for anything yet , and the PR only gives you the right to work in Canada anyways unlike a study visa which would cancel out a work permit. If you are approved as a visitor before the PGWP expires then yes, you'd have to stop working, but that won't happen if you apply 30 days before your current visa expires.

vladikim

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
06-07-2016
Aquakitty said:
2. Yes, there's no way to know what they will choose. You can try writing a note requesting Ottawa since you've lived here so long. Be very polite and put the note on the top of the application. Otherwise they seem to have a tendency to send the app to the applicant's birth country.
Generally it's faster to "flagpole" at the US border. Since you are not visa-exempt, you can tell the US border agent you wish to "flagpole" to the Canadian side to land, and they can "administratively refuse" you entry to the US. This won't hurt your status if you ever want to apply for a US visa.

3. It should be fine since you are not actually approved for anything yet , and the PR only gives you the right to work in Canada anyways unlike a study visa which would cancel out a work permit. If you are approved as a visitor before the PGWP expires then yes, you'd have to stop working, but that won't happen if you apply 30 days before your current visa expires.
Thank you, now it seems more or less clear lol :)
I have a valid US visa, so i guess do a flagpole would be the best option for me. Now, it is a matter of getting all the documents approved :)
Also, unlike inland application, I will be able to leave and come back to Canada with my valid visa, while my application is in process, right?

enggvirdi

Dec 2, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Pending
Nomination.....
22-12-2014
AOR Received.
NDVO does not send AORs
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
2nd line on 21st March 2015
Med's Request
07-04-2015
Med's Done....
18-04-2015; Third line on 28-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
Hi guys,

Can we call a spouse on study visa while her application is in process?

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Looking for some advice ::)

We submitted our application and upon SA it was sent to Amman VO. We waited about 3 weeks, then sent some updates via CSE. I had to split them up because the attachments were too large to put in one. They involved a 1) change in residential address for my husband, 2) an update to one of the forms (we answered no to question 6e about being refused admission to Canada when later we found out because we had been refused TRV (and had indicated this on the form in the previous question) that this also meant refusal of admission, some additional address info for relatives in Syria (who are moving around to avoid being caught in the fighting 3) medical receipt re-submission and 4) updated forms to reflect the previous 3 changes.

I then started receiving email confirmations for the CSE's being submitted - except I received 3 out of 4 (even though when I hit send, I had a screen confirmation each time). They were all sent in the same day / afternoon.

I then submitted another enquiry the next day saying that I had received only 3 of 4 automatic confirmations, and so I included a summary, asking them to let me know which one was missing (if at all).

I then applied for GCMS notes. During the month while waiting for GCMS notes, I received notice that our application was being transferred from Amman to Abu Dhabi. I saw in the notes the 5th enquiry (the one that had the summary) but did not see any references to the previous 4.

I recently sent another one, change of mailing address and when I checked ECAS, I noticed my husband's residential address has still not been updated, leading me to believe that the 4 case specific enquiries sent Aug 18 were somehow lost in their system.

I don't know what to do.....I'm thinking I should wait another few weeks (for the mailing address change to take effect), then order GCMS notes. If the CSE's are still not there, then I will have to write a long letter explaining the changes I had previously sent....I'm especially worried if they try and check where he lives, that he will not be found as his previous landlord does not know his new address. I'm also worried that if they don't have a record of the change in question 6e on IMM5669 that they will think we have misrepresented (even though we indicated the TRV that had been refused).

So do I bother them with this or simply wait for them to come back with information requests? We submitted our original application on Jun 3 and received SA on Jul 30, in process on ECAS on Aug 12.

I appreciate the advice.

Take care,

Cindy

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
chilkootcee said:
Looking for some advice ::)

We submitted our application and upon SA it was sent to Amman VO. We waited about 3 weeks, then sent some updates via CSE. I had to split them up because the attachments were too large to put in one. They involved a 1) change in residential address for my husband, 2) an update to one of the forms (we answered no to question 6e about being refused admission to Canada when later we found out because we had been refused TRV (and had indicated this on the form in the previous question) that this also meant refusal of admission, some additional address info for relatives in Syria (who are moving around to avoid being caught in the fighting 3) medical receipt re-submission and 4) updated forms to reflect the previous 3 changes.

I then started receiving email confirmations for the CSE's being submitted - except I received 3 out of 4 (even though when I hit send, I had a screen confirmation each time). They were all sent in the same day / afternoon.

I then submitted another enquiry the next day saying that I had received only 3 of 4 automatic confirmations, and so I included a summary, asking them to let me know which one was missing (if at all).

I then applied for GCMS notes. During the month while waiting for GCMS notes, I received notice that our application was being transferred from Amman to Abu Dhabi. I saw in the notes the 5th enquiry (the one that had the summary) but did not see any references to the previous 4.

I recently sent another one, change of mailing address and when I checked ECAS, I noticed my husband's residential address has still not been updated, leading me to believe that the 4 case specific enquiries sent Aug 18 were somehow lost in their system.

I don't know what to do.....I'm thinking I should wait another few weeks (for the mailing address change to take effect), then order GCMS notes. If the CSE's are still not there, then I will have to write a long letter explaining the changes I had previously sent....I'm especially worried if they try and check where he lives, that he will not be found as his previous landlord does not know his new address. I'm also worried that if they don't have a record of the change in question 6e on IMM5669 that they will think we have misrepresented (even though we indicated the TRV that had been refused).

So do I bother them with this or simply wait for them to come back with information requests? We submitted our original application on Jun 3 and received SA on Jul 30, in process on ECAS on Aug 12.

I appreciate the advice.

Take care,

Cindy
Ecas can be meaningless, when you log into it, do you see a button saying you can "update this home/mailing address?"

I suggest starting by calling the call centre in the morning. They can at least see if his address was updated and they may also be able to see if there's any note of your forms being accepted.

There's no harm in just sending them all again. It took me sending 4 faxes and the same thing by mail as a backup for them to get a form they actually requested.

Just put a note that you are worried the forms did not get through.
If they are sick of you sending forms maybe they will actually respond.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
enggvirdi said:
Hi guys,

Can we call a spouse on study visa while her application is in process?
What do you mean "call a spouse"? I think you are using the wrong word there.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
MsCyn said:

Thanks a lot guys!
As per the guide, you need police certificates for all countries other than Canada. Though CIC can request one later if they so desire.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Aquakitty said:
Ecas can be meaningless, when you log into it, do you see a button saying you can "update this home/mailing address?"

I suggest starting by calling the call centre in the morning. They can at least see if his address was updated and they may also be able to see if there's any note of your forms being accepted.

There's no harm in just sending them all again. It took me sending 4 faxes and the same thing by mail as a backup for them to get a form they actually requested.

Just put a note that you are worried the forms did not get through.
If they are sick of you sending forms maybe they will actually respond.
Thank you very much. I'm outside Canada so can't call the call centre. I will write a letter explaining my concerns and attach the updated forms and courier it to the office maybe.

C.