+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring parents and sister

easylife

Oct 15, 2012
hi,
i am new immigrant, landed here in canada two weeks before, my husband sponsored me. i want to sponsor my parents and my sister who is under 18 years, how can i do that? what would be the short/long term strategy for the process?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Re: s*censored word*ing parents and sister

For one, you will not be able to sponsor your sister.

For two, the sponsoring of parents is on hold right now, the only thing you can do is apply for them to get a supervisa. However, since you cannot sponsor your sister, I'm thinking you don't want to separate your sister and your parents from each other.

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
easylife said:
hi,
i am new immigrant, landed here in canada two weeks before, my husband sponsored me. i want to sponsor my parents and my sister who is under 18 years, how can i do that? what would be the short/long term strategy for the process?
Pretty sure you cannot. Hopefully somebody with a little more knowledge may help but I believe you have to have been a PR at least 3 years before sponsoring anybody. There is a lot more criteria as well. I am not sure that you can sponsor your sister. This is a long long process for you. First things first you must be a PR of Canada for at least 3 years before sponsoring anybody. :D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You cannot sponsor your parents at this time. As others have said, parent sponsorship applications are not being accepted at this time. It's expected that CIC will start accepting applications again in November of 2013.

The most your parents can do right now is apply for the super visa which will allow them to come to Canada as tourists for an extended period of time. Unfortunately your sister cannot be included in the super visa application. More information about the super visa is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa.asp

Your sister can try applying for a regular tourist visa.

easylife

Oct 15, 2012
easylife said:
hi,

Thank you folks for your inputs :) I did read up on Super Visa requirements for parents which was very helpful indeed.

I was, however, wondering if I could act as a sponsor for my sister. According to CIC website:

"You can sponsor:

- brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
- another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
- accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children)."

it seems I do at least meet the eligibility criteria for sponsoring my sister who is 15 right now? Of course a minimum income threshold is required and I realize that I do have to work on that :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
easylife said:
"You can sponsor:

- brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
- another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
- accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children)."

it seems I do at least meet the eligibility criteria for sponsoring my sister who is 15 right now? Of course a minimum income threshold is required and I realize that I do have to work on that :)
You would only qualify to sponsor your sister if she was an orphan. Since your parents are still alive, she doesn't qualify to be sponsored.