+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Eligibility?

PAW

Sep 22, 2010
Hello:

I am a Canadian citizen married to a British Naval Officer since August, 2004 and we have lived together since 2002 in the UK, West Indies and now Italy because of his postings. We wish to live in Canada after my husband's retirement in the fall of 2011 and I would like to sponsor my husband under the family classification.

1. We intend to submit our application by the end of November 2011. Is this too early for submission?

2. Because of my husbands postings since 2004, I have been unable to work and therefore do not have any personal income to record. We have considered my husbands earnings to be joint. Will I be penalized because I cannot show any earnings in the last 12 months? I have a bank account, RRSPs, and a pension established in Canada as well as savings in UK.

3. Is my husband eligible to be a co-signer using his income and future pensionable earnings and our joint savings as the necessary annual financial requirements for the Canadian Government?

4. Because it is too early to do so, we cannot rent a property and cannot apply for employment. We are, however, selling our UK property and investigating the costs of shipping our belongings to Canada. We can provide a letter from my grown son in Canada stating that he will provide living accomodation for us until we find our own. Will this be enough evidence to show that we intend to move to Canada?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

PAW

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. When do you want to officially move to Canada? Apply about 6 months before that date.
2. No, you won't be penalized. Just provide an explanation. Did you file taxes in the UK? Send your husband's taxes if not because he would have declared you as a dependent.
3. You don't need a co-signer for this type of application. There are no financial requirements other than no undischarged bankruptcy and not in receipt of social assistance (welfare).
4. Probably be fine. And you may have more definitive plans by the time you apply.

Lanisha

Jun 2, 2010
Hi,

I am almost at the same situation,
Hope you can help me too on this.

1.I am new here in Canada and I am a Permanent resident.

2.I have my daughter with me, but my husband is still in the Philippines. I want to sponsor him right away because I am pregnant right now for 3 months and I am hoping that he can go here right away. He is working in the Philippines, and I am still unemployed since I just landed here last week. Do you think I am eligible to sponsor him?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Lanisha said:
Hi,

2.I have my daughter with me, but my husband is still in the Philippines. I want to sponsor him right away because I am pregnant right now for 3 months and I am hoping that he can go here right away. He is working in the Philippines, and I am still unemployed since I just landed here last week. Do you think I am eligible to sponsor him?
If you just landed, then you should have your husband on the PR application and he can already land. If you did not declare your husband when you landed, you cannot EVER sponsor your husband, I am afraid.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
angelbrat said:
If you just landed, then you should have your husband on the PR application and he can already land. If you did not declare your husband when you landed, you cannot EVER sponsor your husband, I am afraid.
Oh yes, there is that. Did you declare your husband on your PR application?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lanisha said:
Hi,

Did you declare your husband on your original PR application?

Lanisha

Jun 2, 2010
Yes, I declared him in my original application. But we checked not accompanying yet..he has undergone medical exmaination as well and he passed..now i want to sponsor him..will i be eligible to sponsor..I have a work now bt only a part time job..do you think we will be approved on the sponsorship?

cdngrl

Mar 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011
AOR Received.
16-03-2011
File Transfer...
16-03-2011 File Received 28-03-2011
Med's Done....
06-02-2011
Passport Req..
07-04-2011 Recd on 02-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2011 Recd on 03-06-2011
LANDED..........
24-06-2011
hi lanisha,

since you are a pr and already had your husband on the application you CAN sponsor him

also you do NOT need a job to sponsor him since you are a PR

good luck !

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lanisha said:
Yes, I declared him in my original application. But we checked not accompanying yet..he has undergone medical exmaination as well and he passed..now i want to sponsor him..will i be eligible to sponsor..I have a work now bt only a part time job..do you think we will be approved on the sponsorship?
As long as you are not in receipt of social assistance or have an undischarged bankruptcy, you should be fine to be approved as a sponsor. However, keep in mind that at the PR application stage (different from sponsorship stage), the visa officer must be convinced that you and your husband will be able to support yourselves when your husband lands in Canada. Keep working and in your submission letter, spend some time talking about how your husband's work skills will transfer to Canada and enable him to find employment.

Look, refusals of spousal PR applications (NOT the sponsorship portion) are rare under this section of the Act, however, it has been happening more lately. PMM found another case recently where the VO didn't believe that the sponsor and application would be able to take care of themselves economically once the applicant arrived in Canada. However, the applicant had no work work skills and the sponsor had barely worked for many years. I'm sure that is not the case for you and your husband but it wouldn't hurt to write a paragraph about the type of work you husband will do when he arrives in Canada.

Good luck.

Lanisha

Jun 2, 2010
HI,

Thanks for your reply. That's enlightening. I asked my husband to finish all the papers needed on our application. Regarding his work experience, he used to work in a bank and he's been doing that for 6 yrs now. He got promoted as a credit officer and he started as a teller. Hopefully, that kind of job will help him to be approved as a PR here..