+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship for a partner living in a third country without possibility of returning to home country

Apr 15, 2021
Hello friends,
I'm a PR from Iran. My Iranian partner lives in France with a student visa expiring today.
She cannot extend her legal residency in France. Nor can she go back to Iran because of the current political situation and her activism.
I'm wondering what's the best course of action for her to immigrate to Canada? Refugee? Getting married in a third country where we can legally do so and sponsorship? Conjugal sponsorship? ...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello friends,
I'm a PR from Iran. My Iranian partner lives in France with a student visa expiring today.
She cannot extend her legal residency in France. Nor can she go back to Iran because of the current political situation and her activism.
I'm wondering what's the best course of action for her to immigrate to Canada? Refugee? Getting married in a third country where we can legally do so and sponsorship? Conjugal sponsorship? ...
Fly to europe, get married there somewhere, then return to Canada and apply. She will have to be truthful about her visa status in France (overstay).

But other than that, I don't see any particular complication.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello friends,
Refugee is only possible if she travels to Canada on a TRV and claims refugee status once here. Unless she already has an approved TRV, getting one will not be possible.

Agreed that you should get married somewhere in Europe, then return to Canada and sponsor her for PR.

Reactions: Homelonely

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you sure it is possible to get married in Europe with an illegal status for her?
Each country has different rules. You'll need to research this to see where it's possible.

Reactions: armoured