+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2017 timeline and updates

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Still trying and failing.
We got another letter from CIC which request us to submit Schedure A and police certificate.

My question is:
1. my has been living in Canada just over 6 month. should she get police certificate from Canada? and how to request it?
See below.

For PCCs, you need one from your country of origin, if you lived there for >6 months after turning 18. You also need a PCC from any country you lived in for >6 months after turning 18.
For Canada, you don't need to provide one unless they specifically ask you to. But many people (including myself) did provide it as it is where we 'currently live' and I've been here >6 months. For a Canadian PCC, you need the RCMP Criminal Background Check (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/steps-obtain-certified-criminal-record-or-vulnerable-sector-vs-check) basically. You have to go to an RCMP-accredited fingerprinting center (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/who-can-conduct-criminal-record-check#ac) where they take your fingerprints and submit them electronically to RCMP to run through their database. In a week or so you receive the PCC paper in the mail. Use this tool to find out how to get a police certificate for any country: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp
If you select Canada in the tool, it will explain this to you. IRCC only accepts the RCMP's criminal record check for PCC, not local police station police certificates.

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
all..

I received an email letter from CIC a couple of weeks ago with an appointment date for an interview with my spouse who is sponsoring. I had to rearrange the date as I work in a fly in and fly out industry and would not be in Vancouver at the time. They replied to say that when they are booking September dates they will be in touch and if I am back earlier let them know for an earlier appointment.Is this the "Landing Interview?"

But today I received another letter saying that I meet the eligibility requirements to apply for PM under spousal sponsorship. It said
" It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that
a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent
resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks
for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they
are not applying to join you in Canada at this time." Is this the Accepted In Principle letter??

Also when I log into the online portal it says that I do jot require an interview yet, but a decision has not been made.

But again, when I just log in to check application status through the website it says "Decision Made"

A lot of mixed messages....anyone know what the story is? I assume the Decision Made means after I do the landing interview, everything is good?
Once you've gotten the landing interview appointment, I believe it's pretty much all done. i.e Your SA, AIP and DM are all done in some form because landing interview is the last stage where you land and become PR, so it's the end of the line, congratulations!
What was your timeline?

Minky.J

Jun 22, 2017
Still trying and failing.
We got another letter from CIC which request us to submit Schedure A and police certificate.

My question is:
1. my has been living in Canada just over 6 month. should she get police certificate from Canada? and how to request it?
2. we still not able to link our application online. so we decide to submit all requested documents by webform. is there any difference than submitting it online?

Thanks.
1. I provided PCC from Canada 'cause I didn't know CIC would request one themselves to RCMP. So I just did it to be safe.
2. when you scroll down to the bottom of your AOR, you will find the information on what could happen if you choose not to link your app.

How long has it been since you received your AOR? My AOR says, it gives me 7 calendar days to do so, and I would still try to link it until I can't.

Ylajali

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
App. Filed.......
2017-04-11
AOR Received.
2017-05-04
Med's Request
2017-11-15
For PCCs, you need one from your country of origin, if you lived there for >6 months after turning 18. You also need a PCC from any country you lived in for >6 months after turning 18.
For Canada, you don't need to provide one unless they specifically ask you to. But many people (including myself) did provide it as it is where we 'currently live' and I've been here >6 months. For a Canadian PCC, you need the RCMP Criminal Background Check (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/steps-obtain-certified-criminal-record-or-vulnerable-sector-vs-check) basically. You have to go to an RCMP-accredited fingerprinting center (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/who-can-conduct-criminal-record-check#ac) where they take your fingerprints and submit them electronically to RCMP to run through their database. In a week or so you receive the PCC paper in the mail. Use this tool to find out how to get a police certificate for any country: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp
If you select Canada in the tool, it will explain this to you. IRCC only accepts the RCMP's criminal record check for PCC, not local police station police certificates.
I don't think you have to provide a police certificate for every country you've lived in more than six month... On the sponsorship guide it states this:

When we ask you for police certificates at this stage, you’ll have to submit them for:

• In our case we provided the PCC as a country specific document and when they sent us the request for Sched A they did not ask to provide any PCC even if my husband lived in another country for 4 years...

HInland

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Passport Req..
20-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-2016
LANDED..........
13-10-2016
Does any PA or family member here was able to get the Provincial Health Insurance (specially OHIP) as a person who has applied for PR inland? I am not talking about those who are working because I know the rule for ONTARIO ;
have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
- you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
- you have not yet been denied

My understand is that "meet the eligibility requirements" means the person has received AIP and for Inland Family applicants and this will only come at the very end of the process.
The reason I am asking is a friend who is actually an Immigration Consultant keeps bugging me saying that my wife has the right to get her OHIP eventhough she is not working full time. She claims the right is just because she has applied and received the AOR and all I need is to print the AOR email and the application page on mycic.
That makes no sense for me, I have called OHIP to ask and they have informed that she can only apply after the AIP. But you know this friend is a Immigration Consultant. I really wish that I am wrong and my wife is indeed eligible to the OHIP.

jriddycuz

Aug 4, 2017
Québec City, QC
Category........
FAM
AOR Received.
03-08-2017
I was just able to link my application. Tech support responded to my inquiry (where I included full screenshots of the linking form) and corrected my entry for town of birth, which needed to be formatted in the form of "City Name, State" for me because that's what they had in their system. All the spaces and capitalization things that people have been trying seem to just be a way to try and divine what is in their system.

Since sending them whole page screenshots of my attempts seemed to work, I'll offer a link to the program I used to do that on Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/take-webpage-screenshots/mcbpblocgmgfnpjjppndjkmgjaogfceg?hl=en

If you're using another browser, you might search for "full web page screenshot extension for browser" or something like that.

icelandicpie

Jun 22, 2017
Thank you! I have lived exclusively in Canada since I was 18 (I haven't lived in my country of origin at all since I was 16!) so I will do the RCMP Criminal Background Check.

I have a question about OHIP. I'm currently a student living in Ontario and I'm covered under UHIP through my school, aka the OHIP equivalent for international students. I know it's possible to apply for OHIP once "you have applied for permanent residency and Immigration Canada has confirmed your eligibility" (I'm paraphrasing). What document/email/confirmation are they looking for if I'm applying under the inland common law partner program?

I saw that I could apply online or in person and I'm thinking of doing it in person to make sure I don't make mistakes filling in the forms - I saw they asked for the date I moved to Ontario, which for me would be December 2015. However at that time I was still attending school in Quebec and I remained under Quebec's health insurance until I transferred to a university in Ontario a year later. So there might be some overlapping dates and I don't want to confuse them ("at some point I moved to Toronto, and my primary residence was in Ontario, however I was attending school in Quebec and commuting, so I remained under the Quebec health plan even though I was a resident of Ontario... because I was also a temporary resident of Quebec and eligible") That could be confusing so I would rather fill in the forms in person so I can ask someone if I have any questions. Is it going to take longer to process if I don't submit my application online?

Edit to add another question:
I remember reading somewhere that it's strongly advised to remain in Canada once you apply for PR as an inland applicant or something. I'm planning a 2-week trip to my home country for Christmas (like every other year since I moved here) and a 3-week vacation to South America next May/June. No matter what happens with my PR application, I have a valid study permit. Do you think it will be a problem? I will be travelling with my common-law partner and I noticed the immigration officers never ask me anything when I come back to Canada (they see I have a study permit and live here, and that I'm just coming home).

Last edited:

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Thank you! I have lived exclusively in Canada since I was 18 (I haven't lived in my country of origin at all since I was 16!) so I will do the RCMP Criminal Background Check.
Same case with me! I've been in Canada since being 18 and I haven't been elsewhere for >6 months, hence I did the RCMP one since it's the only PCC I had to provide lol.

I have a question about OHIP. I'm currently a student living in Ontario and I'm covered under UHIP through my school, aka the OHIP equivalent for international students. I know it's possible to apply for OHIP once "you have applied for permanent residency and Immigration Canada has confirmed your eligibility" (I'm paraphrasing). What document/email/confirmation are they looking for if I'm applying under the inland common law partner program?
I have UHIP too right now with my uni. To be able to apply for OHIP/Health Card, you need an AIP basically i.e the stage where they find the applicant is eligible for PR. Nowadays, the AIP comes very close to DM and landing letter, so it's kind of pointless. Since I'm studying till April 2018 anyway, I won't bother applying for OHIP until I become PR since the UHIP will cover me till then. See Below Images.

Edit to add another question:
I remember reading somewhere that it's strongly advised to remain in Canada once you apply for PR as an inland applicant or something. I'm planning a 2-week trip to my home country for Christmas (like every other year since I moved here) and a 3-week vacation to South America next May/June. No matter what happens with my PR application, I have a valid study permit. Do you think it will be a problem? I will be travelling with my common-law partner and I noticed the immigration officers never ask me anything when I come back to Canada (they see I have a study permit and live here, and that I'm just coming home).
No, it won't be a problem. The advice to remain in Canada for inland applicants is for those who are on visitor status and their status expired and they are now on implied status until they hear back from the PR application. For us, since we have a multiple entry TRV and we have a valid study permit, we can enter and leave as normal during the application process.

icelandicpie

Jun 22, 2017
Thank you so much! It's nice to know we're in very similar situations.
What are the next steps for you? Waiting a few months for them to request your medicals?

Vandave

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Tsawassen, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-06-2017
1. I provided PCC from Canada 'cause I didn't know CIC would request one themselves to RCMP. So I just did it to be safe.
2. when you scroll down to the bottom of your AOR, you will find the information on what could happen if you choose not to link your app.

How long has it been since you received your AOR? My AOR says, it gives me 7 calendar days to do so, and I would still try to link it until I can't.
I just came back from Police Dept, and they told us PCC will be only issued for outside of Canada. They ask me to get clear information on where the PPC to be delivered to.

I am still trying on linking, and I know we still could submit all requested documents through webform or by mail. Thanks.

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Thank you so much! It's nice to know we're in very similar situations.
What are the next steps for you? Waiting a few months for them to request your medicals?
Yup! Medical request is sent 120-130 days after they received your application, so I'm just waiting for my med request in mid September. After providing meds, it's just a waiting game till SA, AIP, DM etc.
If you want, you can join our WhatsApp group where we talk about our applications and help each other out. Click on the link in my signature below to join!

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I don't think you have to provide a police certificate for every country you've lived in more than six month... On the sponsorship guide it states this:

When we ask you for police certificates at this stage, you’ll have to submit them for:

• In our case we provided the PCC as a country specific document and when they sent us the request for Sched A they did not ask to provide any PCC even if my husband lived in another country for 4 years...
Yeah, you're right. Now they only ask for current + 'where you spent most of your adult life'. In the past they used to ask for all where you've spend >6 months.

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Still a bit confused on PPC. Should we not go to local police for that? That may explained why they do not know how to do it.
IRCC only accept's the RCMP's "Criminal Background Check" as the PCC for Canada. What you need to do is to find an RCMP-accredited fingerprinting location (From the list here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/who-can-conduct-criminal-record-check#ac) in your city or your area, go that place. They will take your fingerprints, you'll pay them, and they will electronically send them to RCMP online. RCMP will them process your fingerprints and look for a match in their database. And then in 3 days they'll print a document (the PCC) and mail it to you, and it should come to you in a week or so. Then you scan that document and upload it as your PCC.
The Police Certificate that your local regional police service provides is not valid for immigration or IRCC, it's only for volunteering at places or local stuff.

How to get PCC for Canada according to IRCC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp