+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Nephew

MAH

Jan 30, 2009
I have been reading on CIC website how I can sponsor a family class member, Nephew 20 years old.

I want to quote here some para's from CIC website that I didn't understand.

Application to sponsor a member of the family class

This application is for Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada who wish to sponsor close family members living abroad, including:

* parents
* grandparents
* children adopted outside of Canada or intended to be adopted in Canada
* brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, grandsons or granddaughters who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner
* any other family member if there is no spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, registered Indian or permanent resident or whom you may sponsor.

Can I sponsor my nephew using this category as he is 20 years old. Last part of the above in bold " any other family member....." is confusing for me. I have an aunt living in Ontario 88 years old.

Or to simply put it like this
How and in which category I can sponsor my 20 year old nephew still studying (done on and off some job).?
And is it possible that I can apply from here (canada) for him.?
I am a permanent resident and living in Canada for more than 2 1/2 years.

Thanks and regards

MAH

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

MAH said:
I have been reading on CIC website how I can sponsor a family class member, Nephew 20 years old.

This application is for Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada who wish to sponsor close family members living abroad, including:

* parents
* grandparents
* brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, grandsons or granddaughters who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner
* any other family member if there is no spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, registered Indian or permanent resident or whom you may sponsor.

Can I sponsor my nephew using this category as he is 20 years old. Last part of the above in bold " any other family member....." is confusing for me. I have an aunt living in Ontario 88 years old.

How and in which category I can sponsor my 20 year old nephew still studying (done on and off some job).?

Thanks and regards

MAH
Nope, you have an aunt in Canada, also I assume that you have never been married and you have no children. So you can't sponsor him (there is a family stream if you live in Man/Alta)

PMM

stealth

Star Member
Sep 3, 2008
Don't want to make a new thread.

But can my mother sponsor my cousin? He is 21, and in school. She has no family here, except for me and my brother.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

stealth said:
Don't want to make a new thread.

But can my mother sponsor my cousin? He is 21, and in school. She has no family here, except for me and my brother.
No, she has family in Canada.

PMM

agnes0910

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
UAE
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
03-08-2021
Hi ppm!
My case is like this. I have an aunt in canada she's a canadian citizen. She doesnt have spouse or any child and doesnt have any immediate relative in canada. I am 24 yrs old now working as a nurse. My questiom is my aunt eligible to sponsor me?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
agnes0910 said:
Hi ppm!
My case is like this. I have an aunt in canada she's a canadian citizen. She doesnt have spouse or any child and doesnt have any immediate relative in canada. I am 24 yrs old now working as a nurse. My questiom is my aunt eligible to sponsor me?
If your aunt's parents are both deceased, then if she has no family in Canada she can sponsor you.

If at least one of your aunt's parents are alive anywhere in the world, then there is an immigration stream available to sponsor them so she can't sponsor you. Parents take precedent over any "other" family member so it doesn't matter even if she had no intention to ever sponsor them.

biag_ni_lam-ang

Star Member
Nov 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2015
AOR Received.
01-01-2016 (AOR2) 23-01-2016
File Transfer...
08-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-08-2015
Interview........
waive
Passport Req..
24-06-2016 DM- 06/07/2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-1016
LANDED..........
In GOD's perfectime
MAH said:

* parents
* grandparents

Thanks and regards

MAH

Who you can sponsor

Depending on your circumstances, there are two options for who you can sponsor.
Option 1 – Orphaned close relatives

You can sponsor close relatives, related by blood or adoption, such as brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren only if they meet all of the following conditions:

1.They are orphaned,
2.They are under 18, and
3.They do not have a spouse, common law partner, or conjugal partner.

Option 2 – Other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the following conditions:

you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:
1. son or daughter,
2. parent,
3. grandparent,
4. brother or sister,
5. uncle, aunt,
nephew or niece.
6.you do not have any of the above-named relatives who is a:
Canadian citizen,
permanent resident, or
registered Indian under the Indian Act.

If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

If your relative does not qualify for sponsorship they may still be able to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant through Express Entry. Express Entry manages applications for certain economic immigration programs and selects applicants for their skills, experience and ability to contribute to Canada’s economy. Express Entry candidates may be awarded points for having a family member living in Canada.

agnes0910

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
UAE
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
03-08-2021
agnes0910 said:
Hi ppm!
Thanks PPM. I am having confusion as my aunt had 1st cousin in canada. Do you think she can still sponsor me inspite of having 1st cousin with her in canada? Because that will also fall in family class sponsorship although it says there that cousin is not included.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
agnes0910 said:
Thanks PPM. I am having confusion as my aunt had 1st cousin in canada. Do you think she can still sponsor me inspite of having 1st cousin with her in canada? Because that will also fall in family class sponsorship although it says there that cousin is not included.
Cousins are not part of the family class sponsorship, so you can't sponsor cousins. Your aunt can sponsor you (niece/nephew) despite aunt having 1st cousin in Canada.

agnes0910

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
UAE
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
03-08-2021
Thank you so much screech for answering my queries. One more thing, do you have any idea how long will be the processing?
screech339 said:
Cousins are not part of the family class sponsorship, so you can't sponsor cousins. Your aunt can sponsor you (niece/nephew) despite aunt having 1st cousin in Canada.

Oct 22, 2016
Re: Sponsoring Niece

Both my wife and I are Canadian citizens. Could we sponsor her niece who is 22 years of age from the Philippines? Her mom passed away during childbirth. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: Sponsoring Niece

california5762 said:
Both my wife and I are Canadian citizens. Could we sponsor her niece who is 22 years of age from the Philippines? Her mom passed away during childbirth. Thanks
No - you can't.

She will have to qualify to immigrate on her own.