+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife

royduo1

Jan 2, 2014
EDIT: its 28 days + 9 months

My wife is a Chinese national currently studying in Canada. I'm going to sponsor her for permanent residency. I'm still sort of split between doing this inland or outland. It seems to me that it is far more advantageous to apply outland than it is to apply within Canada.

It seems to me that if I apply outland, it would take a grand total of 28 days + 9 days(Beijing, China) to complete "Assessment of Sponsor" and "Assessment of Person Being Sponsored (applicant)". Compared to the 11 months shown on the CIC site, it just seems too good to be true. Can someone who has knowledge of all this lay it out for me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
royduo1 said:
It seems to me that if I apply outland, it would take a grand total of 28 days + 9 days(Beijing, China)
It's 9 months for Beijing. Not 9 days.

royduo1

Jan 2, 2014
That clears things up, I misread it terribly. However, wouldn't that still put outland applications ahead of inland? What are some pros and cons of each?

EDIT: Thanks for replying scylla

EDIT: Since my wife is currently an international student here in Canada, would it be more advisable to apply inland or outland?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
royduo1 said:
Since my wife is currently an international student here in Canada, would it be more advisable to apply inland or outland?
No, it's still better to apply outland since it's quicker.

With outland you will often have full PR in less time then it takes for just stage 1 of inland. Also with outland you can come and go from Canada as you want with no worries of having application cancelled. With inland you are supposed to stay within Canada during entire processing time.

For outland you have to maintain status as visitor/student/worker in Canada on your own as there is no implied status. So if her student visa expires before the PR is granted and she can't get new study or visitor status, she would need to return to China to wait out processing.

Also with outland in case an interview is required, it would be in applicant's country of citizenship so would have to travel back there. Although interviews are usually rare unless there are red flags in the application.