+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship maybe refused - work permit application ok?

spikehades

Oct 20, 2013
So, I have applied for a common law family class visa, however, although we did not have the same residence for one year went we sent the application. We had been cohabiting but, just staying at each others addresses. The apartments were linked to our employment contract and we couldn't arrange our joint home until after the employment contract finished.
By now we have been officially at the same apartment for 1 year, and we have lots of evidence to show our relationship is genuine, however I fear that they will deny us based on the technicality.

I just checked that I have enough points as a UK citizen to get a work permit for canada. It takes on average 2 months for a work permit for the UK to be accepted. We have decided to get married in August, so if our family class application is denied can we re-apply and can I also apply for a work permit concurrently?

Or will that raise red flags?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
in order to get a work permit, i believe you need to have an actual job offer and the company needs to do an Labour Market Opinion. From the other threads about working in canada, it sounds LMOs are taking upwards of 5 mo. to get, if they are even approved at all. it may just make sense to gather the application for spousal sponsorship, and send it in as soon as you can get your marriage certificate.

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
in order to get a work permit, i believe you need to have an actual job offer and the company needs to do an Labour Market Opinion. From the other threads about working in canada, it sounds LMOs are taking upwards of 5 mo. to get, if they are even approved at all. it may just make sense to gather the application for spousal sponsorship, and send it in as soon as you can get your marriage certificate.
I don't know that much about UK work permits, but I believe they have something like an open work permit, or working holiday visa - where you wouldn't need an LMO.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
He or she has to be under 30 for a holiday work visa .When did you send the application in.Did you apply inland or outland?You could be waiting some time for a response . If they do catch that you didnt complete the 1 year they will refuse the application., from what i have have seen on the forums .May be pull the application now ,save yourself some money and apply once you get married .

It can take 10 months from outland in the Uk and it may take all this time before you have any word .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
taffy7 said:
He or she has to be under 30 for a holiday work visa .
Plus all of the spaces for this year were taken a long time ago.

spikehades

Oct 20, 2013
I was thinking of applying under the Federal skilled workers visa. It has an average processing time of 2 months.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
spikehades said:
I was thinking of applying under the Federal skilled workers visa. It has an average processing time of 2 months.
Federal Skilled Working visa is closed at the moment and it takes ages for the application to be process.

I think the good option is withdraw your application now and file for Spousal if two of you are planning to get married in few months. It's pretty straight forward where as applying for common law you have to send a lot of documents like Statutory Declaration from your family and friends, Joint lease agreement, joint bank account, credit card and ect.
You have to prove them that you live together for 12 months to be qualified. In the eyes of CIC, if you cant prove it, it doesn't happen. That's one of their mantras and they're pretty strict about it...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
spikehades said:
2 months is the processing time for a temporary work permit. In order to get a work permit, you will first require a job offer from a Canadian employer with a positive Labour Market Opinion.

Posted processing time for 80% of Federal Skilled Worker applications through the London office is 27 months http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp#europe

spikehades

Oct 20, 2013
Carlaganda23 said:
Federal Skilled Working visa is closed at the moment and it takes ages for the application to be process.

I think the good option is withdraw your application now and file for Spousal if two of you are planning to get married in few months. It's pretty straight forward where as applying for common law you have to send a lot of documents like Statutory Declaration from your family and friends, Joint lease agreement, joint bank account, credit card and ect.
You have to prove them that you live together for 12 months to be qualified. In the eyes of CIC, if you cant prove it, it doesn't happen. That's one of their mantras and they're pretty strict about it...
I think you are right. The application has reached the final consideration stage. There was a request for new information last week. I need to decide whether to withdraw and re send. Will withdrawing now raise a red flag? And applying immediately after marrying - will that raise a red flag? Also, if we decide to do an inland application , is getting an OWP straight forward?

Again thanks for your help.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
spikehades said:
I think you are right. The application has reached the final consideration stage. There was a request for new information last week. I need to decide whether to withdraw and re send. Will withdrawing now raise a red flag? And applying immediately after marrying - will that raise a red flag? Also, if we decide to do an inland application , is getting an OWP straight forward?

Again thanks for your help.
Whether to withdraw now, or wait until the decision is made is up to you. You can apply immediately after marrying, as long as you have a marriage certificate. If you have been together for a while (and have proofs of that), then there is no reason why you can't apply just after getting married.
CIC process is 2-folds: first, CIC needs to establish whether you are a member of the family class (married, common law, or conjugal). Then they will examine if your relationship is genuine... but these are 2 separate things. So - in your case, they might not be able to determine whether you are common law or not - if they don't have proofs that you have lived together for 12 months, they will reject your application based on "not being a member of the family class". It doesn't mean that they think that your relationship is not genuine - it's just that you don't qualify.

If you get married - you qualify as a member of the family class. Then they will assess your relationship, and if you have enough proofs, there is no reason why your PR would not be approved.

Inland - you can apply for an OWP but you won't get it until the first stage is approved (somewhere between 6 and 9 months). If you're from the UK, outland is most likely a better idea - as you might get your full PR by that time (see in my signature the spreadsheet for London).

Good luck,
Sweden

spikehades

Oct 20, 2013
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. We have sent a lot of evidence to CIC, if they reject the application, will they send it all back?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
spikehades said:
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. We have sent a lot of evidence to CIC, if they reject the application, will they send it all back?
it's hit and miss... you can ask for it, and in your case, I would - explain that you would like to get all the proofs back, and hopefully they will send at least some of it. Some people had more luck than others, but if indeed your application is denied, then you have nothing to loose.

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
Sweden said:
Whether to withdraw now, or wait until the decision is made is up to you. You can apply immediately after marrying, as long as you have a marriage certificate. If you have been together for a while (and have proofs of that), then there is no reason why you can't apply just after getting married.
CIC process is 2-folds: first, CIC needs to establish whether you are a member of the family class (married, common law, or conjugal). Then they will examine if your relationship is genuine... but these are 2 separate things. So - in your case, they might not be able to determine whether you are common law or not - if they don't have proofs that you have lived together for 12 months, they will reject your application based on "not being a member of the family class". It doesn't mean that they think that your relationship is not genuine - it's just that you don't qualify.

If you get married - you qualify as a member of the family class. Then they will assess your relationship, and if you have enough proofs, there is no reason why your PR would not be approved.

Inland - you can apply for an OWP but you won't get it until the first stage is approved (somewhere between 6 and 9 months). If you're from the UK, outland is most likely a better idea - as you might get your full PR by that time (see in my signature the spreadsheet for London).

Good luck,
Sweden
What would happen if they get married now and send the marriage certificate to the VO? Would this look suspicious or would it make their existing application stronger?