+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Agreement. Why keep original?

CanadianDude

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-09-2010
AOR Received.
18-10-2010
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
Med's Done....
25-07-2010
Passport Req..
24-06-2011
I've got a curious question. Why does Immigration Canada ask us to send originals of every document, except to keep the original Sponsorship Agreement form and send in a copy of it to them (you know the one with the declarations signed by the sponsor and applicant)?

Any ideas? I at first thought well it's a way they can commit sponsors and applicants to their responsibilities, but doesn't a photocopy of it do the same? Wouldn't they want the original? Someone told me upon landing you will be requested to present this at customs and immigration, but I haven't read that anywhere.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadianDude said:
I've got a curious question. Why does Immigration Canada ask us to send originals of every document, except to keep the original Sponsorship Agreement form and send in a copy of it to them (you know the one with the declarations signed by the sponsor and applicant)?

Any ideas? I at first thought well it's a way they can commit sponsors and applicants to their responsibilities, but doesn't a photocopy of it do the same? Wouldn't they want the original? Someone told me upon landing you will be requested to present this at customs and immigration, but I haven't read that anywhere.
They tell you to keep the original because it's a legal contract between you (the sponsor) and the Canadian government. You should always keep an original of any contract you sign. It would make sense to do 2 originals, one for them and one for you. But they don't.

No, they won't request it at landing.

CanadianDude

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-09-2010
AOR Received.
18-10-2010
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
Med's Done....
25-07-2010
Passport Req..
24-06-2011
I guess that makes sense. I am tempted to frame it and keep it next to our bedside so that my wife and I can be reminded of the "struggle" we went (and are currently going through) just to be together :(

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Sorry to ask my own question in your thread CanadianDude but it is related to your question and I hope you don't mind.

My question is for rjessome: We accidentally sent in the original Sponsorship Agreement with the application and kept a copy for ourselves. I was told that was not a problem and that CIC would send back the original and make a copy for themselves. However, it has almost been 7 months since receiving our application and they still have yet to send the original back. What do you recommend we do? I was thinking that after we get AIP and the app is transferred to our local CIC office that we can go there and ask that they give us the original. Do you think this would be alright or would you recommend something else? Thank you.

dudebr

Star Member
May 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't matter too much since most of the time at the day of the landing they will ask the sponsor person to sign the same agreement again, since this same agreement starts at the day the sponsored person becomes PR holder.
That's why they require the sponsor person to attend the landing interview.

My friend who just became PR asked about that( why the sponsor has to come w the sponsored person to the landing interview) at the day if her interview and that's what they answer, that the sponsor has to sign the agreement sheet at the same day which the sponsored person becomes PR.

CanadianDude

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-09-2010
AOR Received.
18-10-2010
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
Med's Done....
25-07-2010
Passport Req..
24-06-2011
dudebr said:
It doesn't matter too much since most of the time at the day of the landing they will ask the sponsor person to sign the same agreement again, since this same agreement starts at the day the sponsored person becomes PR holder.
That's why they require the sponsor person to attend the landing interview.

My friend who just became PR asked about that( why the sponsor has to come w the sponsored person to the landing interview) at the day if her interview and that's what they answer, that the sponsor has to sign the agreement sheet at the same day which the sponsored person becomes PR.
You have kind of answered a question I posed in a separate thread. So is this landing interview done on the date of landing or at a separate date? If so, is this when the PR card is also issued?

thanks!

dudebr

Star Member
May 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadianDude said:
You have kind of answered a question I posed in a separate thread. So is this landing interview done on the date of landing or at a separate date? If so, is this when the PR card is also issued?

thanks!
Oh sorry I don't want to cOnfuse you, my answer applies only for those doing the INLAND route.