+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Question

rohidw

Nov 2, 2017
hello,

I would like to check if I need to be physically be present in Canada to sponsor my Parents in future when the website opens for sponsorship. I intend to move to the US taking new job. Await for your response. I have 5 yrs of T4's.

Kind Regards,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello,

I would like to check if I need to be physically be present in Canada to sponsor my Parents in future when the website opens for sponsorship. I intend to move to the US taking new job. Await for your response. I have 5 yrs of T4's.

Kind Regards,
Yes, you need to be physically.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can I return back if my draw gets picked ?
Sure, you can try doing that. You will then need to remain in Canada until their application is approved. Keep in mind that T4s are not enough. You need NOAs. So you will need to continue to file your taxes in Canada while living outside of Canada, declaring your worldwide income.

Reactions: rohidw and YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The purpose of PGP is to reunite with parents while living in Canada. If living permanently abroad there is no guarantee that your US income will count towards LICO. If people could live abroad, pay taxes abroad yet be able to sponsor their parents to come to Canada and use Canadian services that wouldn’t make sense. If living in Canada while earning income from abroad and declaring that income on your Canadian taxes that seems to count when applying for PGP but if living abroad and paying little no Canadian taxes and actually not applying reunify with your parents in Canada because you haven’t been living in Canada that is a very different scenario. Many would only return to Canada when they got selected for PGP and leave Canada again while their parents continued to use things like Canadian healthcare. The PGP program cost the taxpayers money but at least a little may be offset by their children being taxpayers, caring for them in person versus LTC in some cases, etc. It is also viewed as a benefit for those who are living and contributing to Canada. Given the huge demand for limited spots why would people living abroad while people living and working in Canada (and paying Canadian taxes) would not.

It seems so crazy to me that people think they are entitled to sponsor their parents when they are living abroad and in this case basically left right after applying/qualifying for citizenship. The whole point of the program is to reunite people who are living and working in Canada with their parents.

Last edited:

rohidw

Nov 2, 2017
The purpose of PGP is to reunite with parents while living in Canada. If living permanently abroad there is no guarantee that your US income will count towards LICO. If people could live abroad, pay taxes abroad yet be able to sponsor their parents to come to Canada and use Canadian services that wouldn’t make sense. If living in Canada while earning income from abroad and declaring that income on your Canadian taxes that seems to count when applying for PGP but if living abroad and paying little no Canadian taxes and actually not applying reunify with your parents in Canada because you haven’t been living in Canada that is a very different scenario. Many would only return to Canada when they got selected for PGP and leave Canada again while their parents continued to use things like Canadian healthcare. The PGP program cost the taxpayers money but at least a little may be offset by their children being taxpayers, caring for them in person versus LTC in some cases, etc. It is also viewed as a benefit for those who are living and contributing to Canada. Given the huge demand for limited spots why would people living abroad while people living and working in Canada (and paying Canadian taxes) would not.

It seems so crazy to me that people think they are entitled to sponsor their parents when they are living abroad and in this case basically left right after applying/qualifying for citizenship. The whole point of the program is to reunite people who are living and working in Canada with their parents.
Thank you for the elaborate, I fully wish & love to be in Canada, but again due to family constraints I am planning to leave Canada for an interim time. But fully intent to come back to Canada & leave my rest life here! I wish I could be here till i get the complete application approval. Hoping for it, thank you again.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the elaborate, I fully wish & love to be in Canada, but again due to family constraints I am planning to leave Canada for an interim time. But fully intent to come back to Canada & leave my rest life here! I wish I could be here till i get the complete application approval. Hoping for it, thank you again.
As previous stated you will typically have to wait until you have returned to Canada on a permanent basis to qualify to try to sponsor your parents and likely wait until you qualify LICO again. In @scylla statement it says you MAY qualify but typically if people have been living abroad on a permanent basis for an extended period of time their worldwide income for those years do not count towards LICO for PGP. Depending on when they return their worldwide income may count on the year they return. Based on your statements you have no plans on returning to Canada so could have many years where you would be living abroad and aren’t going for less than 6 months. The fact that people would think they could sponsor their parents while living abroad is what baffles me. The good news is if you remain in the US you can sponsor your parents that way.

rohidw

Nov 2, 2017
Thank you for brining it up, Can i put the application into Draw & once if it is picked up can i return , Would it be a feasible option.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for brining it up, Can i put the application into Draw & once if it is picked up can i return , Would it be a feasible option.
This question was already answered.

Reactions: rohidw

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also another clarification , Can you please help me approval means Till PPR , can you please help me with the stages. Thank you
You need to be living in Canada from the time you submit the application (after you are selected) until your parents' application is fully processed, they have been approved for PR, and receive the passport request. Plan on 1-2 years of living in Canada.

Reactions: rohidw

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to be living in Canada from the time you submit the application (after you are selected) until your parents' application is fully processed, they have been approved for PR, and receive the passport request. Plan on 1-2 years of living in Canada.
But that doesn’t mean your US income will count towards LICO. Like all others your file will be assessed to see if you meet the requirements to qualify for PGP.