+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse that I have previously separated from...

cnd_grl

Dec 6, 2014
Hello all,

This may seem a somewhat odd question... My spouse and I are separated, and my PR application reflects that. However, it appears that there may be some chance of us having a reconciliation. If this were to happen, am I still able to sponsor him to come to join me in Canada at a later date? I assume that CIC would expect some type of explanation from me?

Thanks,
CDN_GRL

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll need to provide more information. If you're saying that your PR application indicated that you were separated and that for this reason you did not include your spouse in your application (i.e. your spouse was not medically examined and did not go through the background/security check) - then you should expect that you will NOT be able to sponsor him in the future if you reconcile.

Unfortunately there have been too many people who have abused this process in the past. Even if you reconcile, your spouse will likely have to immigrate independently rather than being sponsored by you.

cnd_grl

Dec 6, 2014
scylla said:
You'll need to provide more information. If you're saying that your PR application indicated that you were separated and that for this reason you did not include your spouse in your application (i.e. your spouse was not medically examined and did not go through the background/security check) - then you should expect that you will NOT be able to sponsor him in the future if you reconcile.

Unfortunately there have been too many people who have abused this process in the past. Even if you reconcile, your spouse will likely have to immigrate independently rather than being sponsored by you.
I changed my marital status to "Separated" in the middle of my PR process, prior to receiving my PPR. His medical was upfront and submitted, PCC was also submitted for him.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
cnd_grl said:
I changed my marital status to "Separated" in the middle of my PR process, prior to receiving my PPR. His medical was upfront and submitted, PCC was also submitted for him.
In that case he possibly WAS examined as an original part of your application and therefore is possibly still eligible to be sponsored. You might as well try, as there is little to lose. You might want to consider ordering your GCMS notes to see how far he was processed before you pulled the plug. If no processing was done, then you are probably out of luck.

cnd_grl

Dec 6, 2014
zardoz said:
In that case he possibly WAS examined as an original part of your application and therefore is possibly still eligible to be sponsored. You might as well try, as there is little to lose. You might want to consider ordering your GCMS notes to see how far he was processed before you pulled the plug. If no processing was done, then you are probably out of luck.

This is what the GCMS notes say prior to my "Removal request":

CRIMINALITY:
PA:- RCMP Screening: No reportable trace. – Police Certificates:-India: No reportable trace. – Kuwait: No reportable trace.
Spouse/Common Law:- – Police Certificates:-India: – Kuwait:
All required PCs received and there seems to be no A36 concerns evident. I note that the SPOUSE was residing in Kuwait at the time of lock-in. Updated PC may be required.
MEDICALS:- MEDICALS NOT STARTED FOR ALL APPLICANTS PA:- Current medical status: Passed. Valid until: 06JUL2015. Spouse/Common Law:- Meds re-evaluation requested. RECOMMENDATION: REVIEW REQUIRED BY OFFICER

Since I requested for the GCMS, his details are blank but it looks like his Criminality records look fine until then. Do you still think I have a chance to sponsor him at a later date in case we reconcile? They received my removal request in January and my new GCMS notes just says the only update is that they have just received it. They havent done anything yet.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cnd_grl said:
Since I requested for the GCMS, his details are blank but it looks like his Criminality records look fine until then. Do you still think I have a chance to sponsor him at a later date in case we reconcile? They received my removal request in January and my new GCMS notes just says the only update is that they have just received it. They havent done anything yet.
It's really impossible for any of us to say for certain. You might be able to sponsor him in the future or you might not. It's difficult to say how CIC will handle your case.