+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife, who lives in the Philippines.

louieong

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2009
AOR Received.
08-01-2010
Passport Req..
19-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2010
LANDED..........
25-06-2010
Good afternoon to everybody. I recently got married here in the Philippines, I am sponsoring my wife to be a Canadian immigrant. Will it be faster and easier to file it here in the Philippines or back in Canada. I am currently unemployed, due to the reason that I got married here and was away from Canada of more than 6 months, so my company have to let me go. ( I understand and hold no ill feelings towards my company that they let me go )

1) Will that be a reason for the Canadian immigration not to approve my application? even I have sufficient funds.

2) Do I need to have a job before I can sponsor my wife?

3) If someone has any suggestion, please reply to this topic, will really appreciate it.

I just want us to be together.

Sincerely to all of you
Louie

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you a citizen or a PR? If you are a PR, you must be in Canada to sponsor your wife. If you are a citizen, you can sponsor your wife from the Philippines but must show CIC that you have plans to settle in Canada if PR is granted. In either case, the applications are first sent to CIC Mississauga for sponsorship approval and then to the relevant embassy, in your case, Manilla.

You do not need a job to be eligible to sponsor. You cannot be collecting welfare or have an undischarged bankruptcy. However, by the time the visa office is reviewing your file, it is advisable for you to have a job so that, if asked, your wife can show that you can support the two of you until she is settled in Canada.

louieong

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2009
AOR Received.
08-01-2010
Passport Req..
19-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2010
LANDED..........
25-06-2010
Thank you very much for replying Rjessome; I really appreciate it.

I am a citizen of Canada, and am here right now in the Philippines. I plan to get a job ASAP once I go back to Toronto which is on Nov 7, 09. Do I need to be working for a whole year, before they will consider my sponsorship?

How do they assess my financial situation? is it through income coming from working for a company, or can it be from trading stocks and savings?

What is the amount of my gross income needed? in order to satisfy CIC.

Thank you for your advice, I feel a little bit better.

Sincerely
Louie

mrsmyle

Apr 1, 2009
From sponsor's guide:

You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past
12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You
may solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common-law partner). If you
reside in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.
This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only
· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no dependent children, or
· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner whose dependent children have no
children of their own, or
· your dependent child who has no children of his or her own.

You may refer to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf for more information on sponsoring your spouse.

Hope this helps

louieong

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2009
AOR Received.
08-01-2010
Passport Req..
19-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2010
LANDED..........
25-06-2010
Thank you, I have to read the guide for a couple of times before I understand that I do not need to provide 12 months financial resources. Thank you for pointing it out to me, MrsMyle =)

And also, I recently received an email from one of the member, she states that, no matter whether you have a job or not as long as you are not on welfare. Then you can file for sponsorship. ( It is like this Canada can't deny a spousal application based on money- it doesn't mean only the rich and has job can fall in love and sponsor so you are free for that obligation as long as you are not in welfare. Please file now ok and good luck. ) I hope this is really true. This email made me feel so much better.

If anyone can verify this, please share your experience. Thank you very much to all who have read this post.

Sincerely
Louie

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Correct, you don't have to have an income to sponsor a spouse. That's why even housewifes can sponsor their husbands to come to Canada or people who are still in college and don't have an income worth mentioning.
The only thing CIC needs to know is that you're not on welfare and are not bankrupt. However, it's always a good idea to include a note somewhere explaining how you intend to provide for your wife when she comes to Canada. If you have savings, mention them or if family has offered to help, explain that.

louieong

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2009
AOR Received.
08-01-2010
Passport Req..
19-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2010
LANDED..........
25-06-2010
Thank you mitamata. =) This forum helped us a lot.

Sincerely
Louie